• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trygstad 872 vs. Turbo

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I would read the fine print on this warranty. I have a hard time imagining BRP would stand behind a bigbore or any other engine mod. They have a fit if you throw on a silencer or run a different oil. My guess is the sled will retain warranty except for any engine issues related to the BB....so electronics, injectors and the rest of the sled are still covered. ?? Curious what the details are.

B
Jan 19, 2013
xm

I run a trig big bore doo, but also have a 800 poo silbered, I figure I'd visit the dark side with boost and hold off on doo boost till someone gets it right, my doo turned into a trailer queen fast. No way you will even be close to a good running turbo, period that I can tell ya.

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
So not stock compression head.... need more octane!. ETECs Trigstad run perfectly on premium gas :face-icon-small-coo

he builds them for the altitude you ride, and if your not going to go for more horse power,why would you buy a kit?????????? where you going with this?

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
I know Gus won't like this...

but installed an Aero on a Buddies '14 XM 163. He weighs 300 without gear. I tried to convince him to go TP or TSS, but it works flawless! Has all season. I can't confirm mileage as I don't ride with him all the time, but last time I rode with him he had over 1000 miles on it! No bog or hesitation. Maybe its cause us Whiskey throttle Canadians ride full on or full off?

Gros Chien

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Qc,Can. & Whistler in the winter
he builds them for the altitude you ride, and if your not going to go for more horse power,why would you buy a kit?????????? where you going with this?

I guess what I'm trying to get to here is until there is a real good running turbo Doo kit that runs flawless, BB is still a better option. I get your point though and it does make sense to have Dave build you a bigger HP kit but the 872 ETEC kit, with ± 20 hp gain(trigstad claim) has the advantage , ''with some skidoo dealers'', of keeping some sort of warranty. (Star Valley Skidoo for example).

C
Jan 6, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
Was in the same dilemma at the beginning of the season. Sooooooooo happy I went with a Silber. Can run 2psi & still have more power then a big bore. Sure very rarely you might get the occasional bog but who cares. When you only have to give 1/2 - 3/4 throttle & still wheeling up hills where as everyone else has to pin it you will be more then happy!!!!!

dave@trygstadmotorsports

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2012
www.trygstad-motorsports.com

Thank you for the responses. I am leaning more towards the 872 pretty heavy

M1
Just a few facts about my sales of our highly successful 872 Etec Big bore.
A good portion of our sales are to customers that have or have had turbo
Ski Doo's and are parking-selling there Turbo sleds and going to the proven Etec 872 from us, This has been an increasing trend over the last year,
Customers points are they are tired of the tuning, fuel requirements, fuel
economy and lack of low end performance for there desired riding styles.
This is not isolated to a small number of customers that have made this
change! I get the phone calls daily,

We have been building this great performing package for over 5 years!
Give us a call and let us get you to one of our 40 Plus BRP dealers and try
one out for yourself! Our backed RMSHA professional racers continue to
rack up the wins every weekend on the proven 872.s we build, Much more
to come!

Dave Trygstad
507-281-3545
http://trygstad-motorsports.com
Your Leader in Rotax Performance and Development!

S

ShaneO

Dec 4, 2007
Chilliwack,BC
www.oconnorgroup.com
Came off a turbo to the 872 for the exact reason Dave explains here. Didnt like the bog and having to tune all the time. My 872 runs flawless and after doing a little clutch work, I love it. A turbo is a different animal. Lots of guys love them, me, i love the pull and go with crisp throttle. Dave will sell alot of them in my area next year based off the results of mine. This in combination with the Cammo X3 is the best sled i have had to date.

Last edited:
A

arctic cat m1

Dec 19, 2008
So is it a factory warranty? Or an after market warranty? A dealer only warranty? A Trystad warranty?

Ace

When I snow checked the sled I asked him about turbos and he told me to go with the big bore kit because ski doo will keep the warranty. I only snow checked the sled and told him I would let him know what I was going to do before I picked it up figuring I had all summer to research and decide. I never got into who the warranty was through but he made it sound like ski doo was keeping the warranty with them. Also I ride anywhere from 5000 to 10000 feet in Montana so is that going to play a factor into the big bore?

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
When I snow checked the sled I asked him about turbos and he told me to go with the big bore kit because ski doo will keep the warranty. I only snow checked the sled and told him I would let him know what I was going to do before I picked it up figuring I had all summer to research and decide. I never got into who the warranty was through but he made it sound like ski doo was keeping the warranty with them. Also I ride anywhere from 5000 to 10000 feet in Montana so is that going to play a factor into the big bore?

I would have to call BS on the warranty thing! No way they will warranty anything motor involved with a big bore and if they do can I get there number?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I would read the fine print on this warranty. I have a hard time imagining BRP would stand behind a bigbore or any other engine mod. They have a fit if you throw on a silencer or run a different oil. My guess is the sled will retain warranty except for any engine issues related to the BB....so electronics, injectors and the rest of the sled are still covered. ?? Curious what the details are.

Yes you are right. You fail the engine your on you own, the rest of the sled is still covered. You remember the story I told you about my brother Paul? With his engine?

I'd love more power but I'm having a really hard time justifying tearing apart a perfectly good engine to risk the cost my brother went through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A

arctic cat m1

Dec 19, 2008
I am really skeptic about the warranty also but if I do the big bore I am going to make sure its in writing and really read the fine print like was mentioned. If the big bore voids the warranty I might as well go with a turbo. I might go to the dealer tomorrow and talk to him more about the warranty and what the details of it are.

A
Dec 19, 2011
big bores vs turbos isnt apples to apples.

If you have that "tuning gene" turbos are where its at, they are more work, more money. But they are just that MORE a turbo at 10lbs clutched well is a whole new level of power to any big bore. higher in elevation the more a turbo shines

For simplistic, smiles and cost vs hp you cant beat a big bore.

big bore 2-3 grand
turbo 5-8 grand (even more if you get the best of the best)

I like simple, I might do a turbo someday but you just cant go wrong with a big bore, there are 3 guys putting out what seem tobe truley pull and go kits.

Last edited:
Premium Features