• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Kurts Gear Down Kit and Clutching Question

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
Looking at doing a gear down kit for my AXYS and I have a few questions for those who have done it.

Kurts: 2.37:1 --> ~$600.
Pro Gears 2.1:1 --> ~$425-450 (Gears from eBay and new Belt from Polaris)

Not much difference in price, pretty big difference in ratios. I keep reading "lower the better". Kurts worth it price wise vs Pro gears?

Secondly, I plan on adding an SLP Pipe to the sled with this, I have the can already.

What should I do for clutching? I would like lower belt temps and better back shifting. Kurt's makes a kit, SLP has its clutching for the pipe.

Tempted to just drop it off at Carl's and tell them to do what they do.

EDIT:. 6K - 7.5K. typical elevation, ride alot in the tree's. Good base with fluff or DEEP and slightly heavy snow are typical conditions.

Last edited:

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
I paid 150cad for both qd pro ride gears, and you reuse your axys qd strap. Money wise there's no comparison.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Looking at doing a gear down kit for my AXYS and I have a few questions for those who have done it.

Kurts: 2.37:1 --> ~$600.
Pro Gears 2.1:1 --> ~$425-450 (Gears from eBay and new Belt from Polaris)

Not much difference in price, pretty big difference in ratios. I keep reading "lower the better". Kurts worth it price wise vs Pro gears?

Secondly, I plan on adding an SLP Pipe to the sled with this, I have the can already.

What should I do for clutching? I would like lower belt temps and better back shifting. Kurt's makes a kit, SLP has its clutching for the pipe.

Tempted to just drop it off at Carl's and tell them to do what they do.

EDIT:. 6K - 7.5K. typical elevation, ride alot in the tree's. Good base with fluff or DEEP and slightly heavy snow are typical conditions.

Is Kurt's ratio factoring in the 7T 2.86" drivers?
Yes the Pro-Ride QD pulleys have a 2.10:1 ratio, but with factoring in the 7T 2.86 pitch drivers, the final ratio is, if I remember right, something like 2.39:1.

Is there something wrong with your original QD belt? You still need the Axys QD belt even though you would be using the Pro-Ride QD pulleys. The Pro-Ride QD belt will not fit on the Axys.

Last edited:

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
Other than having 1500 miles on it, no my QD belt is OKAY. From the reading I did, I was under the impression you needed the pro belt. The axys belt was an extremely tight fit and may not work.

I'll have to do some more reading I guess on belts with pro gears.

Good question, I don't know if the drivers are accounted for the ratios.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Other than having 1500 miles on it, no my QD belt is OKAY. From the reading I did, I was under the impression you needed the pro belt. The axys belt was an extremely tight fit and may not work.

With 1500 miles on your original QD belt, play it safe and get a new one. Yes, you have to have the Axys QD belt regardless of which set of QD pulleys you use. The Pro-Ride is a bit shorter than the Axys QD belt and will NOT fit.... Also you can not mix the Axys & Pro-Ride QD pulleys. I was the first to do the Pro-Ride pulleys on an Axys sled back in September 2015 and I'm still using the Pro-Ride pulleys AND my original Axys QD belt. No, I don't get as many miles as most, but with having a BMP stage 3 kit, then a BMP 860 kit and now back to an 800HO with a Boondocker Sidekick Switch on high pressure, my QD belt has been abused.

Last edited:

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada

it's pro ride pulleys and axys belt the right combo

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
With 1500 miles on your original QD belt, play it safe and get a new one. Yes, you have to have the Axys QD belt regardless of which set of QD pulleys you use. The Pro-Ride is a bit shorter than the Axys QD belt and will NOT fit.... Also you can not mix the Axys & Pro-Ride QD pulleys. I was the first to do the Pro-Ride pulleys on an Axys sled back in September 2015 and I'm still using the Pro-Ride pulleys AND my original Axys QD belt. No, I don't get as many miles as most, but with having a BMP stage 3 kit, then a BMP 860 kit and now back to an 800HO with a Boondocker Sidekick Switch on high pressure, my QD belt has been abused.

Thanks for the feedback! The lack of pulleys current makes the price pretty close to a wash, and the kurts belts are 50% cheaper than Polaris.

I'll have to keep my eye open for a good deal on used over the summer.

Kurts website states "final drive ratio", so I think the 2.37 takes into consideration the drivers. I sent them a message to get some clarification.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Kurts is 2.37, pro pulleys 2.39. That’s final drive with 7t 2.86p drivers.

Premium Features