• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 nytro with 2010 subframe ?

P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
My 2008 nytro needed a sub frame after a few seasons of abuse. I decided to go with the 2010 sub frame for the reinforcements it came with . Now im not sure what other front end parts i need? can i use my 2008 a arms and spindles or are the 2010 parts different ? so far the plan is to order a set of Cr racing a arms and use my 2008 spindles . will this work ?

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
The 2010 spindles and a arms are different. You should still be able to use your 2008 if you want, the spindle angle etc is different so you can't mix and match. On the CR front end just ask Chad if the a arms and spindles will mix. Most aftermarket a arms are designed to use stock spindles, but some are designed with their spindle only.

S

SPOOLED

Dec 4, 2007
northern bc
the spindles are the same and the lower control arms are the same its just the uppers that are different you need to change the pins and bushings and order the 2010 arms from chad, to work with the 2010 sub frame.

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
the spindles are the same and the lower control arms are the same its just the uppers that are different you need to change the pins and bushings and order the 2010 arms from chad, to work with the 2010 sub frame.

Are you sure about the spindles being the same? Pretty sure they are different from the 2008 to the 2010 mtx or any of the versions with the new geometry front end.

G
Mar 13, 2009
Western NY
I installed a 2010 frame in my 08 FX Nytro RTX. The updated frame fits all 08-10 Nytros. If you want to update the front end geometry like the 09's you'll need to change spindles and A-arms. The 2010 frame is suppose to have stronger gussets but I've heard reports that it's no better than the previous version so I welded gussets in. http://s589.photobucket.com/albums/ss337/grizztracks/Nytro subframe gusset/

gussetlocation.jpg

P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
thanks! great info . did you have to change any thing bolting the 2008 arms into the 2010 frame. I'm trying to get a hold of ulmer racing to order a set of oil lite bushings . i see they have a different part number for 2008 bushing kit and an 09 10 bushing kit ? the 2010 frame is WAY better than my old 08 frame . i would bend it catching a skag towords the end of its life . keep in mind when you hit some thing its good to have one thing bend instead of a couple things :face-icon-small-hap

G
Mar 13, 2009
Western NY
The 2010 frame is completely compatible with a 2008 Nytro. The 08 a-arms, sway bar, plastic..... all fit. I also installed the Ulmer bushings in my 2008 Nytro. Because there was a change to the a-arms in 09, the 08 and 09 bushing kits are different (order the 08 kit for 08 a-arms). When installing the bushings be careful not to brake the flange on the upper bushings. Ther're thin and brittle. A bushing driver is recommended for installation but if you don't have a set a socket can be used to drive them in. Putting the bushings in a freezer to shrink them also helps.

The biggest improvement in the frame since 2008 is the addition of the large rear gusset plate. The smaller plate added between the a-arm mounts does very little in reducing bending caused by low impact. Even with the 2010 materials update to the gusset it's not strong enough and more importantly it's not located properly in the frame. The lower a-arm mounts are weak and also need addition support. The gusset that I added strengthens the mounts and lower subframe by tying them together. If you're installing a new frame I'd add similar gussets.

This is what I believe happens when the Nytro experiences a one sided low impact hit.
bendingforce.jpg

Premium Features