• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking of a Winthrop area ride this week....any suggestions?

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Happy New Year all. The boys and I are thinking of hitting Winthrop for a couple day get away. Thought it might be fun to do some of the North Cascade hiway on a sled. We are mountain riders with avy training and all the right gear. We love the back country and are safe riders. Any one familiar with the area or live locally? Any suggestions of areas to check out. We would gladly trade some local knowledge or guiding for a trip to our back yard in the Rossland/Castlegar area. Any advice on places to go or avoid due to conditions is appreciated.
Any suggestions for lodging/food/drink. We are not Ritz Carlton folk, but not on a tight budget sleeping 5 to a single room either. Just looking to see some new places and have a little fun before the boys head back to college.

Thanks in advance. EW

P
Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville WA
Harts pass would be the best bet, hwy 20 is not so fun. Pine Near trailer park has rentals that are not that bad and only about 20 mins from town to Yellowjacket snow park. Trailer park is just on top of the hill above town and easy access to good eats and drinks.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Thanks WFO, is Harts pass on a trail map either local or NFS? Where do you unload. Any place you shouldn't go? Thanks again. EW

P
Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville WA
Yes its on maps can't remember which is best as my cousin lives there and we have learned just from him. You will unload at yellowjacket sno-park, west on 20 from town to the Mazama turnoff go right then next left and follow to sno park on right about 6-8 miles.

T

TooDeepTodd

Methow

We will be riding both Harts and hwy 20 up Liberty Bell and through to Washington Pass on Tuesday and Wednesday. Ride up there lots, if you need some advice or directions call tomorrow morning or tomorrow night and we'll send you the right direction.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Looks like we are having a last minute plan change. Heading to McCall for this weekend so the boys will be closer to school (Pullman & Helena) for when they go back on Sunday.

I have done quite a bit of research on Winthrop/riding areas and will be going there soon. Thanks for the offer and contact info Todd, wish we could have hooked up with ya. I'll send a pm when I can get that way and see if you are around. I'm kinda slow this time of year and can ride about any time.

Thanks again all, Winthrop is next on the list. EW

T

TooDeepTodd

Good choice

Harts was really tore up (but snowing hard when we left and projected to snow through the weekend) but should get significantly better in the VERY near future. Base is perfect, any snow on top is beat to chit and the road...ok trail...ish is 14 miles of kidney busting B.S.

Hwy 20...much better road in (actually had fun on the ride in and out) and the spots to ride are harder to find (aka... most people don't bother to look for them) so they were mostly untouched if you stay this side of Rainey pass. Avalanche crossings at liberty bell 1 and 2 are still relatively small and easy to get over. The annex has sled several times and is very set-up now with a nice 18-24" pow on top and NO tracks....sept mine:face-icon-small-hap The trick to finding untouched is go DOWN from the road. Every wuss out there tries to go up cause they don't want to get stuck below the road, good plan if you can't get back out but silly if you can. Be VERY careful in the large field of POW to the north at the summit. It can be very tempting and is great fun, but there is a LOT of water in there and in poor vis or if traveling too fast it is very likely you will be fishing your sled out of a deep hole (been there).

Good Luck and "Drive fast...take chances"

Premium Features