• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gearing options

W
Nov 26, 2007
RENNER SD
Hey all.

My brother just bought an '04 Summit X 159. The sled currently has a 19 tooth top and 43 bottom for gearing with 9 tooth 2.52 pitch drivers. I am assuming this is stock gearing.

I was thinking about bumping up the bottom gear to a 45 tooth for a little more bottom end.

I was just curious what others have done.

Thanks

wreckmaster

bohrer54

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2011
ND
I have 19t- 47t on my 04 summit with a 159" track and 9t drivers, I think it works really well. It still has plenty of top end.

bohrer54

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2011
ND
My chaincase is extended so i needed a longer chain with that. Some one has a chart for stock gears and chain links i will see if i can find it.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
My 04 Summit X 800HO is geared 19/47 and its turning a series 4 159x15x2 1/8 track and has nice snappy bottom end gets to RPM when ever I want and still has very fast top end, where we ride there isn`t alot of long straigh stretchs other than the Blues Mountains on the wide groomed trails but I can put the sled pretty high speeds not exactly sure bit feel like I can push it to easy 90mph + anyway still goes pretty scary fast feels like I going to get bucked off one day trying to keep up with my buddies 97 Summit 780 tripple mod sled thats Is Incredible fast and power..

When I change over to 163x16x2.5 going to leave this gearing the same.

Wildcard

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Not at this time but I could find out. I`m sure its the stock chain this sled was geared this way when I purchased it with the 144x16x2 stock track I should of rode it in the woods bet it was a wheelie monster, Lol

Wildcard

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Article about "gearing down"

Changing gear ratio does "something", it changes torque converted by the secondary clutch to the drive shaft; so then the results is a certain ability to maintain track speed at a certain load and/or normal distribution. Staying power is; endurance, a continuing of full power without sinking or yielding much to load variations.

If you keep that rule of thumb in the back of your head about "track speed staying power" and "you are going to achieve whatever track speed you are going to achieve."

The track speed you observe/achieve is by virtue of your available power, weight distribution, suspension calibration, sled attitude(angle) augering through the snow, add all these resisting forces up compared-to-the-power you apply, will reveal a certain track speed.
Heck, one can just merely change the “paddle type” on the track and gain 1~2mph track speed by virtue of the flexibility of the paddle itself. A softer paddle actually throws less snow out the back, less weight out the back, therefore higher track speed observed. (whether that makes any additional sled velocity is another story for another day)
By virtue of snow weight displacement, a 2.5 stiff paddle track can pump 8% more weight than a 2.5 soft paddle track 1 lbs of weight = 7 lbs on chassis.
.....and then remember as elevation increases in a climb, the engine power reduces a certain percent and the lower gearing helps compensate for load variations as power decreases, therefore helps maintain rock-solid track speed for longer period of time or maybe until you reduce throttle.

The secondary shaft speed increase (via a smaller top gear) performs more work done and resists the deceleration of the drive shaft (current track speed) to a lower track speed.

Remember this - there is a point to where one can go outside of the range that a primary spring can work efficiently with a certain gear ratio range. (bell curve) Gearing lower there is a point to where you might start to see rpms drift low.
Many people ask me "do i need to add flyweight when i gear lower" and that is not necessarily so. Dont put the cart before the horse. Change the gear, then go test at full throttle with the kind of exercise which is a representation of your normal driving for 80% of the time. Do the rpms drift low, yes or no?
If yes, then take a look at your primary spring forces. Say you were starting to drift low with a xxx/230. Raise the final force to the next stiffer force spring and that would be a xxx/260.

In a midrange track speed say at 45mph, the clutch could be using 195 lbs spring force. If you have rpms drift low then yes you can clicker up, but say you liked the start of the shift up to the rpms drifting low. Then only change the "portion" of the calibration to where you observed a deficiency.
A xxx/230 might reveal 195 lbs spring force at 45mph track speed.
A rule of thumb is 10 lbs increase of spring force will raise rpms by approximate 100.
So then where do you get a spring that can provide 10 more lbs at 45mph?
Answer - xxx/260. By only raising the final force, you will not be changing hardly any forces in the beginning of the shift, but rather at the shift portion where you observed rpms drifting low.
That xxx/260 will now put out 207 lbs spring force at 45mph track speed. The spring force is resisting the flyweight that is trying to push your engine rpms down.

ok...so go retest. Wow!...the rpms dont diminish at 45, 43, 42...etc anymore and now i might be getting 46, 46 45 46 and the track speed recovers and stays.

.........just trying to stir some thoughts. :becky:

Premium Features