• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 - 2012 Diesel Trucks - Opinions/Experiences

throttlejocky316

Lifetime Membership
Feb 10, 2009
Bickleton, Wa
Does the exhaust brake on the Dodge function through the ECU to work with the transmission, brake controller and skid control to help control the load (sway control)?

Dodge doesn't need sway control because it actually has a suspension that can support a heavy load.:face-icon-small-ton

TURBOCHARGER EXHAUST BRAKE FUNCTION -The VGT works in conjunction with the engine and transmission to provide an integrated braking system used to help slow the vehicle. This is commonly called exhaust braking. This braking power is achieved by modulating the turbo sliding nozzle ring to restrict the flow of exhaust gases from the engine, which in turn creates a high back pressure on the engine. The high back pressure creates a high level of resistance to the motion of the pistons within the engine and this resistance is used to reduce engine speed and thus vehicle speed.
The exhaust brake feature will only function when the driver turns the exhaust brake switch to the on position. Once the switch is in the on position and the vehicle is moving faster than 8 k/h (5 MPH); the exhaust brake will automatically operate when the driver removes pressure from the throttle pedal allowing the engine to see 0% throttle and 0 fuel delivery.
Exhaust braking is most effective when the engine RPM is higher. The automatic transmission has been programmed to downshift more aggressively when the exhaust brake is enabled to increase brake performance. Use of automatic transmission Tow/Haul Mode improves interaction between the engine and transmission. Inputs to the exhaust brake feature include:
· Coolant temperature
· Ambient air temperature
· Exhaust manifold pressure sensor
· Throttle pedal position sensor
·· Fault codes with any of these sensors will cause the exhaust brake feature to be disabled.
The exhaust brake feature can also be used to reduce the engine warm up time. To use the exhaust brake as a warm-up device, the vehicle must be moving less than 8 k/h (5 MPH), the exhaust brake switch must be in the on position, and the coolant temperature must below 82°C (180° F) and ambient temperature below 15.5°C (60° F).

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
And another victim has fallen pray to gm’s advertising and hype :gossip:. The lct 1000 = overrated

Not me...I'm on my second Allison and I love it. I hear horror stories of Dodge guys losing their transmissions and Ford guys not happy because they don't have a 6 spd. I'm sure the new trannys for the Dodge and Ford guys are much better but I'd never buy a 2005 Dodge Cummins. I came very close back then.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
There is some truth in that. the exhaust brake on the cummins is more effective than the dmax up to about 15000 lbs it seems like. On the really heavy load the dmax will just rev and stay in that gear and not gain much speed. But the 10k trailer that we have the cummins and its exhaust brake handle it much better than the dmax we used to have.

IMO there is nothing wrong with the dodge tranny. Other than I wish the converter would lock up in 3rd gear. Any tuner equipped truck will burn up a tranny if put in the right situation.

R

robertyoke

Dec 26, 2007
colorado
There is some truth in that. the exhaust brake on the cummins is more effective than the dmax up to about 15000 lbs it seems like. On the really heavy load the dmax will just rev and stay in that gear and not gain much speed. But the 10k trailer that we have the cummins and its exhaust brake handle it much better than the dmax we used to have.

IMO there is nothing wrong with the dodge tranny. Other than I wish the converter would lock up in 3rd gear. Any tuner equipped truck will burn up a tranny if put in the right situation.

the 68 rfe has the ability to lock the tc in all forward gears except 1st.

R

robertyoke

Dec 26, 2007
colorado
Drive the Allison with a real load and put that same load on a dodge. I promise you'll be in the brakes more with the dodge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

is that because the chevy will not even move it? lets see your REAL load that chevy is tuggin.

only have little girl trailers here.
1013000934a.jpg

574661735_2040075524_01.jpg

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
I was told that it didn't lock up in third and thats why you can't run a hotter tune on the stock TC and tranny. Is it different on the newer ones. I have an 08.

That Fork lift is a real load. I know I've towed them. I'm guessing about 28k including trailer?

Last edited:
R

robertyoke

Dec 26, 2007
colorado
I was told that it didn't lock up in third and thats why you can't run a hotter tune on the stock TC and tranny. Is it different on the newer ones. I have an 08.

That Fork lift is a real load. I know I've towed them. I'm guessing about 28k including trailer?

the 68's have not changed other then the vb is hard anodized and the tc is new for the H.O. motors. the pcm is intergraded into the ecm for the 09.5 and up trucks. most all stock trans(read that as ford, chevy or dodge) will only take about 200 ft lbs over stock then your on borrowed time. if your really nice to it it will last, or give it to a knuckle head and they can blow it up in a day. Have you done a trans tune? h&s or B&G, or you could go co-pilot

that trailer is 25k gross and truck 12k so im legal at 37k, with just the lift im usually at 35,500 ish +/- with fuel level. I been as heavy as 40k with tools and fork lift attachments, had to miss a few scales that day.
the 5er/toy hauler is no slouch as its gross is 17,999k. I think sometimes it a harder pull because of the wind factor.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
Yeah I was just talking the trailer and lift at 28k. Our Lull comes in at about that as well. I have the h&s mini max and usually run pretty easy on the throttle. no burnouts etc. haven't gotten the trans tune yet. I guess I was under the impression that until I got the trans tune it wouldn't lock in the lower gears and that was the main weakness in the 68?

R

robertyoke

Dec 26, 2007
colorado
Yeah I was just talking the trailer and lift at 28k. Our Lull comes in at about that as well. I have the h&s mini max and usually run pretty easy on the throttle. no burnouts etc. haven't gotten the trans tune yet. I guess I was under the impression that until I got the trans tune it wouldn't lock in the lower gears and that was the main weakness in the 68?

I think lulls are a little fatter then the gradalls:face-icon-small-ton

do the trans tune, so worth it. there was an article I read that B&G took a stock internal 68 rfe and put 700++ rwhp through it with just a trans tune.

kej

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Touchy huh? Dodge wasn't equipping exhaust brakes a couple years ago I didn't know they have them now. I still can't find an exhaust brake on the Dodge web page. Are you sure you are not thinking of engine (transmission) braking?

Touchy huh? Not at all, I can see by your lack of knowledge on Dodge standard equipment that your not into them. Thats fine, but to you stated the opts on your Denali as something special. Fact they were coming on Dodges years before and at much less cost.
I priced a new Denali with Dmax and for the less money I was able to buy a Dodge Laramie with comparable equipment and a new Pro for less $$. Fact.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Touchy huh? Not at all, I can see by your lack of knowledge on Dodge standard equipment that your not into them. Thats fine, but to you stated the opts on your Denali as something special. Fact they were coming on Dodges years before and at much less cost.
I priced a new Denali with Dmax and for the less money I was able to buy a Dodge Laramie with comparable equipment and a new Pro for less $$. Fact.

Good for you. In my book it was worth spending more money for the GMC. I wonder why they cost more? You are right...I don't know my Dodge stuff well. I've thought they were junk for a long time now. I think the new body/chassis is a huge improvement but I would be pissed if I bought a 2011 Dodge that wasn't even rated high enough to compete with Ford and GM. Then they release an HO version. I'd be pissed if I had the previous version. I'm cool with my rig and it sounds like you are with yours.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Resale on the Dodge is garbage. If the dodge is so much better why does the "market" say otherwise? NADA, KBB, blackbook, name anyone and the dodge will book far less.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Dodge has to be cheaper or they would not sell them. I bought one in 2005 last one I will buy after 50 to 60 thousand miles it was falling apart. I am realy looking at the new ford with the gas. Hope the eco makes is way into a v8 super duty.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
Resale on the Dodge is garbage. If the dodge is so much better why does the "market" say otherwise? NADA, KBB, blackbook, name anyone and the dodge will book far less.

I agree and disagree with you on this one. The dodges will book for less for the first few years. But I believe that is because they rebate them so heavily. And its a loaded fight in a way. msrp on the dodge is usually 4k less similarly equipped. Once you get about 5-6 old the value starts to flip. Then the dodges pull even and eventually are worth more. talking just diesels here. Go check it out. I was just booking out 04-06 cummins and dmax's. the cummins was worth more when equipped similarly.

Last edited:

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I took a 2007 Dodge in on trade. Leather, 1 ton "quad" cab with about 80k miles. had a backup cam and clean aftermarket navigation added.

Took a 2006 crew cab 3/4 ton duramax with leather, 60k

Dodge fetched $17k and the duramax fetched $26k

Call it what you like but we base these numbers on what we can buy one at auction, with similar options and miles.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
17k for an 07?!?!? I'll buy 10 at that price. I don't have the luxury of going to auctions. I've been looking at 06 dodge mega cabs and all are around 27-31K. with decent miles and well equipped. :noidea: Maybe prices are different up in the mountains.

In fact I just looked at your link in your sig and you have the aforementioned trucks for sale for much closer in price than you are stating on here......

Last edited:

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Well, we do have to make money. It is a business. Market sets the prices not us.

You typically get auction price for your trade, maybe a little better.

Also, auction vehicle is completely as is. Motor could be ready to grenade, who knows. The obvious is listed. Dealer vehicles have to go through a shop and are usually fixed properly. We have a state board to report to.

Premium Features