• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Opinions on Buying a 2008 Summit 800r 154"

H
Nov 11, 2010
Who out there is riding one and how do you like it? What have you done to it? What are some good ways to bump up the HP without extreme measures?

Thanks

S
Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
I have a 2008 154X. I have regeared the top gear, roosterbuilt clutch kit, metal secondary adjuster, 2009 intake (ices up less), frogskinz vent covers, XXX mod rods vents, and a straightline performance can. I also put nordlocks on the y pipe bolts so they don't come loose. Currently the suspension is out getting rebuilt and revalved and getting a longer rod in the front skid shock so I can move it back in the rail like the 2010 geometry.

I had a crank come out of spec and have too much run out at about 900 miles. It was replaced under warranty with the updated 2009 crankshaft after some debating with ski-doo. I would not buy a 2008 without having the crank checked or unless it has already been replaced or still has an extended warranty left. 2008's engines saw a lot of failures here.

As for motor mods, I was going to do a different head but don't want to void the rest of my engine warranty. From the ones I have ridden with a head they do rip good.

H
Nov 11, 2010
I just contacted the seller asking if he has replaced the crankshaft. I read all your performance mods but they all seem pretty extreme (maybe they aren't but I don't really know what they are either :p). Is there any simple bolt on power mods?

all4doo

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2010
NW Montana
I have a 2008 154X. I have regeared the top gear, roosterbuilt clutch kit, metal secondary adjuster, 2009 intake (ices up less), frogskinz vent covers, XXX mod rods vents, and a straightline performance can. I also put nordlocks on the y pipe bolts so they don't come loose. Currently the suspension is out getting rebuilt and revalved and getting a longer rod in the front skid shock so I can move it back in the rail like the 2010 geometry.

I had a crank come out of spec and have too much run out at about 900 miles. It was replaced under warranty with the updated 2009 crankshaft after some debating with ski-doo. I would not buy a 2008 without having the crank checked or unless it has already been replaced or still has an extended warranty left. 2008's engines saw a lot of failures here.

As for motor mods, I was going to do a different head but don't want to void the rest of my engine warranty. From the ones I have ridden with a head they do rip good.

I would also make sure the primary spring cup/bushing is update to the '09 specs, check the motor mounts, and the clutch tower....all things that seemed to iprove from '08 to '09...also read the common issues and maintenance thread.....lots of good info in there....good sled, just the first year of a new chassis, so a few minor updates were needed...

stephenr_65

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Henefer, Ut
I had an 08 146 and had alot of problems my buddy has 08 154 and has had alot of problems but not as many as my 146 my other buddy has a 163 and has had very few problem

S
Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
The first money I would spend would be for the clutching and gearing. Contact winter brew on here and he can set you up with a great clutch set up and give you some advice on what is a good set up for the kind of riding you will be doing.

If you are buying a non X model keep in mind the shocks are not serviceable and that they are probably shot if the sled has more than 1000 miles on it. The suspension sucks on these sleds for holding up and for fading. This is the one area ski doo was really lacking in 2008-2009. In my opinion their suspension still sucks even on the new sleds compared to the other manufacturers.

If you are just going to ride flatlands or trails it probably does not matter but if you plan on riding mountains or doing any jumping you will probably notice it being pretty sacked out unless the previous owner has had it replaced or rebuilt if it is the X model.

2Thetopp

Lifetime Membership
Opinions on Buying a 2008 Summit 800r 154" Reply to Thread

First, Roosterbuilt Clutching, 2.5" Camo Extreme, remove swaybar, rear shock relocate brackets, and venting. You should be able to get it for a good price, then add the center shock relocate brackets, longer center shock that will make it ride a little closer to 2010's. :face-icon-small-con Next, Quickclickers, towerbrace, ice scratchers, WRP runningboards, SLP air intake, WRP Mountain Assault seat. :face-icon-small-ton Then go ride! Next go big bore, then turbo :face-icon-small-sho seems too be the trend.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Unless your getting a smoking deal on the sled I would look into a 2010 left over summit 800 everest 154 many dealers have new ones for 8500 and then you wont have to update so much stuff and you get a warranty.

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
There are dealers selling 2010s for $8300. To get full warranty and all the little improvements, myself, I would go that route before spending $7000 on an '08. Unless you are in Canada, then $7000 might be a good price.....I have no idea.

S
Dec 2, 2007
Cottonwood
just picked up an 08', $5200, x-model, 800 miles

Has had all the updates by a local dealer. sled rips, no known issues (i rode with the previous owner all last winter) and it has 1/3 of the miles my 09' had.
Will be interesting to see if any issues show this year? Was thinking BB kit, just got the running boards in last night, cpi pipe/can combo, considering various intake kits, has aftermarket track.
Did notice a very small bow in the lower left a-arm though.
I will need one (hit me up if anyone out there has a grey left lower a-arm).

I just picked up a MINT 08x 154 502 miles dj clutch kit, wrp boards, BRP full side panels, re-valved shocks for $6500 going to ride it like I stole it!

D
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Have an 08 154 Everest from new. Had an issue with defective carbs that warranty covered, some casting problem. XXX vent kit, 19 top gear, quick clickers, riser, scratchers, disconnected sway bar, vortec rack. No major issues to date. Overall I'd do it again, price was right as it was a previous year left over. If I was paying full rate I'd get the 163.

R
Jan 14, 2009
Chelan
Thanks for the heads up Joey! I may be talking to ya soon, just picked up a bikeman y pipe. They say I need to add some pin weight, I was going to put some miles on before I added the y pipe.

Premium Features