• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2004 Wiring Issues

lords88

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
I have a 2004 800 RMK with some wiring issues. My Temp sensor is not wired in the same on my sled as the wiring diagrams states it is suppose to be. My black temp sensor wire is spliced in the harness to the black wire off of the TPS and then it goes into the TPS pin for the CDI. The brown wire off of the temp sensor is in the correct location(pin 7). Pin 21 which is suppose to be the black temp wire is empty on the harness. If I wire the temp sensor in the way it states on the diagram the CDI goes into full out lim mode. Can anyone explain why my sled is wired this way and what is correct?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Not having a wiring diagram I can only guess but I would suspect both pin 21 and the pin where the TPS black go are common ground points so it doesn't really matter. I suspect pin 21 has a problem within the CDI unit so someone moved the wire to where it is now. I wouldn't worry about it. Are you having problems or just checking things over?

lords88

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
Tps black is common ground but pin 21 is 5v this was verified on 2 cdis. I am having running issues. My timing is retarted 5 degrees @ 8000 rpm. I have tried multiple temp sensors. Verified I have an 18 deg flywheel and verified timing at 3250rpm. I have no det light flashing or temp light fault. Tps was disconnected to check timing.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Do you have the wiring diagram for either an 02 or an 03 non-Escape you can compare to? I'm wondering if someone tried to use the pre-DET wiring harness on a DET setup.

sled_guy

lords88

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
Yeah, I have an 02 sitting in the shop right now. It definitely is the 04 wiring harness.

lords88

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
Assuming my wiring is correct. Any ideas why my timing is retarted 5 deg at 8,000 rpm without setting off the temp or DET light?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Can you swap the CDI with a known good one? It still wouldn't explain why pin 21 is vacant though in your harness.

Premium Features