• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

OHV use in NM

C
Mar 13, 2008
Los Alamos, NM
I didn't know this until yesterday when I heard an ad on the radio. NM has rules regarding OHV use, and I was b*tchin about the rules for CO that don't take affect until 2010.
They can be found at http://www.newmexico.org/ohv/, follow the link under OHV final rule.
To summarize, if you are a resident, your snowmobile must be titled and registered and you have to pay for some sort of permit talked about here http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/publications/documents/OHV_Brochure_2007.pdf. They tell you where to get the nonresident permits at the Game and Fish Offices, but not the resident ones. I just bought a new to me used snowmobile from CO and titled and registered it in NM and they said nothing of these permits and I don't think I paid for them. The rules are common sense, helmet, goggles, slow down around people etc. The one that p*sses me off is this noise limit of 96 dB at 1/2 the redline rpm. This is SAE test j1287 http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1140/files/j1287_199807.pdf. They measure the noise 20 inches from the exhaust. There are tons of holes in the test and if you wanted to fight it I don't think it would be too hard to get it thrown out but come on! (One of the holes in the test is the ground must be free of loose or powdered snow!) 1/2 the redline rpm would mean the sled would be moving and the test states you must be on the vehicle, so figure that one out.
I've been breaking the law for 2 years on my atv and snowmobile and din't even know it. Supposedly this permit fee is for enforcement and trails and I've never seen a marked snowmoblie trail, at least where we ride or been questioned by anyone and I've seen several FS people. I will buy my permits and registration but as far as taking my pipe and can off, oh well, I guess I'll worry about it after the first ticket. Did you guys know about this???

C
Mar 13, 2008
Los Alamos, NM
I went to the Game and Fish office in Santa Fe and they said if you are a resident and registered your sled you don't have to get permits but out of state riders can get them from the game and fish offices or Nm Tourism Dept. She said that they have been pretty relaxed on enforcing the laws for the last 2 years but will start enforcing them more heavily this year. I would venture NM is not a real snowmobile destination and that this was more or less intended for the atv and dirtbike crowd but if you are coming from CO you might want to look into the permits. We ride a couple of places close to home in the Jemez Mountains and for some reason they have 3-4 full time Forest Service Law Enforcement Officers here. They write a ton of speeding tickets so I figure they will be adding this to their list of stuff to look for.

Come on snow!!!

T
Jan 11, 2008
TX
I wonder if they will be open Friday I will be in Raton and would like to buy one. I am ususally always up after hours or on a weekend. And I couldnt find a way to buy online!

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
What does the registration cost ? This is part of the reason I dont ride in NM it only costs 30.25 the get your CO non res. permit .

Premium Features