• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

High Speed Trailer Tires ?

S
Dec 7, 2007
I recently had a conversation with the DOT Motor Carrier Safety Officer. He pointed out that many of the trailer tires are only rated for use up to 65 or 68 mph. This is the reason we see so many pieces of blown tires on the road. I hate to have tire trouble especially if it can be avoided.
Granted there is less chance of failure when the temperature is cold but it is still a hassle. :light:Check the sidewall for a code or check the manufacturers website for the rating.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
When I replaced my full size camper tires a few years ago, the st rated trailer tires only went up to 65 and I was not aware of any other option but going to a regular light truck tire which had a higher speed rating.

I just checked carlisles web site and they now have an hd rated tire which goes to 81 mph.

On my Triton xt101 open, it has the small 8” tires and the only rating on these that I know of is that they say “high speed”. I called Carlisle a year or two back and asked them what is high speed. They said normal highway speeds. They wouldnt go so far as including interstate highway speeds of 75. I have been pulling this trailer at 75 since I bought it 20 years ago and only had one blowout and that was a spring trip, temps in the 60 ish range and a tire which was more than 5 years old, maybe 7 or so.

Last edited:
J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I have never understood why trailer tires need to be so junky. Just build them like LT tires and be done with it....nearly all speed worries, blowouts, and flats instantly solved. But it seems the draw to build something slightly cheaper and a whole lot crappier is just unavoidable.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
There is a country of manufacture code on the tire sidewall. When I was looking for full size trailer tires, Most of them, inc the marathons iirc, were made in one or another asian countries. I just googled marathon and it appears goodyear may have moved production to usa.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
The biggest thing with trailer tires (and any tire for that matter) is proper inflation. I check the pressure occasionally during the season. Sled trailer in the winter camper in the summer. I think most important is to check them every time you stop. If I stop for fuel, snacks or anything I always walk the long way around the trailer and kick all the tires.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Newer ST tires, those manufactured in 2015 and later, should have one of the following codes on the sidewall to show their rating:

M - 81 mph
L - 75 mph
J - 62 mph

If a trailer tire has any other marking to designate maximum speed rating, follow it.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I had always heard that tire life can be altered on how they are stored. If stored on bare ground for instance they can absorb water and corrode the steel belting which will accelerate delaminating. Keep them out of direct sun of course and keep them inflated. I had also heard that 7 years was a magic expiration date. True or not, I thought I had heard that if your tires exceeded that age you could be liable for damages if they blow out causing an issue for someone else. These assumptions could either be just theory or a way to sell tires.

B
Nov 26, 2007
After five years or more in use, your tires should be thoroughly inspected at least once per year.

Ten years is a maximum, if the tires haven't been replaced 10 years after their date of manufacture, as a precaution, Michelin recommends replacing them with new tires. Even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wear indicator.
This applies to spare tires as well.

After the DOT insignia is your tire’s identification number, which begins with the tire’s manufacturer and plant code where the tire was manufactured (two numbers or letters). The ninth and tenth characters tell the week the tire was manufactured. The final number(s) signifies the year the tire was manufactured.

Shwinecat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Milbank, SD
The Main difference between ST and LT tire is the ST can not be put on torsional axle. Just about every manufacture has some slight variations. Just about every trailer manufacture out there puts a tire on that barely covers the trailer load requirements. 14" tires and under your stuck. Replace often and as stated make sure you are checking air pressures. Finally in 15" and up they make tires that are steel banded sidewall. Air is what holds weight and you can run much higher air pressures. They do not squat like the nylon sidewall which reduces the heat build up in the sidewall. Most blow outs are from sidewall failure or heat going into the face and the tread separating from belts. If you have 15 or 16" tires they have tires out that will more than take care of what you need. They are great tires that will make your trailer pull a lot easier and handle way better than stock tires. It eliminates a lot of the sway. If you have questions PM me.

Premium Features