• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 tundra or 09 f150?

C
Dec 8, 2008
I own a tundra so take my comments accordingly.....

I would never buy a first year model of anything even toyota. the ford is brand new, do you really want to take that gamble?

The tundra is not perfect but they have resolved many issues that have arisen. The ride is excellent and the power is spectacular. I am having issues with my tailgate but a manufacturing change has solved that problem....

It boils down to who do you trust more, Toyota or Ford quality? pretty easy answer in my opinion.....

For the brand haters, I hope you are not driving yammie or skidoo because they are not made in the usa...unlike the Tundra which is made in Texas.....

L
Dec 2, 2007
Elizabeth, CO
The Tundra is light years better in quality. You can buy a Mexican made Ford or Dodge, or a Canadian made Chevy, or an American made Tundra. In the Double cab 5.7 4Wd, I get 14 mpg city, 17 to 19 highway, or 13 towing a 2 place open trailer at 75. For the amazing power that the Tundra has, I'll take that.
Drive one with an open mind, and it will scare you to death that you were actually considering one of the other brands.

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
I wouldn't really call the 09 a new pickup. Aside from the transmission and some of the body work the rest is the same. The engine is just re tuned with a new exhaust. As far as the F150s not being made in the USA I have or had 4 that came out of the Dearborn MI plant.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Drive em both and tell us what you think. I'll bet most of the guys talking smack on the Tundra haven't even seen the inside of one, let alone driven it.

Better yet, go drive a miled out old Tundy and a miled out F150 and get back to me on which drives better.

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
I own a Tundra 5.7 wouldn't buy another one although in many ways they are a nice truck. They are over rated in many ways. Lots of go but more car like than a truck. Quality isn't as good as Chev, Ford isn't rated yet per consumer reports and my experience. I went into more detail on a previous thread but It would be Chev or Ford for me.

Z
Sep 18, 2008
NW IA
I wouldn't really call the 09 a new pickup. Aside from the transmission and some of the body work the rest is the same. The engine is just re tuned with a new exhaust. As far as the F150s not being made in the USA I have or had 4 that came out of the Dearborn MI plant.

Your right about that, bodywork, and transmission, rest is basically the same. Ive had 2 f150s both out of kansas city

H
Dec 4, 2008
MN
Bought a 09 F-150 crew in Dec. Like the truck alot. The interior is huge comparied to my last truck. The selling point with me is the 6.5' bed.
The Toyota with a 5' box? no way. Pulles a 2 place enclosed like the wind.
Have not pulled the 20' Ranger boat yet. Its been real cold in MN so have not checked the milage but, It has a 36 Gal. tank the range between fill ups is over 600 miles. My 2cents.

K

ktm rmk

Jan 22, 2008
castle rock co.
Had Dodges 05,1500 and 06, 2500 Hemi's, went with 07 Tundra 5.7 CrewMax
Driving from Atlanta back to CO. manually got 17+mpg. driving just over 75 mph
Tundras performance, comfort, fit and finish way ahead of the rest, with 6 speed triptronic tranny very nice, 381 HP, 400 lbs. of torque. Pull my 2 place enclosed over 9000ft. passes all day. Oh yea we all know Toyota will have much better resale over Ford anytime.

H

Highmarker

Nov 20, 2004
In the west!
Don't own a tundra but i do have a Tacoma and a Chevy 2500HD. I can tell you the quality of the toyota is WAY better. of course the little tacoma wont pull like like my chevy.....thats about all i use it for. would bet money it will far outlast any other vehicle i have had. resale is way better! wonder why the big three are asking for a bailout and toyota isn't? I will always need a heavy truck so I will always have one of the big three...unless toyota comes out with a 3/4 ton diesel.....that i will have!!

C

clay hale

Dec 6, 2007
pu

have owned both am driving 07 tundra right now had 05 f150 was great truck but motor went down twice in 2 years .that said just got tundra back from toyo shop tranny went out .has 84000 miles no warranty $ 4500 was the repair bill toyota does not fix tranys they would only replace with new .so any way after my boss did some serious *** chewing toyota paid 75% of bill which never happened on any ford motor fixes .toyota when selling this pickup to me claimed this was going to hd all the way .but it cant hold a candle to the f150 for that but f150 has no power to speak of .i do like all the gadgets on the tundru like back up camera sonar front and back .but i run into trouble with the stabilty control in deep snow it is searching for which tire to spin all the time. then ice chunks hit wheel sensors and the abs warning lights come . have had both sensors replaced but anytime any ice hits them there out .which most of the time means you cant get 4wheel drive to work until sensor is replaced. good luck.oh ya power was great until a buddy got a denali pickup it makes the tundra seem like a small block

B
Jan 29, 2009
Wyoming
FORD hands down.. Its been the #1 truck for how many years now..:eek:

Its been #1 for a reason.. Toyota and the jap crap parts can't hold a candle to a F-150.. or even a Chevy/Dodge..

Premium Features