• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

EPA crackdown on sleds?!! Must See

U
Jan 17, 2008
Hinton Alberta
Was working at the local coal mine today and thought "Good thing the EPA is cracking down polluting sleds". Check out this picture, what you see is not steam from a cold morning; it's blue raw unburned diesel smoke! To top it all off that truck sat and idled all day, over 13 hours! Good thing the EPA is cracking down on sleds and all types of recreational toys. After all, they are what's killing the environment.

haultruck.jpg

W

Wyoming T/A

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Sep 26, 2006
Powell,Wyoming
great post..watched the tour busses in yellowstone park and you couldnt see the back of the bus from all the smoke but they dont want snowmobiles in there.poluting the clean air..:confused::confused::confused:

U
Jan 17, 2008
Hinton Alberta
Where did your posts go Mclovin? I didn't start this thread to start a battle, I'm just saying is how can these huge companies be allowed to pollute like they do and people like us are are paying the price with what they love.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Meeker, Colorado
I removed them and agree, no sense in childish arguments/comments.....not what this sites about:cool: You are right there are many other things that should be governed/limited than a minute community such as snowmobilers.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Was working at the local coal mine today and thought "Good thing the EPA is cracking down polluting sleds". Check out this picture, what you see is not steam from a cold morning; it's blue raw unburned diesel smoke! To top it all off that truck sat and idled all day, over 13 hours! Good thing the EPA is cracking down on sleds and all types of recreational toys. After all, they are what's killing the environment.

haultruck.jpg

Of course they're cracking down on sleds. Sled manufacturers don't have the millions of dollars eastern coal companies do to buy off Democrats :D

U
Jan 17, 2008
Hinton Alberta
Yea, and that truck was sitting there idiling all day. Probably burnt more fuel just sitting there than every sled in west does in a month!!!!????? Why are these huge off highway equipment exempt from all the emissions laws? They burn the most fuel.

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
I don't get it. I see that going on all the time if it's real cold ok I see it. But what I don't get is these guys just letting them run all day just because it's a diesel does not mean you have to keep it running they have a key switch for a reason.

Does anyone know the average fuel-per hour rate on a large 6cly inline motor???

U
Jan 17, 2008
Hinton Alberta
I dont know what they get at idle. I was told yesterday that on a trip from the pit to the plant the most efficient truck they have is a Kress. That trip burns a barrell of diesel. Now Im not saying shut down these mines and heavy industry, but why target small groups like us?

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
They are not exempt from pollution laws. The laws are not retro-active and some of this equipment is 30 and 40 years old! Too many of the large companys work with or like the gov't and will pinch a penny till it screams with one hand and then throw dollars away with the other. There is much more fuel wasted each year than is used for bare neccessities. You waste it, I waste it and biggest polluter and waster of all is out gov't. and military.
Two more years and we will have to start injecting urea into the diesels to help burn up pollutants! Urea a some pretty toxic stuff but I guess that is better for us than carbon.
On a side note, our 14 liter truck engines burn 1.2 gpm at an idle.

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
Where did your posts go Mclovin? I didn't start this thread to start a battle, I'm just saying is how can these huge companies be allowed to pollute like they do and people like us are are paying the price with what they love.

You said it right above. Huge company and it wouldn't get the publicity that recreational vehicles will get. People simply overlook the big problem and prey on the small stuff. Kind of like government, human nature, and even with animals.

Chances are better for victory if you prey on the weaker form. Sad but true, the mining industry is much bigger then the recreational industry, or should I say one has lobbyists and the other, well you get the picture.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I don't get it. I see that going on all the time if it's real cold ok I see it. But what I don't get is these guys just letting them run all day just because it's a diesel does not mean you have to keep it running they have a key switch for a reason.

Does anyone know the average fuel-per hour rate on a large 6cly inline motor???

While I don't agree with it idling all day, you can't just turn off diesels in the cold! Have you ever tried to start a diesel at -40? Good luck! Up north, every single diesel in the oilfield etc run all day and all night, but then again during the day they are working, not just sitting.

U
Jan 17, 2008
Hinton Alberta
While I don't agree with it idling all day, you can't just turn off diesels in the cold! Have you ever tried to start a diesel at -40? Good luck! Up north, every single diesel in the oilfield etc run all day and all night, but then again during the day they are working, not just sitting.

It wasn't that cold out and there were two trucks parked beside it that were shut off. As far as the trucks being old, they were assembling a new Komastu haul truck in the shop. I wished I would have asked if there were any new emission controls on this truck. Why if I go buy a new diesel pick up, it has a diesel particulate filter. I don't think this new haul truck has one!

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
They have in incentive to pollute, they can convert their average current pollution into carbon credit, then clean up the trucks, and sell the carbon credits. Just kidding, but it might not be that far off from the truth, at least in the US.

You should look at the pollutants output of a cargo ship. They burn bunker oil. That's the crud left over after you make diesel, I guess. It's supposable is full of toxins. Port Angeles has been struggling with what to do about the problem. Kids dieing all over the bay area due to all the Wal-Mart ships.

Premium Features