• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Safety Recall 2013 Etec Fuel pump inlet breaking

Skidoox

Lifetime Membership
Sep 4, 2001
Provo, UT
January 21, 2013
Re: Ski-Doo® – E-TEC Fuel Pump Inlet Fitting Breaking

What is the potential problem?
Under certain condition, fuel pump inlet fitting may become in contact with the oil tank and can break
which could permit fuel to leak.
If such leakage occurs, fuel vapor in the presence of an ignition source could result in a fire and can
potentially cause serious injuries.

Which models are involved?
Certain 2013 Ski-Doo snowmobiles equipped with a 600 HO E-TEC engine or an 800R E-TEC. Refer to
attached Safety Campaign Bulletin for the list of involved models.

For customers: BRP is sending a Safety Recall letter to all known registered owners of the involved Ski-
Doo snowmobiles. This letter urges that the owners immediately contact their authorized BRP Ski-Doo
dealer in order to have its snowmobile repaired.

This Information for customers is posted on BRP's public website
(www.ski-doo.com).

M

McTwist700

Dec 2, 2010
Whitehorse Yukon
Spoke with my dealer this afternoon. He said that all XM's will get the fix and that it is a 1/2 hour job. Nice to hear it is simple and easy.

revone

Premium Member
Dec 16, 2007
I just fixed my fuel line tolerance problem. I pulled the recoil handle assembly out and checked clearance, about 7mm. I then loosened the gas fill washer, and the two forward screws, and two rear bolts on the gas tank, and slid the tank back, then took the aluminum grommets that fit into the frame and cut one third of the bottom out of them, reinstalled everything, and now have almost one inch clearance. Took about 15 minutes.

yammyman_1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 10, 2010
Sturgeon County, Alberta
I just fixed my fuel line tolerance problem. I pulled the recoil handle assembly out and checked clearance, about 7mm. I then loosened the gas fill washer, and the two forward screws, and two rear bolts on the gas tank, and slid the tank back, then took the aluminum grommets that fit into the frame and cut one third of the bottom out of them, reinstalled everything, and now have almost one inch clearance. Took about 15 minutes.

Any pics? Can the tank still potential move forward? Sounds like my kind of fix!

ROKRIG

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2012
So, is this problem not exclusively linked to the sleds with 'E-start'?

revone

Premium Member
Dec 16, 2007
Mine does not have electric start. Once you have the seat off it is quite evident what there is to do. the big thing is to cut the aluminum inserts by the back bolts to fit in the rear tank indent.

O
Nov 15, 2012

Thanks for the writeup!

How did you remove the recoil handle assembly? Only the two bolts against the oil tank, or are there more to it?

yammyman_1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 10, 2010
Sturgeon County, Alberta
2 bolts on the right side of oil tank and the deepest part of the cup has a lip tgat snaps into the left side of the hole through the oil tank. When I installed my recoil cup it took at bit of pressure to get it took snap in. Coming out might be a bit difficult too. I'm not sure.

sanity

Premium Member
Oct 26, 2010
Snoqualmie, WA
Went out and checked mine since I'm about to head out on two day ride this weekend. I think I have decent clearance w/o doing any of my own mods. I was able to snap a good pic of mine to show. Front to back I have about 4mm (can slide two US quarters width of cardboard in there). Side to side I have about 2 mm (can slide one US quarter width cardboard along the side in there). No evidence of rubbing or other damage.

What are others seeing as far as clearance before the official fix? One buddy with a 2013 Renegade said he found he had zero clearance front to back. The clamp was rubbing the oil tank, so he did the quick fix revone laid out, which got him to about the point where mine is now.
20130124_203832-XL.jpg

R

Ramjet15x

Nov 27, 2007
Leduc, AB
Recall Completed

My recall is done already, dealer got parts yesterday afternoon and Voila
Wetaskiwin Motorpsorts

:)

ski-doo-it

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2009
woodinville
Pull start XM SP 800 and this is what i found...

The fuel line fitting is rubbing a hole in my oil tank and i dont have enough room around the Otiker clamp for a zip tie to go around it(used for clearence example)

Stressing the CRAP out of the fuel fitting :face-icon-small-sho

You can see the plastic shavings from the oil tank.

Back to the shop for warranty and im missing fresh snowfall :face-icon-small-sad

IMG_0270.jpg IMG_0272.jpg

S

shanefarms

Mar 8, 2009
Atkinson Ne
this just broke this weekend on my sled I was happy this okered on the trail and not half hour earlyer when we were deep in boondocking there would have been a nice summit x down in rabbit ears for someone this spring. by the way it was a minor jump i did that jared it enough to break it, was not happy

Last edited:

ROKRIG

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2012

revone, can you please take some pictures that clearly explain the process? I don't have time to get my sled to the dealership as I'm heading up to Canada in a few days. I'm mechanically inclined and really would like to get this done.

If anyone else can more specifically explain this fix that would be great! I got to the tank filler collar removal and removed the 2 forward screws for the center panel but not sure what to do next. Pictures w/ detailed insrtuctions would be very helpful.

ROKRIG

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2012
once the 2 screws are removed from the recoil handle surround, where exactly is the clip that needs to be released to remove the surround from the center console? I didn't want to break anything just by pulling hard on the thing.

Nov 28, 2007
revone, can you please take some pictures that clearly explain the process? I don't have time to get my sled to the dealership as I'm heading up to Canada in a few days. I'm mechanically inclined and really would like to get this done.

If anyone else can more specifically explain this fix that would be great! I got to the tank filler collar removal and removed the 2 forward screws for the center panel but not sure what to do next. Pictures w/ detailed insrtuctions would be very helpful.

I'll try to help.
I'm assuming you have the seat off. Remove the two plastic panels that are clipped to the two bolts near the rear of the tank on each side of the tunnel. Take the nuts off the studs, remove the aluminum collars, and pull the tank to the rear. The studs will now be all the way to the front of the holes that are in the mounting bar that is mounted to the tank. The aluminum collars then need to be cut enough to allow them to fit properly back on the studs. You will be cutting part of the shoulder off of each one.

once the 2 screws are removed from the recoil handle surround, where exactly is the clip that needs to be released to remove the surround from the center console? I didn't want to break anything just by pulling hard on the thing.

The surround just pulls out in the same direction you would pull the rope. It's just clipped into the opening in the oil tank with tabs that are part of the surround. It helps if the sled is at room temperature to do this so the tank and the surround are somewhat flexible. Pull hard.

S
Nov 13, 2009
Alberta
Went out and checked mine since I'm about to head out on two day ride this weekend. I think I have decent clearance w/o doing any of my own mods. I was able to snap a good pic of mine to show. Front to back I have about 4mm (can slide two US quarters width of cardboard in there). Side to side I have about 2 mm (can slide one US quarter width cardboard along the side in there). No evidence of rubbing or other damage.

What are others seeing as far as clearance before the official fix? One buddy with a 2013 Renegade said he found he had zero clearance front to back. The clamp was rubbing the oil tank, so he did the quick fix revone laid out, which got him to about the point where mine is now.
20130124_203832-XL.jpg

I am seeing same as yours. Seems like decent of clearance. The tanks seem tight too, not sure how they are moving enough to hit. Will still proceed with update but I wont be parking my sled until parts come in.

ROKRIG

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2012
Thanks everyone for the guidance provided. I took a look at my inlet and the smallest clearance amount was about 4.5mm between the clamp and the oil reservoir. I'm not sure how either tank would move enough to cause interference but I snugged up the bolts and screws regardless. For the time-being, I did not change the positioning of the tank. I did not see any marks or plastic dust suggesting there had been any contact. Regardless, I'll keep an eye on it.

The recoil handle surround definitely takes some pressure to get back into place.

Clearance picture:

IMG_0529.jpg

ROKRIG

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2012
you have any idea how much space is there now after the official fix?

This would be interesting to know. I got the recall notice in the mail this evening and it said spacers would be installed if one were to bring their sled to the dealership.

If anyone who has had the 'official' fix done or is about to have it done, can you post up pics of the spacers or whatever was used to solve the problem?

revone

Premium Member
Dec 16, 2007
If anyone wants to know exactly how this is done they can call on my cell 701-220-6508, ask for Kurt. 2datop explains it real well also. Thanks

Premium Features