• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XF highcountry gearing

N

no fear

Dec 25, 2011
Soldotna, AK
I was wondering if anyone has changed there gearing on there highcountry to match the M8's?

Highcountry- 22t x 48t
M8- 21t x 49t

Last edited:

Lifetime Membership
Apr 27, 2002
Spooner, WI 54801
www.4seasons.com
So I have a HC and I have a 153 under it. My sled is super fast out of the hole, but at after a couple hundred feet I watch other sleds pass me. My r's are staying right about 8200, but no more speed?

If I gear down that will make the problem worse right? Or should I just run a 21 top and that would put me almost the same ratio as a M8?

KJP

N

no fear

Dec 25, 2011
Soldotna, AK
I've got both the M8 gears ordered to play around with. According to a gear ratio spreadsheet I was using installing the M8 gears will only slow my track speed down by about 4.5mph. I'm only messing around with the gearing for better belt life since I'm on my 5th belt so far with 340 miles on the sled. This belt issue on the new sleds is pretty aggravating. At least having both M8 gears if they are too much I can alway just swap one out and go down just 1 tooth instead of 2.

D
HC gearing

I put a 153 skid and a challenger 2 1/4 as a track, riding at a 2000/3000 ft elivation I noticed that the bottom end of the sled was lacking when cruising under 40 mph where as it wasn't with the 141. When I got in it from 40mph, and the revs were high it would pull like it had the 141 on it, I think it was due to the fact that the 800ho seems to like revs. If I stopped and pinned it, with the rpm's hitting 8150 it would leave pretty hard, my clutches are the factory setting and I have not braced or changed anything with torque arm or engine mounts. Made 300 miles on the original belt with minimal cord pulling however did have chatter every now and again, now it is my spare. When I went to the dealer for chain case updates I had them put a 21 tooth gear in it and the dealer put a new 083 belt on, I lost about 3 to 5 miles hour top speed but the motor is right back in the power range on the bottom end and will pull the skiies up off the line with ease. At around 50/55 mph it will snap the skiies up for a 50 ft if a person leaned back prob more. The 21 tooth didn't change peak rpm's much still peaking at round 8200 rpm's, still have belt chatter after update but have 50 miles on 083, the chatter is better but its still there, belt breakin wasn't ideal either was chasing my buddy with a 600 etech. Clutches seem cooler I can at least touch them now before I couldn't Have to put the gearing to the final test in the mountains, might not make it there again this year due to work schedule, hoping to get a spring ride in....:rockon:

Premium Features