• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Inspect your rollers or this could be you.

B

b1dodge

Nov 26, 2007
utah
www.youtube.com
Holy chit. Check out the crack I just noticed in the pic I posted. Left side of the weight. I better start taking more pics for analyzing problems. Never would have noticed that.:face-icon-small-sho

Weightshave.jpg

Ron that looks like casting marks to me. It certainly could be a crack but compare it to the marks on the cover. They all look like cracks but are from the casting process.

W
Dec 1, 2007
Cañon City, CO
2010 HCR...Mine toasted at about 650 miles. I'm thinking it has to do with the outer sheave bushings wearing out too fast and causing a misalignment. You're lucky if all it does is take out the weight/ roller. Mine got replaced under warranty but when the warranty runs out you're left holding the bag on a the whole new clutch ($500) since you can't buy and replace just the spider any more.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
weights ground out like this are almost always the result of harmonic vibrations from............? who knows, changing a clutch with no others changes to engine or chassis usually will result in another clutch weight ground out. I have seen this cured at times with better jetting, new engine mounts, replaced cranks, different spring and weight combinations in the clutch. Gota bad weight, always a good idea to put a dial indicator on the end of the crank and see how straight it is. A crank still within cat spec's wil do this to clutch's.

Cat doesn't make their clutch's. No excuse though,they come out of the same plant as several other clutch brands. Always the potential for something defective and I'm sure some sour clutch's have left the plant. But clutch's going to pot problems are almost always the result of other bigger issues. Not the news anyone wants to believe.

SledheadPaul

Premium Member
2010 HCR...Mine toasted at about 650 miles. I'm thinking it has to do with the outer sheave bushings wearing out too fast and causing a misalignment. You're lucky if all it does is take out the weight/ roller. Mine got replaced under warranty but when the warranty runs out you're left holding the bag on a the whole new clutch ($500) since you can't buy and replace just the spider any more.

Spiders are stiil available. My new one is sitting on my bench.

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
Seems the roller washer on one side is gone. Common for these parts to wear on one side only since clutch spins the same direction all the time. I know on all my Polaris sleds washers and weight inserts were a seasonal repacement part. Only a matter of time before they go.

T

TheHoneyBadger

Nov 30, 2007
Cashmere, Wa
was your primary getting stuck engaged? I am having the same issue, my primary wont disengage because the weight is getting caught up on the roller.

azzkicker

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
clutch

was your primary getting stuck engaged? I am having the same issue, my primary wont disengage because the weight is getting caught up on the roller.

thats what happened to mine 2010 m8 sp 1000mi cat stuck it up my azz

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership

You're doomed (sorry). That is exactly what happened to me on the hill. Had to pry on the Spider to get the weight to drop so I could start it. Then it was throttle on all the way to my cabin cuz if the R's dropped below 5K it would stall. It's pretty easy to look on the right side of the roller (if facing the Primary) and see if the washer is worn or gone. Another sign is that the roller is rough and ground down looking.

You can buy a replacement roller kit, which I would recommend doing once a season.

In reality these parts should last 3-4k miles. Pretty sure Cat knows this since most are getting repaired/replaced under warranty.

M

M6johnny

Dec 4, 2007
Brookings SD
Where can you buy just the rollers or spider, looked at many different A/C sites and none show theses parts seperately.

^^^^^^^ I would like to know the same ^^^^^^^^

I called 2 different cat parts places and they don't offer a spider replacement for a 2010 m8. Options are definately limited on this problem. I think Im gonna buy the Fett bros billet spider and button kit and replace mine before it cracks on me. Fricken cat clutching is junk!!!!!!!!!!

M
Dec 24, 2008
midwest
I have the same problem 1 weight ground down and primary stays engaged. two seperate problems.
My clutch was staying engaged due to the set screws slipping or coming loose. The weight would then shift over and hang up on the roller washer.

I was told a M7 clutch spider will fit. I have one ready to go but it is at the shop and have not been down there to start assembly.

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
Where can you buy just the rollers or spider, looked at many different A/C sites and none show theses parts seperately.

My bad. A friend told me hi-Perf was selling rebuild kits but just found out they only go up to 2004. Since Cat has to supply so many Primary's under warranty I'm suprised they're not making replacement parts. $450 toasted Primary due to a $.10 part.:face-icon-small-sad

So the best route is to buy a spider ($150) and have it ready on the shelf. That is what I'm doing.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
my nephews 2010 m8 weight got gouged the same way, and engine would stall, cat replaced the clutch, but now hes got crank issues due to ridding out of the mountains with a frigged up clutch, hes been down a month... these issues go back to the late 80s for me, ive got more clutch parts in my crate than anything else, ive always said its. vibrations, thats also why the cats were bad with stators .. i would ride and come home with black hands from tearing apart clutches all day on the trails...ive also had clutches explode on me, and cause thousands in damage and no warranty, i just sold a 06 m7 with very low miles, had a clutch grenade, i done all the repairs including, hood, secondary, guard ,bellypan and than sold for cheap cause i was afraid the crank might have taken a shock and be out, so that fkuin clutch cost me thousands, cat has to get thier chit together, or im gonna ride the competition accross the street from cat... i had a 98 700 pol with over 5000 miles and never did a clutch,,,,,,

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Rollers for the clutch's can be bought from cat, you need to check posts or find a cat parts man with more experience.

blown clutchs are result of over reving !!! READ TOOOO MANY RPM at some point. The dirtly little secret no one wants to admit to. Some folks wouldn't realize they hit 12000 rpm when they had a clutch full of snow. Blow a belt on a hill, 14000 rpm for a moment not out of the question. At that point the clutch needs to go in the garbage can no matter what, its a grenade with the pin pulled.

J

JJC

Mar 9, 2009
rollers

Call Dale at Fett Brothers,he can get roller kits threw the Cat race program.(218)334-3388

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
2000 miles

Just rolled over 2000 miles on my '05 M7 and lost two rollers on Sunday and ruined one weight.

What is the best most cost effective route to get me back on the snow?

I blew a belt two rides before this, so I am assuming that is what took out the rollers. I will have to check the crank run-out tonight.

Premium Features