• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to drop weight on the ProClimb?

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
So just for intrest sake, the new RMK is 417 dry, with a little engine work it too should then be able to run with a pump gas turbo. I just dont see 120 lbs making up for the difference of a turbo.

Super cool that you guys have the weight down that much, must be a blast in the trees. But why stop there If you turbo that sucker youd be unstopable.

W

WKR

Nov 27, 2007
western canada
had turbo on it, was awesome. had some belt drive issues to resolve, resolved them. now waiting on cutler 950 kit. removing turbo dropped 40lbs of weight. your welcome to argue it shouldn't touch a pump gas turbo, but the so far the proof has been in the pudding. It will be in Revy yammy fest weekend, see for yourself as long as weather permits.

let me correct the statment before it gets out of hand as well, it will run with pump gas turbos, win some and lose some. A well set up pump gas turbo (6psi) will win in most cases all things equal.

quick math

395lb sled
180lb rider
20lbs of carried snow (carbon chassey sheds all snow, no sticking)

=595
hp at elevation= 130

595/130= 4.5lbs per hp

515 lb sled
180lb rider
60-80lbs of carried snow (proven through cat technologies) on stock chassey

=755lbs riding weight

755/190hp= 4lbs per hp

This is contingent on the turbo being setup perfect. This math should shed a bit of light on why a light sled will work very closely. Don't get me wrond i have run 2 stroke turbos for 6 years now and always have one kickin around the shop to ride. Just trying to shed some light on what weight savings makes a sled capable of.

Last edited:
G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
I guess I have never really ran pump gas so my basis may be off. Id love to see that thing run but wont be out to Revy till the start on next month.

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
There is no way in hell that the proclimb drops thirty pounds to get to the '13 pro weight. Maybe you're talking about cat's dry weight and poo's wet weight?

Also, my brother put on 40 hp in under $1500 on his 2012. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED AND COMPLETED.

Comparing 2012 PC with 2012 Pro with fluids and equal gas. Don't think that one can get a PC down to the 2013 Pro weight without doing something drastic and expensive.

40 hp more on a 2012 Pro? I'd be wondering about reliability.

Not sure about what challenge you're talking about. Hearing voices? Lol

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
This aint cheap, but holy crap is it fun.

C3 carbon tunnel -13.5lbs
single pass u cooler -7 lbs (material and coolant) still no cooling issues.
C3 carbon hood -24lbs
C3 carbon fuel tank -15lbs (38L)
ceramic coated pipe -3lbs (no heat shielding)
C3 belt drive -15lbs ( oil injection delete included)
Carbon fibre can -20 lbs

Total weight loss to date -95 lbs (give or take 5 lbs)

sled weighed 395lbs dry. lbs to lose yet

rear skid -15lbs
seat -6 lbs
fronts suspension -15 lbs

hopefully putiing this sled at 360lbs dry. I will say this, at the current wieght of 395 it will run with a pump gas turbos all day. cost is a bit more than a pump gas turbo, but your not fatigued at the end of a 3 days riding. a pump gas turbo sits at 515lbs dry.

OH and for the guys out there calculating these weights and saying it doesn't add up, your right cuz there is a bit more weight taken out other places that will remain between me and the sled.

WKR - how does that CF breath? I assume it doesn't get air from near the windshield anymore?

W

WKR

Nov 27, 2007
western canada
intake

WKR - how does that CF breath? I assume it doesn't get air from near the windshield anymore?

The intake is a pod filter on the dash right behind the windshield. 4' intake right down to the throttle bodies. look closely in the picture you can see the filter up top. breathes extremely well in all conditions.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
An other part of the equation that is hard to quantify is how deep does a 755 lb package chew compared to a 595 package on the way up. What is the drag co-efficient LOL.

I don't know if they are still doing their thing but there was a home based group in Sicamous or Salmon Arm (TSS I think) that built some amazingly light Doos without using CF. Focused alot on drive train lightening. Stock motors (back when Doo 800 was about as reliable as the Poo is today)and very very impressive hill climb results against some very powerful engines.
I always thought it was the higher-in-the-snow ride hieght cause they lost the lbs per HP battle.

W

WKR

Nov 27, 2007
western canada
An other part of the equation that is hard to quantify is how deep does a 755 lb package chew compared to a 595 package on the way up. What is the drag co-efficient LOL.

I don't know if they are still doing their thing but there was a home based group in Sicamous or Salmon Arm (TSS I think) that built some amazingly light Doos without using CF. Focused alot on drive train lightening. Stock motors (back when Doo 800 was about as reliable as the Poo is today)and very very impressive hill climb results against some very powerful engines.
I always thought it was the higher-in-the-snow ride hieght cause they lost the lbs per HP battle.

The company out of sicamous is C3 powersports, full scale production on carbon fiber parts for cat, doo and soon poo.

Premium Features