• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Evolution of Roxy - 2009 Nytro MTX Build

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Got the rear suspension all the way back together. Going to run the stock rear suspension until I can save enough money for a 2012 model Timbersled with exit shocks. Hoping to have enough by Thanksgiving.

Trimmed my Simmons Gen 2 skis down 2" so they are now 8" wide and the way I trimmed them should be great for sidehilling and boondocking.

Modified and painted the exhaust housing that the header/muffler attach to, this is also where the seat attaches. I trimmed it down because I'm not running the rear plastics anymore and I don't need the extra length. It looks a lot like the skinz seat design.

Rear suspension mounted with fresh graphite hifax and new bolts for the rail extension.

attachment.php

Close up of the OFT 2 wheel kit ($80). MUCH better design than the BDX kit ($25) I used before. I feel it is over priced but I'm confident that this one will actually work...unlike the BDX kit.

attachment.php

Simmons Gen 2.5 skis hahaha

attachment.php

Modified exhaust housing

attachment.php

Everything I can put together so far

attachment.php

IMAG0215.jpg IMAG0216.jpg IMAG0217.jpg IMAG0220.jpg IMAG0223.jpg

Last edited:

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Things are going REALLY slow in this particular forum so I figured I would update.

Skinz Airframe Boards will be here Wednesday. I'll post pictures once this is done.

I'm going to modify my stock drop brackets because they are overkill and I think I can take some weight off them without sacrificing strength.

Decided on trying the Skinz Concept front end instead of the Zbros. The geometry skinz uses appeals more to me, and after thoroughly examining my spindles they look fine.

Planned to happen before Christmas:

Lightweight lithium Ion battery- around 10lbs lost
Timbersled Mountain Tamer Rear Suspension with Exit Shocks- around 30lbs lost
Replace AAEN header- Threw the stock header back on for right now, I bent the AAEN header BAD when I totaled the sled.

After all of my planned modifications are done I'm going to weigh my sled and my buddy's pro-rmk 155 and see how much I've closed the gap!

I'm hoping after the K&N Intake, full exhaust system, and fuel controller I'll have close to 155hp on a stock nytro.

Last edited:

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Received my Skinz Airframe boards today at 2:30pm and my buddy and I had them installed by 4:30. The look pretty trick! Hopefully they are worth the money and stand up to a ton of abuse.

I decided to try and use the Lord 406/19GB Adhesive. Hopefully it will increase the rigidity of the sled.

Here's some pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is how I'm going to be able to still have a parking brake since I removed the factory one. These Nytro's have a whole seperate piston assembly for a parking brake...not the smartest design! This wedge was whittled out of my old hifax and then zip tied to the brake cable. All I have to do is compress the brake then insert the wedge into the gap that appears when compressing the brake. Works like a charm!

attachment.php

Here it is in "parking brake" position.

attachment.php

Rear suspension, snow flap, and Ski-Doo XP bumper installed.

attachment.php

Just to see what it's going to look like!

attachment.php

Not sure on when my front end will be in but I think we are at least a few weeks out before we can ride without breaking anything.

IMAG0231.jpg IMAG0232.jpg IMAG0233.jpg IMAG0230.jpg IMAG0236.jpg IMAG0242.jpg IMAG0234.jpg IMAG0235.jpg

Last edited:

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Here's some more pics. A few final touches to seal everything up but it's just about ready for snow once my front end shows up. Still planning on getting a timbersled skid before Christmas.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

IMAG0249.jpg IMAG0252.jpg IMAG0240.jpg

Last edited:

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Updates:

Well I saved enough money for a 2012 Timbersled Mountain Tamer. I went with the base Exit X0's. I was kinda leaning towards them over the float shocks because they are cheaper and I don't really want to mess with air pressure in 4 different shocks (with 2 air adjustments on each of the fronts) each ride out.

Front end shows up tomorrow. The sled will be 90% finished at that point but as far as appearance goes it will be 100% done so I'll post pictures of the completed Roxy 2.4.

Thanks to TRUEBLUEMAX for swapping me his black seat for my blue seat. His sled is going to look super slick once it's all done!

Instead of going for a black sled with red accents like I wanted to, I think I'm going to paint the front vents white. With the white stickers on the shocks, the white yamaha logo and the white exit shocks I think it will look better.

Within 3 weeks she will be 100% done for the 2011/12 riding season and I will post a RTR weight of my sled and my buddies assault RMK on the same scale.

I was going to post some pics of the mountain tamer but my new phone takes to high res of photos I guess and the forum can't automatically resize them, so I'll just post finished pics tomorrow.

Last edited:

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Well guys here she is! Turned out better than I expected....going for a ride tomorrow to button everything up, I'm stoked for this riding season!

Big shout out to Scott (scmurs) at OFT racing for his help. Great guy to do business with.

Thanks again to TRUEBLUEMAX for swapping seats with me, we are going to have to rip it up this season. I haven't ridden with another nytro yet, hopefully we can change that!

Thanks to everyone else for looking/commenting, I appreciate the input.

Will update this thread when I get some wet, ready to ride, weights of my sled and my buddies pro, so stay tuned!
-Justin

attachment.php

I think this bumper has had enough!
attachment.php

attachment.php

2011-11-29 22.26.14.jpg 2011-11-30 12.25.53.jpg 2011-11-29 22.24.30.jpg

Last edited:

Jago

Premium Member
Nov 4, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
An impressive effort customizing your sled. Did you install the Skinz A concept front suspension and how do you feel they change handling performance? Any weight data yet?

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
An impressive effort customizing your sled. Did you install the Skinz A concept front suspension and how do you feel they change handling performance? Any weight data yet?

I can't say enough good things about the skinz front suspension. The changes in geometry allow the sled's suspension to absorb obstacles rather than tipping the sled down hill and tossing you when you come across that same obstacle. Slow speed, steep angle, tree riding precision is improved as well.

Here's a thread I started on the concept front suspension: http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300439

Since the last time I updated this thread I have also installed a Lithium Ion battery, replaced my damaged AAEN header, installed a Power Commander with Ulmer's Map, and changed risers out.

Hoping to have some wet weights by this weekend.

The only other change I plan to do is swapping the track out. Thinking of going to a 162" X 16" X 2.5". Considered the 3" but 1200 bucks for a track and 350 for the cooler mod seem to be a little out of reach for me.

Last edited:

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Got the sled on a scale today, full of fuel and ready to ride tomorrow! The scale was a large capacity grain truck/semi scale so it's only deals with increments of 20lbs. The scale showed 560lbs but after throwing my buddy on the scale with the sled and seeing the change in weight we concluded that it's between 550-560 most likely closer to 550 but I can't know for sure unless I use a different scale.

Pretty pumped about this! Here's some numbers I've calculated/pulled off the net for comparison:

Pro RMK 155 wet = 532 --American Snowmobiler
Pro RMK 155 dry = 431 --Polaris website
Pro RMK 163 dry = 438 --Polaris website == 7lbs added for equivalent track lengths
Pro RMK 163 wet = 539 -- my reasoning

Pro RMK Assault 155 dry = 446 --Polaris website
Pro RMK Assault 163 wet = 554 --my reasoning 532(wet pro RMK) + 15(difference between pro and assault) + 7 (for 163" track)

Ski Doo Summit X 154 wet = 550 -- American Snowmobiler

Arctic Cat M8 HCR wet= 556 -- American Snowmobiler

Conclusion- I've got a 4 stroke sled that has great suspension, is strong/durable/reliable, is VERY competitive with respects to weight, has 150-155hp, and will last 20-30k miles with or without boost!

Last edited:
Premium Features