• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Making a mesh hood: 05 King Cat

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
I have an 05 King cat, and I am thinking of making a mesh type hood, and have a few questions. First of, what kind of material do you use for the structure or frame, and what material do you use for the mesh, and where do I find that at?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Trent

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
well, my friend made one on the exact same sled. and he did an OK job, he didnt spen enough time shapping it, but it still works great and keeps his sled running COOL!

there are two ways to do this, one destroys the factory hood, you cut the stock hood up and uses it as a frame, most people dont wanna do it this way as it does destroy the factory hood

second way, my buddy took some 1/4" x 1/8" aluminum strap, and made a frame that went around the base of the hood at the belly pan, the shock tower areas are a little bit hard to follow the belly pan, but doable. then he took and bent peices to run up over the center. for the guages and headlights, he made a fiberglass housing, nothing special, but he still has lights and guages. and also keeps from burning up the ECU with it being a efi sled. the mesh he used is the same stuff most people use to make vents, its called pet proof screen door, you can find it at homedepot and lowes. mine was around $13 for a roll. and the roll will make an entire hood and have some left over. to attach it i think he just riveted the mesh to it somehow... i can call him and have him take some pictures and get em to me. the thing has been realy durable, as he rolls his sled quite a bit, and hits plenty off tree branches. only problem he had was he didnt put a brace over the area where the pipe and the can meet, so he melted a small chunk out, would have been easily fixed with a brace there.

it will work out good the more time you spent on it, he got lazy and sort of half a$$ed it, looks fine, but the finish is alright.. he did spend the time to make it hing up front and attached the limiting cable so he can just hang it open. and on the back, he just took the straps off the factory hood and riveted them to the mesh one, so he hasnt had a problem with it coming open.

one though i just had and descided to add, if you had acces to a tig welder, or even if you dont, i thing the ideal metal to make the bottom outer layer would be 1/4" aluminum rod. not flat stuff, that way you could bend it around the shock tower hump and it would end up fit better, just seemed like it would make it fit better for overall fit and finish... get some pics when its done!!

Last edited:
J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
I'd like to see some pics of that ^ if you can get them. I've been thinking of the same thing myself but don't want to lose the headlight/cluster.

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
Wow!! Thanks alot for that post Ski-Dooin' it. Yeah me and a buddy were talking about getting some aluminum rod for the base if it and then using some straps to go across the hood. His dad co-owns a welding place in town, so we could weld the aluminum pretty easily. When you talked about burning up the computer, how do you do that or prevent it from happening because mine is also an EFI. I was thinking about getting a foglight or two from wal mart or somthing and mounting it somwhere instead of using the stock headlight. If I run a different headlight, how do I wire that up, and what do I do with the original wires that ran to the headlight??
Thanks alot for all of your help!!
Trent

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
you could use a foglight for a light, but you still nead to mount your gauges... you could do a peice of plexiglass on the back, and mount that to the console, and have the hood drop down to it. wouldnt be hard at all. on wiring the lights, i dont know what the wires look like, as its not on my sled, if you get a picture of the wires going into the lights, im shure people could help you wire it, and then you could use stock buttons, to control it

if you could get it welded, and you shape it a little better than my buddies, it will turn out great,

i was stoked when you posted, as i had seen one made for the EXACT same sled

N

Nate

Apr 22, 2006
Northeast Wyoming/Mission Viejo California
Aluminum strap and trampoline material with some zipties. Hinges, uses all stock OEM gauges and lights and trampoline material works wonders, no soaking, snow vibrates right off. weighs 4lbs.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85513

Just have to get over the fact of cutting up your stocker OEM light pod if you go that route. Completely rebuildable and outside the hood pod costs about $100 to make and about 8-10 hours

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
i guess i never though of trampoline material, a little more expensive, but tighter weave, you know that stuff is SUPER strong and stretches a little so you can mold it really well.

Nate is showing you the idea i was talking about where you hack up the old hood to keep the gauge pod.

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
Nate, that looks pretty good, nice work man. So if I dont run the stock guage/headlight housing, I was thinking that out of some flat aluminum or somthing I could cut a hole for my tach, bend it at a 45 or so and mount it to or by the handlebars somehow, kind of like the way the digitron guages are, then I could run some fog lights or somthing. I'm guessing I just find the power wire and splice into it right, or no??? Another question is where should I mount the lights, I have seen down by the bellypan, right in front of the pipe and I have seen higher up by the top of the airbox, Im thinkin airbox would be better but does anybody have a suggestion?

Forgot to ask, Nate where do I get that trampoline matieral, is that better then the pet proof screen that Ski-Dooin' it mentioned??

Thanks alot guys for all your help
Trent

Last edited:
D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Try and find a wrecked hood that can be repaired. The wrecked hood I have had several cracks, but I was able to repair them with aluminum strap and rivets.
Strip everything off of it, and swiss cheese it, then cover it with pet screen secured with rivets. (Don't forget to hang your brand new takeoff hood up on the wall).
The one I made isn't the prettiest (I could have taken a little more time on it), but it's extemely functional. Has been in roll overs, and the hinge works.
Total cost was under $30.
I've got a couple of cans of AC green paint, so I might take it apart for paint and rescreen.

2530497013_922f2d14f4.jpg

N

Nate

Apr 22, 2006
Nate, that looks pretty good, nice work man. So if I dont run the stock guage/headlight housing, I was thinking that out of some flat aluminum or somthing I could cut a hole for my tach, bend it at a 45 or so and mount it to or by the handlebars somehow, kind of like the way the digitron guages are, then I could run some fog lights or somthing. I'm guessing I just find the power wire and splice into it right, or no??? Another question is where should I mount the lights, I have seen down by the bellypan, right in front of the pipe and I have seen higher up by the top of the airbox, Im thinkin airbox would be better but does anybody have a suggestion?

Forgot to ask, Nate where do I get that trampoline matieral, is that better then the pet proof screen that Ski-Dooin' it mentioned??

Thanks alot guys for all your help
Trent

outdoortextiles.com, comes in pretty much any color you want. Good stuff, you need a heat gun. The 1M hood shouldnt be near as hard as an M.

Id mount your lights on your handlebars. Call Diamond S they make a small hood pod for the Vectors and RX1's like this

http://www.diamond-smfg.com/TurnKeySleds.html

Top picture there the blue/black RX1. Call Scott at Diamond S and get ya one of those for your gauge. You should mount your EGT on your handlebars as well

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
Thanks Nate, where do I go to find that matieral on the site you gave me?? I will have to give Scott a call on monday and check that out.
Thanks man
Trent

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
I went to a tent and awning shop for screen material. I did my side vents and hood with the same stuff, it was about $16 a yard and is super strong.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
definately get some pics as you go along..... to bad you cant rock out mesh hoods on rev chassis sleds... oh wll, have to come up with something

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
Oh alright, thats no problem, I will just them a call tomorrow sometime. What do you guys think, powdercoat the aluminum frame orange and have a black material covering or leave it plain aluminum finish with a black covering or....?? Now I need some suggestions haha.
Thanks again guys
Trent

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
the alum with mesh over it looks pretty cool IMO, but if you wanna spend some extra dough, the the p-coating would be pretty cool, its just hard to see, and if you use tramp material, you wont see it much at all.

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
Nate, how much material did you use on the hood that you made? I am probably going to order some either today or tomorrow and I think we are going to start on building the frame hopefully this weekend.
Thanks
Trent

N

Nate

Apr 22, 2006
I got 9 yards. See if you can get it 60" wide x 9 yards. That will give you boo boo material and extra if you burn a hole in it from an accident. Stuff is tough to tear, really tough, but flexes well with heat, and its disposable. If you run out of material, run around the neighberhood till you find someone with a trampoline and sneak into the back yard with a razor knife :p get some more ;)

Material gonna run ya about $100 shipped

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
LOL Alright thanks man, how did you attach the material to the aluminum, do you think rivets would be alright or would they end up tearing over time?
Trent

Premium Features