• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowmobile hood tab repair?

H
Mar 13, 2013
Hi!

We have a 2000 Arctic Cat Powder Special 600 hood that needs some tabs repaired (see pics). I'm not sure what the material the hood is made from (Lexan maybe? I read somewhere on the net that it might be Lexan).

Tab #1
Tab 1.jpg

Tab#2
Tab 2.jpg

Any advice on how to repair this?

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
It's Metton and difficult material to repair. I would recommend going to an auto body jobber and seeing what brand they carry for repair. Fusor, 3M, Norton, etc. Ask for a semi rigid repair material. Glue it in and reinforce with that plastic sheet rock mesh for holes.

H
Mar 13, 2013
It's Metton and difficult material to repair. I would recommend going to an auto body jobber and seeing what brand they carry for repair. Fusor, 3M, Norton, etc. Ask for a semi rigid repair material. Glue it in and reinforce with that plastic sheet rock mesh for holes.
Would 3M Panel Bond do the job?

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
3M panel bond (8115) is best for bonding metal to metal. My choice in 3M would be 4240 with a Polyolefin adhesion promoter. Like I said, Metton is difficult, it is not fiberglass, it is not plastic like polypropylene, it is unique and requires specific material to have any success. Glad it is no longer used in snowmobiles

H
Mar 13, 2013
3M panel bond (8115) is best for bonding metal to metal. My choice in 3M would be 4240 with a Polyolefin adhesion promoter. Like I said, Metton is difficult, it is not fiberglass, it is not plastic like polypropylene, it is unique and requires specific material to have any success. Glad it is no longer used in snowmobiles
Could I use two-part epoxy to fill the void left from the missing areas and the broken area of both tabs? I would make a form to hold in the epoxy and hardener.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
One material, the 4240 handles it all. 4240 is a urethane, don't want to be mixing an epoxy with it. Make your dam with tape, apply material, smooth it out , add mesh over it for strength, skim with more material.

H
Mar 13, 2013
One material, the 4240 handles it all. 4240 is a urethane, don't want to be mixing an epoxy with it. Make your dam with tape, apply material, smooth it out , add mesh over it for strength, skim with more material.
Is 4240 runny or can it be molded? I have big areas to be filled because of missing pieces... Where's the best place to buy it? It looks pricey...

I was thinking about this product: JB Weld Plastic Bonder

or this one: Permatex Plastic Welder

Would either of these do the job?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
It's pricey compared to what you mentioned.
Just be glad you're not in Canada where 200mL is $114.
I have done repairs using JB weld Plastic bonder as well as Permatex plastic welder. I found they make a pretty weak bond with plastic of any kind and need reinforcing using fine wire as stitching by drilling very small holes on both sides of repair to thread it through. Then apply the product over the stitches and far enough out to lend support to the joint.

As in any product like this you would have to build up a makeshift dam/mold to keep it where you want it while it cures. Apply the mesh as koolaid noted above or do the stitching method if required. Drill any necessary holes after it has hardened. Good luck with your repair.

Premium Features