• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 m8 drive cluth spring

W
Jun 13, 2009
hey guys i just bought a used 2009 m8 and it has a red spring in the drive clutch. everything from cat calls out for a yellow/white spring to set the weights by. what is the difference in the spring and what is the benefits. should i switch it back to yellow/white spring so i dont risk over reving engine?

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Springs

The red spring is a lighter spring than the white. As a reference the white spring will give you an engagement of around 4100 rpm. The red about 3700 rpm. Close rpms as I do not remember for sure. I have used the gold Cat spring that engages even lower at 3500 rpm or there abouts. It seems to be a popular spring with some people and if I remember it is close to the red. I do like the lower engagement. Some people like it because they think it increases ridability and reduces trenching. YMMV. If it were mine I would leave it in and pick up another couple of springs and give them a try. I think the red spring was widely used in the mountain sleds up until 2005. I dont think the spring has as much to do with max engine rpm as the weights.

Premium Features