• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic cat clutch is it really only good for approx 1500 miles

biggdaddy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2008
I keep hearing that arctic cat clutches are only good to approx 1500 miles what is everyone doing to upgrade or whats the fix. This is on the M1000. Thanks

hcrider

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2009
wyoming
1500 miles?

that sure seems to be the magic number. mine let loose right around there and created a CATastrophic mess under the hood, like $5000 dollars worth. thanks goodness for warranty

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
I've got that on my M8 clutch and they are all boosted miles. It works and looks fine. Don't buy into the fear mongering. More often then not, five people will have a problem on here and then everyone is wondering why there isn't a recall or that it is a serious issue. Take a look at your clutch and make sure you maintain it properly.

I'm sure there are guys on here who will sell you all the parts and "fixes" in the world for it though.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
The parts & fixes are legit... IF you have one go.

I've seen them go around 1000 mile on stock sleds... there are some with issues for sure, but I've also seen plenty last much longer too.

I've cracked spiders on all my sleds, but I can always tie it to an event (usually doing stepups where I land with track speed & no ground speed... that seems to do it really well!!:face-icon-small-dis

Got 1700 jumping, dropping, stepup-ing (heck yeah that's a word!:becky:) high PSI boosted miles on my 11 now & spider looks good so far... luck of the draw I guess.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Wow backcountry I never thought about the stress it would cause my drivetrain when pinning it with no momentum but that makes complete sense. Just like a dirtbike you can snap your chain landing with the brakes on or pinned with not enough momentum.

I did Lose my primary spider on my 10 m8 at 1200 miles. My 08 went 3k plus on same stock clutching when I sold it, it was fine.

S

sledheadjake

Aug 31, 2009
Bonners Ferry ID
I lost a roller at 2200 miles,it still turns into a 400 dollar fix though since you cant just replace the bad roller and weight:face-icon-small-dis

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
The 2011 clutches seem to have different tolerances. Everything seems tighter on them. Spider metal density/material, who knows probably the same. They superseded the clutch last year. I had new 2010 and 2011 clutches in hand last spring and could tell the 2011 clutch did seem to have tighter rollers. MDS had to tweak their weights a tad because some of his early weights were binding up in my 2011 clutch and not in my 2010 clutch. So hopefully the 2011 clutches last longer now.

A good way to make your clutches and rollers last longer is to blow them out with compressed air after every ride. You will be shocked how much dust billows out. Since I've been doing this I haven't lost a clutch yet. Before that I had roller failures every 800-1000 miles.

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
750 miles I had to replace pins and bushings on an 09 M8, 2 -2010 M8s I ride with had issues...the first one blew the spider at 2,500 miles, the second we caught in time and warrenty replaced the clutch. Since I replaced pins and bushings I put 1,500 miles on with no issues, however have installed a P-85 now. In our group there are a couple of other 09 M8s which have 5,000 miles on them and seem to be doing fine.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
my m7 with Cutler 1000 Dragon motor would crack the spider about every season

Spyder would crack after about 500 miles.

M

M6johnny

Dec 4, 2007
Brookings SD
I got almost 5000 miles out of my stock primary on my old 2006 M7. Then it seized a roller and now the clutch is collecting dust in my garage.

I also got about 700 miles out of my primary on my 2010 M8. But, I opted out for a better fix and did the P85 conversion.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
more clutch issues after those clutch's have been hot a few times.. Aluminum can't tolerate much heat. Lots of short life clutch's after lots of hot belts, viscous cycle. And yeah sure some defective ones get out there and go kaput in 900 miles. Bad clutch setup that makes heat, vibration and burned belts wear out clutch's.

162" stiff tracks and big riders with poor throttle discretion going up through driffed hard snow is pretty much death for spyders. In days gone by with the last of the comet 108's and my newly 2" tracked thunder cat I could crack a spyder with one little road crossing, **** the spyder out of my $1000 CNC clutch in two road crossing. The only clutch that would last was a Yamaha.
We have actually come a long way on clutch survival, how ever they are still made from aluminum.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Something that no one has talked about is how some people think they have to be blipping the throttle constantly. That will wear out a clutch pretty fast. I always laugh when i see or hear people riding that way. Most people would get twice as many miles on their clutch if they would learn that simple lesson.

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
Something that no one has talked about is how some people think they have to be blipping the throttle constantly. That will wear out a clutch pretty fast. I always laugh when i see or hear people riding that way. Most people would get twice as many miles on their clutch if they would learn that simple lesson.

X2!

Premium Features