• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Kinda "SHOT" system for the 2017's

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
We did a lot of testing last year with Ucaps. But finally got the full set up installed.
The set up is put on a factory Estart 2013 Doo Summit X with pull start. But will work with any sled with regular eStart
So far it works just like the "shot" system in the new Doo's
the weigh savings for our particular set us is 13.5 lbs
The U cap needs the sled to run for about 2-3 minutes and its fully charged. From our tests last year our set up held charge for about 3 days to start the sled.
So you could theoretically use lower storage capacity Ucaps to save a little weight and reduce the time. But for the sake of "grams" I think were good.

cheers

Allan

IMG_0690.JPG IMG_0696.jpg IMG_0688.JPG IMG_0691.JPG IMG_0694.JPG IMG_0695.JPG

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Thats awesome!! I think its pretty reasonable to believe doo will go bigger on the capacitor in the future. Pull start on Thursday and then use shot all weekend. Haha.

How you found the system to be reliable in super cold mornings? Or would you still rather pull start for the first start of the day?

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
The potential is there. Ive asked a couple of dealers and service tech's if they know the SHOT systems details, but Ive come up with 0. The fact that there is a "warranty recall" for a software update to "fix" a overcharging issue with the SHOT could deposable be that the Ucpas are most certainly of a smaller capacitance. The usual charging voltage on the regular system is about 14.7v The Ucap were using has a max of 16.2v so it will not over charge its capacity.

Were going through a cold spell right now, Im hoping to see how it works over the weekend.

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
Thanks for the info Barcode, you could call your system cap/start or cap/estart. The cap is an affordable replacement for the battery and cheaper than a lithium iron battery so it may be the replacement that I was looking for? About the same weight reduction as a can and no added noise. Let us know how it performs through the cold period.

Your link seemed to infer that you had to buy a large quantity do you know if they sell single units as well?

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
I forgot to ask what are the actual measurements of the cap? It appears to fit in the original battery box, thanks.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Gauge of wire

Thanks for the great post and great idea !

You'll be seeing the OEMS in the dirt/streetbike world and sled mfgs going to the Ultracaps in the very near future.

You may want to go for a bit larger gauge wire 8ga or 6ga ... the starter is still drawing the same amount of amps.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
We will be going to a larger gauge wire. We did get a quick test in over the weekend -32C didn't want to start from sitting over night. But worked after the pull start and ran for two min. This set up worked in warmer weather closer to 0c were thinking the smaller wire is limiting it in the cold.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Also...When attaching the wire to the U-cap pack... solder can melt from the heat... especially with smaller wire.

Good to do mechanical fastening and solder too at the pack... And a really strong crimp at the other end... my 2¢

Just go with some good fine strand 6 gauge cable... If you have a marine store near you like west marine etc... just go for the ANCOR brand cable... It is fine strand, flexible in the cold and is tinned for better corrosion resistance and good soldering.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Ultra-capacitor review
I tested for about 10 rides in a Polaris and now a Ski-doo e-tec)

Pros:

Closest thing to SHOT with old-school starter.
Less expensive than most lithium batteries.
Much longer life cycle than lithium batteries (1/2 million cycles).
3 starts per charge.
charges in 10 minutes at idle.
comes with charge resistor to protect charging system. (instructions supplied).
smaller than a battery.
2.5 lbs
no separate battery required.

Cons:

Case is not waterproof, silicon or other sealing required.
cables are too long.
3 week delivery.
manufacturer is not likely to help with warranty issues.
about same thickness and height as the battery but 1/2 the length so mounting needs to be considered.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B017FY67P0/...088100_TE_item

I was hoping to rep this product but the manufacturer is difficult to deal with so you guys are on your own for buying from the internet.

Overall I give this product a definite thumbs up.

Cap 1.jpg cap 2.jpg cap 4.jpg

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Ordered the Eaton cap through Digi-key. Cost $175 w/ delivery. Little more than through Mouser but no order requirements. Placed order on 1/4, it showed up 1/9. Have to figure out how I am going to install and hopefully try this weekend.

Premium Features