• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Symptoms of failing Shot System ????

R
Nov 16, 2016
I own a 2020 850 Summit X 154 w/ only 450 miles on it.
It has never been crashed or misused (I'm 73 years old).

The last few times out, I encountered a strange Shot System malfunction.
During several random start up attempts, the engine's starting system would attempt to turn the crankshaft over, and would then quit.
Upon the second attempt, it would fire up as usual.
It has done this only a few times and very randomly.

Is this a symptom of a possible soon-to-be Shot System failure?

snow-doo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Atascadero Ca
Make sure your glove doesn’t cause the button to not stay depressed,this probably a dumb reply ,but I have a pair of Klim gloves that makes this happen .when it fails it just stops.At least That is what mine did .Good luck

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
My 22 edge is giving me problems also, most times works fine but 2-3times a day it won't start no matter how long I hold the button, but also noticed sometimes reverse gives my trouble, but if I blip the throttle and try it again it goes right in, so I'm thinking it's the button that is malfunctioning

C
Mar 15, 2018
Interesting. After putting a clutch kit in my 22 summit I was adjusting the belt deflection so I started it, engaged the clutched to settle the belt, then shut it off right away to adjust the driven. When I pushed the shot button to restart, I noticed the clutch turn a few degrees in a lazy fashion then stop, then a second or two later it started. I thought perhaps is was because I had not run it for more than. a few seconds the first time that maybe the capacitor was not fully charged. It did the same thing on subsequent starts while adjusting the deflection. Later in the day, I went for a ride and one time, in the middle of the ride, it would not start with the shot so I had to pull he cord. Worked perfect before and after that one time.

Lake Powell

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2016
Silt, Colorado
Normal for it to rotate a few degrees or even a half a revolution to line up the crank position to turn over and fire, simply put explanation. Sometimes gloves do interfere with pushing the button all the way. I have a 2019 with 5600 miles and it has always done this. Not an instant start like a regular starter is. Peter

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
When the ultracapacitor dies, it's dead to the world. Brother's wound up just randomly not starting even though the button was pushed and held down. Started randomly here and there, then just died. Thankfully we were on a trail but still 20+ mile tow isn't that much fun. Less fun if you're in back eating snow and ice from the track and scratchers.

wideopenbeau

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2009
Milky Way.
When the ultracapacitor dies, it's dead to the world. Brother's wound up just randomly not starting even though the button was pushed and held down. Started randomly here and there, then just died. Thankfully we were on a trail but still 20+ mile tow isn't that much fun. Less fun if you're in back eating snow and ice from the track and scratchers.
The shot just died or it would not start with the pull rope ether? That doesn’t sound like a shot problem.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Capacitor failed and was replaced under warranty. Sled was dead, would not start with rope hence the tow back to town

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
when pull starting, the resistance seems to be more than usual... can be a sign of pending failure. Everyone knows if SMART fails you just unplug it and start with the rope...

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
mine went out on my 2020 freeride about halfway thru it's second season, it started working intermittently and then not at all. i sold the sled with it still not working but covered under warranty, new owner got back to me and had it fixed--there's a sensor for the SHOT system that tells the engine what position the crankshaft is in and that's what failed.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
So what I'm hearing is you can unplug the shot system and it'll start and run just fine?

Premium Features