• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timbersled Center Skeg

L
Nov 18, 2014
CDA, ID
I’m at a point where I need to replace the center skegs on both mine and my wife’s skis. They are the old(non ARO) kits and just worn down from age. We don’t ride much hard pack other than the obligatory parking lot and trail to get out.

I’m wondering if it’s worth double the cost for the Triple Point Skeg over just a replacement from TS? Opinions? Other options?

Saundet

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2017
Spokane, WA
I changed to the triple point last season. I caught a hidden rock on the old U style Skeg and bent my forks. The old style is crazy sticky when it hits rocks and the triple point tends to glance off them better.
That being said, I find with the triple point my ski washes out a fair bit more than the old skeg both on powder and icy roads. When I’m due to replace my triple point I will go with it again but only because coming to a unplanned dead stop from a hidden obstacle is hard on equipment and your wrists.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
The triple point is worth it as soon as you hit hard crust or ice.
Smooth and easy ride. (Even asphalt)

I personally didn’t notice any downsides to it.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I had triple points centre and on the outsides that was hands down the best setup for me no washing out at all.

The whole front rear balance thing is pretty important to not have the ski wash out--proper balance between front and back is where it is at.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Triple point

Another vote for triple point. The added stability when crossing roads or ice is a major benefit.

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
Does anyone have a decent source for the triple points?

I keep seeing these recommended but I can't find any retailers who sell them. Or even a part number?

My U shaped center is worn and the outers are just simmons style 4" and they wash out bad.... granted I'm new to the snowbike thing so maybe that's just me.

A
Jan 18, 2018
I changed to the triple point last season. I caught a hidden rock on the old U style Skeg and bent my forks. The old style is crazy sticky when it hits rocks and the triple point tends to glance off them better.
That being said, I find with the triple point my ski washes out a fair bit more than the old skeg both on powder and icy roads. When I’m due to replace my triple point I will go with it again but only because coming to a unplanned dead stop from a hidden obstacle is hard on equipment and your wrists.

It is always a good idea with a new U shaped center skag to take a grinder and smooth the front edge of it. From the factory they have a 90 degree angle in the front, helps a ton to grind it down so it has a nice transition from the plastic of the ski up onto the metal.

I noticed zero negative effect for it's ability to steer on ice, but now when it hits objects under the snow the ski tends to ride over them rather than catching or kicking off to the side severely like it used to.

Haven't tried the carbides yet, with the above mod I've been happy with the stock center.

P
Jan 3, 2018
NH
It is always a good idea with a new U shaped center skag to take a grinder and smooth the front edge of it. From the factory they have a 90 degree angle in the front, helps a ton to grind it down so it has a nice transition from the plastic of the ski up onto the metal.

I noticed zero negative effect for it's ability to steer on ice, but now when it hits objects under the snow the ski tends to ride over them rather than catching or kicking off to the side severely like it used to.

Haven't tried the carbides yet, with the above mod I've been happy with the stock center.

Case in point.... I'll be grinding mine down or ordering the carbides.

I wasn't sure what the damage to my front end was caused from, but pretty sure I can narrow it down to a minor hit of a rock on a frozen lake on one of the 2 rides I did last season. Center skag just hit the rock, stopped the bike dead in its track (moving pretty slow), and tipped over. Didn't notice the damage to my kit until a week ago.

Premium Features