• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

? for those running Raze ECU on KTM 450

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Question is, what TPS setting is working best for people? I am running Wingman with Ninja Back up on a 2013 450sx. Using the harness supplied by Raze. Bike was having a hard start issue, and I am confident in valve adjustment dept. Bought a TPS tool and it showed .66 initially. I set it to .64 and it seemed better. Any suggestions on whats working well for folks with experience in this matter. I am riding between 2k and 7k elevation. Also what idle rpm is working best? Typically I like a fairly high idle but havnt checked it with tach. Gonna pick one up tommorow.

Klutch

Premium Member
Dec 9, 2007
I was told by Raze your tps shoul be at the factory setting and idle at 2000rpm

K
Oct 13, 2017
I am having the same issue with the ECU on my 500. The bike will not start when cold. AT ALL. I start the bike with the stock ECU and let it warm up then put the raze unit in. I keep the stock ECU in my case during the day in case the bike cools off. I called them and the guy said "try starting fluid" are you F%$@#ing kidding me I just spend over a grand on this???!!!!
I also have a TPS tuner and have tried going rich and lean no dice. Whats odd is the RAZE unit seems to prime a lot more then the stock. I smell gas so I think its too rich on the starts.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Yea, Im pretty fed up with the RAZE kit honestly. Ran great at low elevation for 2 hours. Now wont start cold. Have to use starting fluid, or else the battery WILL go dead. Brand new YTZ7. TPS setting makes no difference in starting. I had to change my harness to make the ECU work so no putting stocker back in. Im gonna check Valves this Weekend but I know that isnt the problem. Unless in that first 2 hours with the ECU it tightened up the intake valves that much. I dought it, and if it did, I would not count on motor lasting long with this tuning. Oh yea, N2O doesnt seem to work either. WTF

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
Sucks to hear about the issues. I tried the PR2 on my 16.5 450sx-f and it was so rich it might have well have been over fueling as a choke condition. Had to return it, seems the factory edition is "special" even though I can't find a part number that's different from a 17 on the OEM fiche. 190 degree thermobob, custom engine and radiator jackets, and careful attention to temps with the stock ECU has been my only trust worthy setup at the end of the day.

TPS is ignored on the vortex (pr2) and get (raze) ECU as I understand it, so your adjustments are likely ignored. it zeros it's fuel at idle on startup. It's likely too lean on the bottom, just as a test perhaps throw some fuel in a spray bottle and try that over starting fluid?

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
Yea, Im pretty fed up with the RAZE kit honestly. Ran great at low elevation for 2 hours. Now wont start cold. Have to use starting fluid, or else the battery WILL go dead. Brand new YTZ7. TPS setting makes no difference in starting. I had to change my harness to make the ECU work so no putting stocker back in. Im gonna check Valves this Weekend but I know that isnt the problem. Unless in that first 2 hours with the ECU it tightened up the intake valves that much. I dought it, and if it did, I would not count on motor lasting long with this tuning. Oh yea, N2O doesnt seem to work either. WTF

On my buddy's yz with then ninja the NO2 won't kick in unless engine temp, air intake temp, and all perimeters are perfect to protect the motor... might want to check your sensor connections and impedance on the sensors to see if you have a faulty sensor or connection. Water in a connection plug would be enough to potentially throw a bad reading.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
So after this post, I tried RAZE again and got a call back. They are sending me a laptop to do diagnostics with. To be fair, they have been helpful with troubleshooting and I have faith we will get this bike on track. I really want it to run as well as it did for the first two hours! And I really want the Ninja kit to do its thing! Evidently there is a Bluetooth based diagnostics app in development. That would be a handy tool with this technology. Also, the GET ECU does use TPS and it is dependant on the OEM setting.

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
thanks for the feed back on that... the vortex (according to Jeff at PR2) doesn't use the TPS as a factor. Good to know that you can make some manual input tweaks on the GET/Raze

K
Oct 13, 2017
I did not use the raze harness. I just cut a small hole in the top of the stock sleeve for the barometric sensor. I don’t ride with stock unit once the bike is warm the raze works great and starts easy. Good idea with the fuel spray I will try that today
I carry a small jump pack in my tunnel case too since they took the Kickstarter off these things!

sparkey800

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2014
Great Info

Thanks guys for the info. I am sure others like me that are ready do do ECM as one of the next upgrades on their bike. Keep the info and your advice coming it is very good to know, as the products have limited real world unbiased feed back.

Premium Features