• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

10 M8 won't start

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
I have a buddy that has a new M8 and he left it out side after riding it and now it will not start. Pulled and pulled and will not start. We pulled it in the shop and warmed it up, still would not start. pulled the plugs and when you pull it over gas shoots out the spark plug holes like two geysers. anyone have this problem yet??:(

K

KAW76

Jan 28, 2009
Ravensdale, WA
Maybe?

How do the plugs look? Fouled?

Did you check spark?

Is the key on? not being a smartass but I have seen this before, I leave my key on and just use the kill switch so maybe check this?

Fuel, Air, and spark should fire? it is an 2010 warranty? good luck.

800Cat

Nov 27, 2007
Montana
Thats interesting let us know what you find out? I would say take into the dealer and let them look at it. It should have warrenty still i would think...good luck

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
We are takig it to the dealer tomorrow as it only has about 100 miles on it. Just wanted to see if anybody has had this happen to them. Not a good start for the cat.

C

colorado logger

Dec 4, 2007
south fork co
10 M8 High Compression

I have a buddy that has a new M8 and he left it out side after riding it and now it will not start. Pulled and pulled and will not start. We pulled it in the shop and warmed it up, still would not start. pulled the plugs and when you pull it over gas shoots out the spark plug holes like two geysers. anyone have this problem yet??:([/QUOTE

Yes I have noticed my 2010 is harder to start. Must be the higher compression = harder to pull over.

I had a similar situation on a very cold morning, everything in the on position, on second pull it fired and died. Several pulls later decided it was not going to start. Had no idea what good be wrong so started to get ready to bring inside. Just before the hassle of moving in side tried again. First pull nothing, second pull cracked throttle a bit and it fired. I think they are flooding, just to hard to pull over when -20. Here's what I have been trying- turn key off for several pulls, loosen things up. Turn key on and pull as hard as he!! :D

M
Nov 16, 2009
Anchorage, AK
My buddy missed out on riding last weekend with the EXACT same issue. He was able to get it started first pulling the plugs, airing/ warming it up in the garage for a while, put in new plugs, which were immediatly doused with fuel. Finally started by holding the throttle wide open and pulling. Said it garbled at first and then fired up and is as good as new. Sounded like it was flooded?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
I'm thinking thats whats going on (flooded by being outside in the cold). Thanks for sharing your stories, My buddy also missed out on a weekend ride because of this.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Was it parked slightly down hill and full of fuel? I've noticed that mine will flood out very easy in this position. Like mentioned before.....shut the kill switch off..give it a couple pulls...turn the kill switch back on and it should fire right up.....good luck

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
We had the same issue this weekend, pulled a plug and pulled it over a few times. When we put it back in I held it open and pulled a couple times and it started. Ran like it was flooded then cleaned up and ran fine.

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
I had the same problem today when I went to unload my sled. Started 2nd pull, quickly died and would not start. I gave it ten minutes or so and tried again. About 10 pulls and nothing. Held the throttle open and 2nd pull she fired and ran. Seemed very loaded up. I'm blaming my girlfriend since she rode it last! This sled seems to load up pretty bad if it's not opened up fairly often. Point is this.... don't give up on it and miss out on riding. Play with different throttle positions and you should get it started.

Jan 1, 2008
won't start

my sled did same thing. a friend of mine has access to cat in thief river ,they said common issue with safety switch in throttle block[ ice ,snow ,cold temps] the fix spray silicone,tri flow around pin that holds throttle lever to the throttle block!!!!!!!!! did it and it's worked fine since

K

Kruchy

Sep 30, 2009
Goodsoil, SK
This happened to me a month ago. I put a post up and got lots of responses, thanks. It was flooded. I pinched the fuel line with some vise grips and held the throttle wide open until it started.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
Ya we pulled and pulled on it last night. Took out the plugs and had the key and kill switch off and gas would come out of the plugs holes for as long as you wanted to pull it. Put it in the truck and back to the dealer it goes. It's their problem now.

On a side note I love my Yammie even more now!!:D

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
Fuel Pump

It reminds me of the fuel pump on the daughter's Polaris 600. Really could not even pull it over, pulled the plugs and it was a geyser of fuel. The pipe was full as was the case. I rebuilt the fuel pump to no avail and finally replaced it, that solved the problem.

The 2010 has the fuel pump inside the tank though. I guess it could still go bad and allow gas to fill the engine. I have not had this problem with mine (fingers crossed here), but it is hard to start. I miss the choke. I have always started mine with my left and cracked the gas with my right. The dealer said this is a no no on my new kitty though as it will flood it. So make sure you are not touching the gas when you first try to start it. I do flick it once or twice before I pull on the initial start and I have learned to do the initial pull or two just to get things moving before I really pull.

So let us know what the dealer says.

tsnowak

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage, Ak
Sounds like injectors may be sticking. If this is the case Lightly tapping on them with a screwdriver may free up. On my 05 F7 I went through 2 fuel pumps, started looking into why and found out the in tank pump is lubricated by gas. Our fuel now days is oxygenated, this makes it "drier" meaning less lubrication. The local dealer suggjusted adding about 2-3 oz. of injection oil to the tank at every fill up. Hardly enough to effect the fuel/oil ratio, but will lubricate the entire fuel system, pump to injectors. Couple sleds and 4000+mi. later, have not had any other fuel sys. issues. Doesnt take much just enough to increase the lubricity of the fuel. Good insurance cause those pumps/injectors arent cheap! Let us know what dealer found.

/

Last edited:
A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
Went to drop it off at the Dealer and jump in the back of the truck to get the sled out and it poped off on the first pull. Buddy feels like a douche now, probably won't show his face at the dealer for a bit.

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
But it still has an issue. Just because it started today does not mean it is going to start on Sat. when he wants to ride. It is a new sled and is well under warranty. He paid a lot for the sled and he should never miss a day of riding. Never be intimidated by a dealer or anyone else. Since it has an issue, make them fix it.

Did he run 12 oz oil in his first tank of fuel? I ran 12, ran it down to about 1/2 a tank, filled it, and added another 6 oz of oil so I knew my first 100 to 150 miles had plenty of oil in the gas for break in. You don't have to be precise; I was probably 16 oz and 8 oz, but you need to do it.

Tsnowak may be on to something.

Engine Pro 5x

Premium Member
Sep 20, 2009
KANSAS
Yep we learned the hard way too. Every morning I apply a little throttle Before I pull my brains out and flood the engine !!! >>>>.

Engine Pro 5x

Premium Member
Sep 20, 2009
KANSAS
When it's in the single digits it's almost a given that my 08 M/8 won't start. I give it one pull to limber it up and another pull with about 1/4 throttle and on the third pull it will usually fire. Now remember this is when it's mega cold outside. Now if it's in the 20's it will start right up >>>>.

Premium Features