• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SnoScoot Clutch Mods

Sumac Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Mar 3, 2009
Central Wisconsin
It Sure Helped.........

We didn't get much time on it last season not a lot of the white stuff here last year....

It pulls off the bottom better, the belt is all the way to the bottom of the Primary & all the way to the top of the secondary.

Lighting up the shoes on the centrifugal clutch just lets the engine get a little head start before the track starts to turn.

The top end is a lot better than stock, next to a "stock Scoot" it will out run it no problem, never had a chance to get along side with a big sled to get a speed reading, I would say maybe 40 mph?

We cut & ground as much as we could so I think it is at it's limit now..... We will know better in a few weeks if the weather keeps going the way it is now.

S
Apr 20, 2010
We didn't get much time on it last season not a lot of the white stuff here last year....

It pulls off the bottom better, the belt is all the way to the bottom of the Primary & all the way to the top of the secondary.

Lighting up the shoes on the centrifugal clutch just lets the engine get a little head start before the track starts to turn.

The top end is a lot better than stock, next to a "stock Scoot" it will out run it no problem, never had a chance to get along side with a big sled to get a speed reading, I would say maybe 40 mph?

We cut & ground as much as we could so I think it is at it's limit now..... We will know better in a few weeks if the weather keeps going the way it is now.

Did you do some additional holes in the shoe ? ,you have a pic after the shoes was lightning ?

Thanks for input

Sumac Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Mar 3, 2009
Central Wisconsin
Lighter

Did you do some additional holes in the shoe ? ,you have a pic after the shoes was lightning ?

Thanks for input

We just took the shoes to the belt sander & shortened them up a bit ( see pictures earlier in thread ) Drilling holes would work also, it was just easier for us on the belt sander. We thought it would do the best if the weight came off of the end/tip also. Drilling them out would look cool..."Clutch Porting"......???

W
Jan 2, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
Interesting stuff. I have a scoot and a sport. Been playing with clutching on the scoot as we've been overloading it with me and all the kids climbing on it at once! Now looking to long track the sport (108).

Anyway, I've replaced the scoot secondary spring with a new sport spring and shimmed it so the scoot wont die under heavy load. But disengagement is a problem. Was just going to try heavier carrier springs (already have sport springs there too) but lightening is a better idea that I didn't think of... Might drill though. Anyway, I'll see if that does the trick!

Sumac Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Mar 3, 2009
Central Wisconsin
Rollers in Primary????

Interesting stuff. I have a scoot and a sport. Been playing with clutching on the scoot as we've been overloading it with me and all the kids climbing on it at once! Now looking to long track the sport (108).

Anyway, I've replaced the scoot secondary spring with a new sport spring and shimmed it so the scoot wont die under heavy load. But disengagement is a problem. Was just going to try heavier carrier springs (already have sport springs there too) but lightening is a better idea that I didn't think of... Might drill though. Anyway, I'll see if that does the trick!

Did you check the rollers in the Primary? They tend to get flat sided & gummed up from the grease that was put in at the factory, we will check the rollers, replace if flat sided & clean out all the grease & crud. We put back dry & they have been good so far. Might help your disengagement problem.......

W
Jan 2, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
Did you check the rollers in the Primary? They tend to get flat sided & gummed up from the grease that was put in at the factory, we will check the rollers, replace if flat sided & clean out all the grease & crud. We put back dry & they have been good so far. Might help your disengagement problem.......

Brand new primary. Dealer talked me into it and not the problem....

800tundra

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Dapp, Alberta
Has anyone looked into the DR. Pulley Clutch kits. They can come with different springs etc for tuning?They are for the scooters as their is tons of aftermarket hop up parts for these things on the scooter side.

W
Jan 2, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
Has anyone looked into the DR. Pulley Clutch kits. They can come with different springs etc for tuning?They are for the scooters as their is tons of aftermarket hop up parts for these things on the scooter side.

Yes, I looked into it but it would seem that the stock clutches actually work pretty well with all things considered. That and risky what will actually fit. Let us know if you try something though!

Still no fix for me so going to try greasing the primary today.

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
lots of good info in here...took out the sport again couple days ago before our snow melted and I'd like some more revs on the bottom...lighteneing the weights might be the first thing to try?? Also saw that one guy took a few thou off the bell housing...to me this would make the engine rev more before it engages too....thoughts??

gathering parts for the skoot now..hope to 121 it thru the holidays :face-icon-small-hap

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
If you haven't changed them then I would bet they are the low elevation ones. I changed to the lighter weights since the factory ones had flat spots in them and needed changed anyway. It has a little lag on take off but then it takes off. Not sure what needs changed but I'm sure the weights helped.

Get on one of the scoot parts sites and you can see the difference in the weights and compare with what you have currently.

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
ah yes the rollers...yes they make smaller ones and they will help with the upshift. I just took my scoot clutch apart and you know what with the stock track it worked perfect...and the rollers were almost square!

I'm gonna play with springs in the secondary clutch....next project

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
ok the last couple nights I have been riding in my local park in the dark and here is what I'm finding!! Belt Height is very important...I have been playing with different thickness 5/8 machinery washers which I sand/grind down so the OD works on the clutch, I have tried 0.100 0.800 and 0.045 on both the sport and scoot with great results....especially on take off and outta the hole. the sports tend to bog/dog outta the hole bad and this has made a HUGE diff from what I can tell...if anyone wants to try it on your end do and post back...its like starting in 1st gear now instead of 3rd which really loads the engine and with these big tracks we need bull low 1st!! the higher we can get the belt in the secondary the better...

IMG_5662_zpsf6ef68d7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5663_zpsc8bf1f0b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5670_zpsa75e847c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
U

utah340six

Dec 4, 2008
we also did the same thing with the spacer or washer.
but we removed some area in the back of the clutch.
the guy that helped me his kids race and this is what they did on the mini quades.

Premium Features