• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Etech vs av gas

brodie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
sheridan wyoming
I was told the way the etech injects fuel that av is too dry to run straight. I know people do run straight av gas in them but is there any truth to it? I currently mix race and premium but av is super easy to get and not mixing would be kinda nice.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
SMH... it's so painful to hear the "it's too dry" comment still after thousands of people have probably MILLIONS of miles on it. The sled ALSO injects oil... if this were really a problem... add an ounce of oil to the gas & problem solved, but it's a moronic claim for a 2 stroke application, and has been proven wrong by the countless miles put on by people using AV over & over.

Whoever told you this... just go flick him in the nuts... it's ok, you can tell him I said to do it ;)

btw... not shaking my head at YOU for asking the question, just at people who still spread this moronic rumor.

brodie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
sheridan wyoming
Haha it's ok to laugh at it cause I did to. I've heard a lot of people say they use it but never have researched it. I won't say who told me don't wanna throw anyone under the bus. I'm not a fuel or engine guru just have basic knowledge. so figured I'd pick everyone's brain. Plus I'm laid up with a knee injury after the weekend and bored outta my mind and it's way to quiet on hear
Turns out doing a Google search brings up all the old snowest posts about this topic but snowest search comes up with nothing. Found enough of info to give me a warm fuzzy to try av instead

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Haha it's ok to laugh at it cause I did to. I've heard a lot of people say they use it but never have researched it. I won't say who told me don't wanna throw anyone under the bus. I'm not a fuel or engine guru just have basic knowledge. so figured I'd pick everyone's brain. Plus I'm laid up with a knee injury after the weekend and bored outta my mind and it's way to quiet on hear
Turns out doing a Google search brings up all the old snowest posts about this topic but snowest search comes up with nothing. Found enough of info to give me a warm fuzzy to try av instead
im with BCL, my mind hurts when people say you cant run av.

good stuff, well regulated, smells good. doesn't go bad quickly. amazing $ for the octane.

that being said, dont over octane, hurts bottom end for sure and doesn't do anything but lighten your wallet.

brodie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
sheridan wyoming
Wasnt trying to give people a migraine but definately wanted second opinions. Av gas is just super convenient to run and get ahold of.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Same reason most of us run it... it's consistent, and it's available. I ran 50% av or 25% 112 for years (12-14 psi on 2860 setups), had great luck & similar det threshold with those two mixes. Sometimes the airport was handy when I needed a batch, sometimes I had a good excuse to get to bandimere & buy from the strip.

No need to throw dude under the bus, just a little flick... not a slap or a hit... just a flick is all that's needed ;)

brodie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
sheridan wyoming
Haha ya seems silly to pack race fuel when all my turbo buddies run av and pack drums of it in trailer when we ride. I'll be running av once I burn rest of my race fuel off.

Wyorever

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW, WY
Bringing back an old one here, but I recently ended up with a turbo'd XM.

Are there issues with blending AV/91 pump with ethanol? I'm guessing no.

What about storage issues? AV stores great. Ethanol not so much. Would it be ok to leave the blended fuel in the tank over the summer? Would the AV counteract the ethanol?

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Bringing back an old one here, but I recently ended up with a turbo'd XM.

Are there issues with blending AV/91 pump with ethanol? I'm guessing no.

What about storage issues? AV stores great. Ethanol not so much. Would it be ok to leave the blended fuel in the tank over the summer? Would the AV counteract the ethanol?

Personally I would siphon out all remaining fuel and dump in 2 to 3 gals Avgas, fire it up and let it run through a bit.

Wyorever

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW, WY
Personally I would siphon out all remaining fuel and dump in 2 to 3 gals Avgas, fire it up and let it run through a bit.

I'm not done riding for the year yet!!! Suppose to get more snow this week, but I will do that!

Wyorever

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW, WY
Verdict is in. My Etec hates AV gas. It was pulling timing pretty bad with straight AV. Siphoned it all out, filled up with VP110 and she was happy again.

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
Verdict is in. My Etec hates AV gas. It was pulling timing pretty bad with straight AV. Siphoned it all out, filled up with VP110 and she was happy again.
Interesting I have 2 buddies running T-3's with boondocker Turbo kits at 10 pounds boost on strait Av .What elevation are you riding ? Cheers

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
800 miles on my TEtech on 10 lbs with straight AV, ran perfect the whole time. I'm thinking you may have something other than a timing pull going on...

Wyorever

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW, WY
800 miles on my TEtech on 10 lbs with straight AV, ran perfect the whole time. I'm thinking you may have something other than a timing pull going on...

Any suggestions on where to look?? Sled ran perfect at Bear Lake last weekend on straight 110. It never threw a code as well when it was pulling timing. Running anywhere from 8 to 10 pounds of boost, air to air intercooler, and Tial exhaust. Like I said ran without a hiccup last ride :noidea:.

Backcountrypro

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ok you say it is pulling timing.....do you have a code or is a seat of the pants feel? If this was a low octane problem I would think the first code you would have would be DET. This just a guess. Think, if you changed fuel and it now runs better what has changed in the system? Was your Av gas good? Does one fuel produce more heat in the system then the other?

I run straight 110 in my T-Etec at 6-10 lbs boost. Pump gas and T-Etec just doesn't make sense to me.

Wyorever

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW, WY
Ok you say it is pulling timing.....do you have a code or is a seat of the pants feel? If this was a low octane problem I would think the first code you would have would be DET. This just a guess. Think, if you changed fuel and it now runs better what has changed in the system? Was your Av gas good? Does one fuel produce more heat in the system then the other?

I run straight 110 in my T-Etec at 6-10 lbs boost. Pump gas and T-Etec just doesn't make sense to me.

It was spitting and sputtering down to 6500RPM's, very obviously pulling timing. I've had over rev come across the screen but it never threw a P code.

Maybe I got bad AV, not sure what happened.

brodie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
sheridan wyoming
Fwiw my aero doo was very fuel sensitive this year. Ran 50/50 mix Sunoco 110 half the season and ran very consistent and crisp. Had a buddy pick me up 10 gallons on his way through Casper one day which was claimed to be Sunoco 110 but was blue not purple in color and mixed it 50/50 sled ran very inconsistent. Be crisp one pull and burbled like crazy the next. Switched back to Sunoco 110 (purple) and ran it the remainder of the year 60/40 and sled ripped super crisp. So I have no idea if the blue fuel was turbo blue or Sunoco 112 or possibly av gas but sled hated it to say the least. Definitely wasn't good fuel. I guess I should've compared straight av gas to what I have but never did unfortunately.

Premium Features