• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowbike Setup Ignorance

Snowman269

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2010
CO, MN, MI
I sure feel like it's the Blind leading the Blind when it comes to Snowbikes. :juggle:

With every other sport, Dirtbikes, Streetbikes, Diesel trucks, Snowmobiles, you name it. The Internet is your friend to find information, specs, accessories, mods.

I thought back in 2014 when I bought my Timbersled, it wouldn't take much longer for enough people to jump on board we'd have this sport dialed in.

Other than Raze Motorsports, who else has got it together?

Also, Can we get a Sticky with a page on Popular Mods, and/or a directory on who is the goto for setting up forks, Engine Blankets, Handlebar Gauntlets, etc?

Thanks

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
Pretty much all the info is buried on old posts way back on here, every time I see a new post about an air filter I just shake my head. Good luck getting a sticky or any kind of organization on this forum it's turned into a complete joke. I won't be renewing my premium membership when it's up. I hear the timbersled mountain horse snowbikers Facebook page is really good. Btw the search feature does work but it's always easier to just say "new thread"

B
Pretty much all the info is buried on old posts way back on here, every time I see a new post about an air filter I just shake my head. Good luck getting a sticky or any kind of organization on this forum it's turned into a complete joke. I won't be renewing my premium membership when it's up. I hear the timbersled mountain horse snowbikers Facebook page is really good. Btw the search feature does work but it's always easier to just say "new thread"

Ha, I'm one of the ones asking the questions as we simply just don't know.

This forum has been my go-to for all that I need to know for how to spend my $$$ on getting my bike setup and I totally appreciate all the help.

It sure would be nice if all the most common questions could be stickied so we would not need to ask but at the same time, if no one posted up new questions, or even the same ones over and over again, there would be hardly anything to look at whenever we visited the best and only snowbike forum I look to for posts.

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
Ha, I'm one of the ones asking the questions as we simply just don't know.

This forum has been my go-to for all that I need to know for how to spend my $$$ on getting my bike setup and I totally appreciate all the help.

It sure would be nice if all the most common questions could be stickied so we would not need to ask but at the same time, if no one posted up new questions, or even the same ones over and over again, there would be hardly anything to look at whenever we visited the best and only snowbike forum I look to for posts.

I understand, it's not the new guys getting into the sport fault, it's just frustrating knowing all the info is there and the same stuff gets asked every year over and over. Welcome and good luck with your bike

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
If your looking for the easy button Call Toby At RMX and have him build a bike for you. I personally found all the info I needed rather easy right here.

B
I understand, it's not the new guys getting into the sport fault, it's just frustrating knowing all the info is there and the same stuff gets asked every year over and over. Welcome and good luck with your bike

In a way, what exactly are you looking for when you come onto the site?/forum?

Is someone or something compelling you to click on every thread and have to read every post like this is some sort of Online College you have paid for? It is like me, the new guy, to come back at you and say that you are whining and crying about people posting, what makes you any different?, nothing, nothing at all. The "I'm taking my ball and going home . . . " is the same sort of suicide letter on every internet forum where one chooses to come and go as one pleases. You just feel like you want to control the input and who can talk and who can't. Real nice. Like people are going to bend to your will because you have threatened us with leaving.

I just simply ignore posts if I don't have much to say about them or if it won't help anything. It is that easy.

Guys like me, in time, will get experience and keep the sport going. It just takes time.

Last edited:
D
Mar 29, 2010
Yup, everything ya need to know to build any bike is on this site. I found searching the archives better to find a specific answer, but there's no pics. Back when I built my first bike, I think I read every thread on this forum. The timbersled Facebook group has become a good resource as well.

B
Yup, everything ya need to know to build any bike is on this site. I found searching the archives better to find a specific answer, but there's no pics. Back when I built my first bike, I think I read every thread on this forum. The timbersled Facebook group has become a good resource as well.

I'm the same way with all the forum's I've ever been a part of. This is the first and might be the only snowbike forum I'll ever be on as there are many on here with the DTS 129 that has only been out since what?, last year?

This place has been awesome so far.

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
In a way, what exactly are you looking for when you come onto the site?/forum?

Is someone or something compelling you to click on every thread and have to read every post like this is some sort of Online College you have paid for? It is like me, the new guy, to come back at you and say that you are whining and crying about people posting, what makes you any different?, nothing, nothing at all. The "I'm taking my ball and going home . . . " is the same sort of suicide letter on every internet forum where one chooses to come and go as one pleases. You just feel like you want to control the input and who can talk and who can't. Real nice. Like people are going to bend to your will because you have threatened us with leaving.

I just simply ignore posts if I don't have much to say about them or if it won't help anything. It is that easy.

Guys like me, in time, will get experience and keep the sport going. It just takes time.

im a snowbike addict, thats why I read every thread. not trying to control anyone, its just a shame there is no organization to the site, nice psychoanalysis! next air filter thread I see ill do my best not to click on it! I rarely post, I read and research a lot

Last edited:
R
Apr 18, 2016
I set a Timbersled up last year without ever riding one and pretty much nailed it and had near zero problems with my set up. I ride in the Sierras that have interesting snow conditions known as the Sierra Cement. I ride a carbed 2 stroke that some say is hard to get to work right and then to top it all off I hit the scales around 270lbs or so depending on winter cheeseburger intake.

I have been on dirtbikes for years and know what works for me there, from that the snowbike isn't that big of a deal. The forks need to be stiffened and valved, the guys who have it dialed and charge for the service are reluctant to show you their valve stack set up but if you learn a little about suspension theory it's not that hard to build your own stack and then it's all spring rate...calc what works for others and their weight...put that at like race tech calculater and figure the difference as a ratio of snow to dirt...then use that ratio times your weight, should get you in the ball park. They need to be stiff, forks done.

Airbox gets beat to death...open it up, run a skin, make it so you can dig snow out of there when you tumble in the pow...done.

Carb...you probably need heat, get it.

The rest is creature comforts and gear, it is all on this forum or one specific to your bike, I feel like I know enough about KTM and YZ I could build one of those. I think this forum is great, all I need.

S

s.back

Jan 29, 2017
rohnert park, ca.
I set a Timbersled up last year without ever riding one and pretty much nailed it and had near zero problems with my set up. I ride in the Sierras that have interesting snow conditions known as the Sierra Cement. I ride a carbed 2 stroke that some say is hard to get to work right and then to top it all off I hit the scales around 270lbs or so depending on winter cheeseburger intake.

I have been on dirtbikes for years and know what works for me there, from that the snowbike isn't that big of a deal. The forks need to be stiffened and valved, the guys who have it dialed and charge for the service are reluctant to show you their valve stack set up but if you learn a little about suspension theory it's not that hard to build your own stack and then it's all spring rate...calc what works for others and their weight...put that at like race tech calculater and figure the difference as a ratio of snow to dirt...then use that ratio times your weight, should get you in the ball park. They need to be stiff, forks done.

Airbox gets beat to death...open it up, run a skin, make it so you can dig snow out of there when you tumble in the pow...done.

Carb...you probably need heat, get it.

The rest is creature comforts and gear, it is all on this forum or one specific to your bike, I feel like I know enough about KTM and YZ I could build one of those. I think this forum is great, all I need.
rhino sent you a pm..

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Click search, then underneath click advanced search. Go to where it says forums and scroll down until you find snowbikes (under yamaha)
And click it. Then scroll back up to the top and click on “all open forums” to remove it. You only want to be searching in snowbikes.
Type in your key words.

Premium Features