• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M 1100 Turbo : Intercooler fan?

type_a_positive

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Mongo Norway
With the ralatively slow air speed over the intercooler when climbing, would it be benificial to put a fan on it? How many watts can the electrical system deliver? Is there space for a fan?

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Yes it is beneficial. Ran one most of last year with great results.

We can get you hooked up with one if you would like.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
type-a, I did all the EVO testing on the intercooler fan last year. We had digital aircraft thermal gauges with probes mounted in the charge tube between the turbo and intercooler and after the intercooler. Had a switch mounted for the fan to turn it on and off. Monitored the intake air temps with the fan on and off. We noticed a number of benefits with the fan.
1- Air intake temps during slow, tree riding boondocking were reduced 40 degrees. 180 degrees instead of 220ish.
2- On a long climb it takes a lot longer for intake air temps to reach the maximum. Max air temps were low 300's.
3- When coming down off a climb the intake air temps cooled down significantly faster with the fan on. Usually back to 120-130 which is the lowest we saw when the engine/turbo were warmed up.
4- The fan blows over 400CFM constantly. This greatly decreased under hood temps. IMO, the fan does way more than extra venting.

So, yes, the fan is worth it. We have EVO fans in stock.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
type-a, I did all the EVO testing on the intercooler fan last year. We had digital aircraft thermal gauges with probes mounted in the charge tube between the turbo and intercooler and after the intercooler. Had a switch mounted for the fan to turn it on and off. Monitored the intake air temps with the fan on and off. We noticed a number of benefits with the fan.
1- Air intake temps during slow, tree riding boondocking were reduced 40 degrees. 180 degrees instead of 220ish.
2- On a long climb it takes a lot longer for intake air temps to reach the maximum. Max air temps were low 300's.
3- When coming down off a climb the intake air temps cooled down significantly faster with the fan on. Usually back to 120-130 which is the lowest we saw when the engine/turbo were warmed up.
4- The fan blows over 400CFM constantly. This greatly decreased under hood temps. IMO, the fan does way more than extra venting.

So, yes, the fan is worth it. We have EVO fans in stock.

Did you by chance have a probe before the intercooler? I am interested in what the actual effiency is of the stock intercooler. The numbers above are great though! I have no doubt that 40 degrees cooler boondocking will make a world of difference. I know I sure noticed the heat soak last year without the fan.

charlie99

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SL
Also did intake temps come down with the big chute/super chute kits Because the turbo is more efficient.

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
Don't forget to blanket your turbo and header you don't want all that air getting heated up before it goes into the clutch and the engine bay!

Premium Features