• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 800 RMK 144. Needs some accessories. What to do?

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)
J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
i would definately reccomend the fire n ice vents over slp's... much more bang your buck, better built, better looking and larger surface area vents. check the link in my sig below
here are some pics of the vents i'm putting on my sled this year
hi-flow stirrup vents

side intake vents

windsheild intake vents

hi-flow shock tower vents

headlight intake kit

as you can see Paul can and will take care of all your venting needs

Last edited:

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
I have found on hand guards that you are better off with the polaris hand guards on a polaris. they are made for the polaris handlebars. I have bought aftermarket ones and did not like them at all when I tried to put them on my 09 dragon. I have not tried the skinz ones but I am assuming they probably use the same mts as the other aftermarket hand guards. the skid plates IMO are worthless, the polaris one does not protect enough and the skinz float plate fits like crap w/o major cutting so I would not waste my money on either one.

S
Aug 22, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I have found on hand guards that you are better off with the polaris hand guards on a polaris. they are made for the polaris handlebars. I have bought aftermarket ones and did not like them at all when I tried to put them on my 09 dragon. I have not tried the skinz ones but I am assuming they probably use the same mts as the other aftermarket hand guards. the skid plates IMO are worthless, the polaris one does not protect enough and the skinz float plate fits like crap w/o major cutting so I would not waste my money on either one.

I have a set of Polaris ones from my Switchback. They fit great, but they don't really do anything. The Skinz are not plastic, they're made out of wetsuit material or something. They just attach with nylon straps. They're supposed to be warm, which is what I need when I'm riding in the praires. In the hills, I take them off.

MOWER800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Layton Utah
skinz hand guards

I have a set and they are very nice to get to the hills and take off when you want

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Everyone knows what I am going to suggest!:D www.snowmobilebetterboards.com
If you ride in deep snow at all you'll love em especially on that sled! We make a set PN#0064 (and get B which designates coated as they work the best) that is a perfect match for that chassis..factory glove like fit. (even available in blue...which would look sweet!)

Now first thing I'd do is buy a dash panel vent from 2COOL. Then go to Holz Racing products and buy their shock tower vents BOTH SIDES. I prefer these to any of the other kinds because they are a die cut all metal vent that actually allows free air flow and maintains an excellent shape and appearance. If you prefer metal and fabric vents 2 cool makes them and they work great! Side panel vents are personal preference. I run them on some of my sleds and don't on others. Quality clutch setups help reduce heat and so that add on has not been needed but if you do experience some belt heat and performance loss and can't find a clutch setup that will fix it then panel vents will definately help. Once again 2 cool is great for those. There has been alot of heat testing done and you will be shocked at the temps that are seen on different areas of your hood compartment. Venting definately works!

On the hand guards the skinz deals while looking kind of goofy are a pretty sound idea. I run acerbis and powermadd and they work great for keeping your hands warm on the trail ride to the goods they do break off alot. the best way to get unstuck on a hill is to set your park brake and roll your sled over. You easily get out by yourself and don't need help or risk a slide with the added weight of a helper or two so it is the preferred method but it also will break off your hand guards sometimes. (it's just a bolt so it's a cheap fix but irritating) Hand guards or wind blockers are critical for me because I ride with thin performance gloves for maximum control.

The other cheap mod you can do to enhance your sled is buy the woody's 6" carbide wear bars and replace your factory 4". It costs about $60 and is a HUGE plus for trails and all around ski control. The factory gripper skis are great and that just makes them a better all around performer for cheap.

So there is a good start...vents, Better Boards, ski mod, and hand guard info...next a good clutch kit (Carl's Performance), maybe the tried and true SLP single package (Carl's Performance), then the final thing I'd do is replace the stock rear shocks with Fox zero pro (Carl's Performance) until you are ready to really graduate up to the high dollar stuff.

Another performance mod that you can think about is your track. The 2 x 144 series 4 is a bit wanting. You can enhance it by nipping the nubs and inserting screws deep into the lugs and that stiffens the durometer for much better hook up. I've done many and they were all significantly better after the work. The problem here is that they were all net 2.1" in paddle and you'll end up with about 1.75". It will be far superior on the trail and setup up snow but I don't know if you'll have a bad sacrefice in the deep snow. My trimmed tracks all net 2.1" and have ZERO loss of performance in any condition but I have not tested a 1.75. Now I do know 100% fact that if you want a superior all around track the Challenger Extreme in 144 cut down and screwed is awesome on that vehicle (but that is more mulla). Lots to think about...SUPER SWEET SLED you bought! Enjoy

Premium Features