• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 Axis with BD Turbo

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Probably don't need its own thread but WTH its kinda boring in the turbo section. Man the HO motor seems to scream out of the hole, this vid and Boost-it vid these motors sound like they come on so hard and spool so fast!

BD says this sled is "slightly ported" (whatever that means) by Carl's Cycle... Boost-it claims thier stock HO Axis is the fastest spooling two stroke they have ever ridden.

Anyone else excited about boosting this new motor? Wonder how the top end power is compared to old motor. Question for you two stroke guys, sounds like because of the new crank there is more volume in the crank case? Is that better for top end power then, or does it not matter?

https://www.facebook.com/boondockerperformance
Don't know how to post just vid so link is to FB with vid (The #112 of Justin Thomas is ready for X games battle!!)

Boost-it vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0kz0GTC1ck&feature=youtu.be

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I thought they posted earlier the Justin Thomas sled was a 600??? Maybe its a different sled that they have been showing pics of. All murdered out Axis.

Also you need to remember that BD sled has a race tune in it, that will probably never be in consumer sleds. They are pushing reliability. Race tune or not, they still boogey.

Last edited:
B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Crankcase volume is a huge deal for making power. It's the reason the Cat and Doo make more power with the same boost compared to the current Poo motor. When you are sucking in the air fuel mix, the more case volume you have, the more charge mix can be brought in. More fuel, more power.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
I thought they posted earlier the Justin Thomas sled was a 600??? Maybe its a different sled that they have been showing pics of. All murdered out Axis.

Also you need to remember that BD sled has a race tune in it, that will probably never be in consumer sleds. They are pushing reliability. Race tune or not, they still boogey.

Don't know how much I buy into that, I mean how much of a race tune can it be and how much are they actually gaining? At 10-12psi we're already pushing reliability pretty good, these aren't 300ft drag sleds wit a 5 sec throttle stab, some the hills they run are pretty long and have the throttle pinned 90 percent of the time. Get your sled tuned by the right guy I don't think it's gonna be to far off IMO

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
You would be amazed the changes that can be made and run on the way ragged edge of reliability. 10-12 lbs is nothing. On race fuel I can run enough compression to blow the heads off a Powerstroke. Pump gas makes nice bottom end, you should see the affects of properly utilized 110.

Timing, compression, fueling, different turbos, wheels, ported turbo's....... There is a ton of things you don't see in typical consumer kits.

You think your Vohk sled gets the same tune as Burandt's?

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
10-12psi is nothing on a motor that can't stay together stock from factory?

Burandts mountain sled? I am sure Erik spends more time on his sled and there prolly always trying different setups but how much more can you TUNE (no mechanical extras) a sled on the ragged edge that has to go into the backcountry everyday?

I am sure there is more to be gained but a tuner with same capabilities tuning the same control box how much more are you actually gonna squeeze out of a stock internal boosted two stroke that still has to be somewhat reliable? 10hp?

Your opinion the HO motor isn't that special, it's more the "race tuning"? Serious question not being smart@ss

E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
Having 3 sleds built by Erik in the past 2 years, I can assure that he spends countless hours on getting his personal sled dial in and passes that onto the end customer.

If you compare apples to apples in the BD Box it all depends all the kit and sled. I have the same BD setup as Erik and Chris and the only difference is the intake setup, which may have some affect on the box.

Erik and Chris are also running light weight cranks. So I don't think there is a magical "race tune" that gives them the upper hand, just different setups.

Either way Erik makes sure they rip day to day

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Meh who cares about the magical Race Tune pixie dust... Back on topic, Is no one else excited, or heard any reports on how the HO motor responds to boost??

Last edited:
Premium Features