• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 Subaru Forester vs 1988 Ford F-250?

F
Oct 27, 2017
Northern Utah
Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I have the time and money this year to join the sport and am very excited for the snow to fall!

What would you recommend for towing? I can choose between a 2009 Subaru Forester and a 1988 Ford F-250.

The Forester would get a transmission cooler, snow tires, and (obviously) a trailer hitch install. It's got 120k miles on it and is already where I live. The F-250 is old, but has low miles as it's only been used for trips. I co-own it, but the other owner only uses it in summer to tow a fishing boat. I'd get snow tires for it, but otherwise wouldn't do any mods aside from those necessary to keep a 30 year old truck alive. It's about 800 miles away currently, so it'd be a road trip to get it here. It's only got 2WD.

I'll (probably) only be towing 1 sled for right now.

Thoughts on 2009 Forester vs 1988 F-250?

Thanks!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I'm a ford guy.
I've owned fords from the late 80's.
I would go with the Subaru. The truck is 2wd i wouldn't do it.

Mountain Cat

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
You could put the sled in the back of the 250 and with good ice/snow tires the traction would be pretty good. With studded snow tires, even better. Carry a set of tire chains for backup. On the other hand, if this vehicle also has to serve as a daily driver, the subaru may be a better choice assuming it is awd.

F
Oct 27, 2017
Northern Utah
Thanks! The Forester is the daily driver. The truck just goes on a few trips/year and otherwise sits in storage.

I like the idea of putting the sled in the truck bed. That might simplify things.

Thanks for the feedback. Anybody else got comments?

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
800 miles is a long way to go.

unless you have another reason to go there i would keep the forester.

even with studded tires and a sled in the back of the f250 the subaru will still be better in the snow than the truck.

and loading a sled in and out of a truck is a PIA.

get a cheap littler 2 place trailer and you wont even feel it behind the forester.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Do you have buddies near by that you’ll be riding with and could bum a ride? The first year riding is expensive and you might be better off putting your money towards avalanche gear rather than a tow rig if you can bum rides and pitch in on gas.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Sell both and pick up a 2003 or newer 4Runner....then you have something with the interior space (more of) than the Subie, and 4wd/awd...plus tows a small trailer very well, and will be in between those 2 for fuel economy. Since you have to spend money to get the Subie ready anyways....with that money plus the sale of the other 2, you should be there, and it won't need any mods to tow. Just a thought.

F
Oct 27, 2017
Northern Utah
Hmmm, the truck is co-owned so I can't sell it without the other owner's permission.

I have all my avalanche gear already from backcountry skiing. I am planning to do both riding, and some rides just to access more skiing terrain, as my riding skills improve.

I'm joining several clubs and would love to hitch rides as much as possible, regardless of rig. I think it just makes more sense and leads to a much more pleasant drive.

Premium Features