• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

12 duramax denali vs f 350 powerstoke 6.7

B
Sep 19, 2010
Utah/South Dakota
I'm still wait for you to answer my question on how GM is copying the ecoboost. You've yet to answer that claim.

You sidestepped that bit about GM taking a bailout and a sentence later talking about cummins. How is that acceptable? #hypocrite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uh really? I don't support a bailout of any kind. The point that you miss is if your product is so good, then you should not be in a position to need bailed out! Fiat obviously saw the value in Chrysler and had the capitol to buy it. The crap has been cut and innovations being made, unlike GM just doing the same old ****! Chrysler was gutted by Diamler, GM was just producing ****!

And per your request as you are to stupid to search yourself!

From PickUpTrucks.com

Ford vs. GM: Twin-Turbo Showdown

Posted by Mark Williams | March 23, 2013

It's no coincidence GM has just come out with its own all-aluminum twin-turbo V-6; after all, Ford's EcoBoost engine is the best-selling power plant choice in the half-ton class, and it makes good business sense for GM to spread the costs of engine development over the widest possible product plan rollout.

That's why we'll see the new powertrain and transmission in Cadillac first, then maybe in the Camaro or a smaller Corvette after that, then on down the food chain. But make no mistake; this engine will be dropped into the new full-size GM platform.

In the same way the engine first is put to work in a Cadillac, we fully expect the first pickup truck to grab the premium V-6 to be the GMC Sierra, possibly a new Sierra Denali 1500. Although we've heard no official confirmation from GM, there are several reasons why this is a no-brainer.

First, turbos do wonderful things for torque curves. A normally aspirated V-8 typically reaches its torque peak somewhere around 4,000 rpm, with a slow ramp up and a very fast drop off. The EcoBoost and the new GM engine behave much differently, thanks in large part to high-pressure direct injection and two small exhaust turbochargers. From our experience with the EcoBoost, we've seen as much as 90 percent of the engine's available torque start at 1,700 rpm and last clean through 5,000 rpm.

Even the test data GM provided in its Cadillac CTS press release noted the new 3.6-liter motor would have a relatively flat (we'll assume at least 90 percent) torque curve from 2,500 rpm to 5,500 rpm. For towing performance in particular, it is a huge advantage to have that much of the available torque accessible in a lower and wider range of engine speeds. Not surprisingly, those characteristics are more in line with big-hauling, heavy-duty turbo-diesel engines like the Cummins, Power Stroke and Duramax.

Additionally, when not towing or in a heavy-hauling situation, and when feather footing the truck around town empty, the engine will behave like a basic V-6 engine, weighing quite a bit less than a comparable V-8 and providing much better around town and highway fuel economy.

Although the only fuel estimates (17/25 mpg city/highway) GM provided in the press release relies on factors that include a smaller, lighter car sedan platform, we're guessing it won't drop by much when tested inside a Silverado, which some insiders have told us could offer several lightweight platform packages. It's also possible GM will put this new Silverado twin-turbo V-6 through EPA testing procedures with regular fuel (although Cadillac specs show premium fuel will be required) and take the initial hit in power output and possibly fuel economy in order to be able to say the mainstream Silverado will run on regular fuel, just like Ford's EcoBoost. We should note Ford tells us that its power outputs improve slightly, measuring 385 horsepower and 430 pounds-feet of torque when using premium fuel, instead of the regular fuel the owner's manual recommends.

What will all this mean in a Silverado? We'd like to think the new technology means better choices for truck customers, giving them more capability with fewer tradeoffs. Technology updates such as this — powertrains that let us have our cake and eat it too — are always hugely appreciated.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
GM is not putting that twin turbo 3.6 in a truck. Their truck motors are selected. No turbo. That turbo motor is for Cadillac and maybe a Buick GNX (do your research youngster)

You keep beating around the bush with Chrysler taking that bailout.

And it's not like GM was the first company to file bankruptcy.

B
Sep 19, 2010
Utah/South Dakota
GM is not putting that twin turbo 3.6 in a truck. Their truck motors are selected. No turbo. That turbo motor is for Cadillac and maybe a Buick GNX (do your research youngster)

You keep beating around the bush with Chrysler taking that bailout.

And it's not like GM was the first company to file bankruptcy.

You can lead a horse to water but............
Just to show you that I really am a nice guy, why don't you head west so I can show you riding areas where your cell phone WON'T work?

Ford428CJ

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
Klamath Falls, Oregon
What system do they use to communicate to the truck? Does your truck need a phone line in it? Onstar is obviously satellite based.

Curios how they get a signal to a truck.

Here you go! Cool as hell.... They had this out for some time but as the years go by, it keeps getting better! Who said you needed OnStar!? LOL

http://www.viper.com/SmartStart/

Ford428CJ

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
Klamath Falls, Oregon
As for building your own diesel they did that with the 6.0
It was designed by international but then ford built it. I've hear the international version of the 6.0 flat out runs but the problem is ford using their ecu management screwed everything up. The only real benefit In my opinion is that it is more profitable for ford. I have no issue with a manufacture subbing out a motor or transmission like GM does. Let the people who know diesel motors(Isuzu) or transmissions (Alison) do their thing.

Ford did not build the 6.0. The story goes like this:

http://www.internationalpowerstroke.com/6.0L-powerstroke-history.html

Read up on the 6.0 Vs VT365. The VT365 is the medium duty and dont fall under the same guide lines as the light duty stuff. They dont have the emission standards as the light duty line does! So it makes since why they dont have the problems with the VT365.....

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Here you go! Cool as hell.... They had this out for some time but as the years go by, it keeps getting better! Who said you needed OnStar!? LOL

http://www.viper.com/SmartStart/

That's a neat system if you don't have Onstar, Onstar in my opinion is superior for the following reasons:
-Sends you an email when you need maintenance, an oil change or if you have a CEL or any code. Once a month it scans your entire vehicle, lets you know if there is an issue. (take care of an issue early, it doesn't turn into a larger one, most people would do maintenance if they knew they needed to do it)
-Start from anywhere (we've discussed this), lock, unlock, honk horn etc
-Crash response, if you're in an accident it alert authorities of your location, responsiveness, etc. Think if your wife or kids are in an accident and unresponsive, it will automatically send help.
-Roadside assistance. Flat tire? Out of fuel? Push the button, help shows up. Sure you'll change your tire, but do you really want your wife on the side of an interstate changing a tire with vehicles going by at 85 MPH?
-Roadside assistance included incidentals: Blow out a tire while on vacation, the local shop doesn't have that tire to replace it? Onstar will pay for your hotel room, and for food while you wait for a tire to arrive.
-Have kids in high school? Onstart will automatically text you if your kid leaves school in the middle of the day. Want to know where you kid is? Onstar will allow you to find that out.
-Car stolen? Onstar locates the vehicle and limits the speed to like 4 MPH (used to turn vehicle off but the thief would crash the cars when they lost power brakes and steering)
-The phone system: works almost everywhere. I drove up poudre Canyon here in Colorado, full service. Drove all across Wyoming on I-80, cell phone wouldn't have a signal for 45 minutes at 85 MPH and Onstar worked every time.
-Disaster relief. In an area that has a tornado, hurricane, winter storm that knocks out power, phone lines, etc? Onstar will tell you where you can get fuel, use it as a method to get in touch with family to arrange a meetup place, they can tell you where a disaster relief center is, always works because it is satellite based. Even if every phone line or cell tower gets wiped out, you can still call onstar.

Yeah, I just went full salesman on you there, but there is not another system that does everything Onstar does. It also reduces your insurance premium.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Ford did not build the 6.0. The story goes like this:

http://www.internationalpowerstroke.com/6.0L-powerstroke-history.html

Read up on the 6.0 Vs VT365. The VT365 is the medium duty and dont fall under the same guide lines as the light duty stuff. They dont have the emission standards as the light duty line does! So it makes since why they dont have the problems with the VT365.....

Good info there, but I was under the assumption that International designed that motor and then Ford used their computer controller on it. The computer/ECU working were the real problems with that motor. Just what I heard...

Ford428CJ

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Good info there, but I was under the assumption that International designed that motor and then Ford used their computer controller on it. The computer/ECU working were the real problems with that motor. Just what I heard...

The big problems where head gaskets and EGR coolers (04.5~08 on the coolers). The coolers do lead to head gasket issues. Some injector issues. Those where the big ones that about killed Ford.

Lot of that is curable and Ford recalled for the head gaskets. I own a early 6.0 (2003) and love it... But I'm also sick in the head LOL.

Ford428CJ

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
Klamath Falls, Oregon
That's a neat system if you don't have Onstar
Yeah, I just went full salesman on you there, but there is not another system that does everything Onstar does. It also reduces your insurance premium.

If you dont have one... The Viper is the next best thing to have. It too does some stuff that OnStar doesnt do.

-Vehicle Location and Speed
Press a button in the app and receive your vehicle's current location – plus it's speed if it's moving.

-Lockdown Alert
Secure your vehicle with a Lockdown Alert and receive notification if your vehicle leaves that spot.

-Speed Alert
With Speed Alert, request one-time notification when your vehicle exceeds your specified setting.

-Social Media Check-In
Tell your Facebook friends where you're parked. Because your car needs friends, too!

-SmartFence
Create a secure fence around your vehicle and be alerted when your vehicle leaves the area.

-HotSpot
Add virtual zones at selected locations and be alerted if your vehicle enters them.

-Curfew
Restricts the speed alert and movement settings to one programmable time frame.

-Parking Meter

Too many parking tickets because you forgot to refill the parking meter? Need help remembering when it's time to put in more coins? Don't worry, the Viper SmartStart app will remember for you!

Simply set the Parking Meter in the Viper SmartStart app when you fill the real life parking meter. The app will keep track of how much time you have remaining on your meter and will let you know when it's time to go refill.

The Parking Meter feature will also show you a timestamp, and how long its been, since you last pressed the lock button in the app.

-SmartPark

SmartPark notes a vehicle's location every time you press the door lock button from the Car Control screen, or the Park My Car button from the SmartPark screen.

To return to the stored location, you simply press the Find My Car button from the SmartPark screen and retrieve the location, accessing any additional accompanying photo or note reminder that the you may have stored. SmartPark shows a map with directions back to the car's location.

While returning to your car, make use of SmartPark's SnakeEyes feature - just hold up your phone and a virtual view of your car keeps you pointed in the right direction.

-Viper Motor Club

Locked out? Dead battery? Need a tow? Viper SmartStart's got your back. Free 24/7/365 roadside assistance now comes with Viper SmartStart. Customers in a bind can access the Viper Motor Club with just the push of a button in the Viper SmartStart app.

Viper Motor Club is included with all SmartStart Secure service plans. That's a $79/year value included at no additional charge!

Registration is simple - just enroll in the Viper Motor Club while purchasing a service plan.

Yeah, I just educated a salesmen on other products to include a 6.0L Ford LOL Its all good!

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I liked this part:

-Social Media Check-In
Tell your Facebook friends where you're parked. Because your car needs friends, too!

AKA, alert "friends" that where your vehicle is so they can steal it! Haha it's almost as good as advertising on Facebook that you are on vacation, so everyone knows that your house is empty.

The Onstar App does all the parking stuff, alerts you that your meter will expire, location, etc.

You can also go into your address book on your phone and send that address to your vehicle. If you have navigation it will enter that into your navigation unit automatically and tell you how to get there. If you have a non-navigation unit the Onstar unit will give you audible turn by turn (real time/live) directions on how to get to your destination. So it is a cheap way to add navigation to your vehicle. You don't get a visual map, but it tells you how to get to where you're going. You can push the button, talk with a live person. Road closed down? They will automatically re-route you. Need a hotel, they can call and make you a reservation, give you directions, etc. They are a live person concierge service. You can be sitting at a restaurant waiting for your wife, she doesn't know how to get there, get on your phone, hit current location, and then send that to your vehicle through onstar and it will automatically give your wife directions on how to get to your location so you can enjoy dinner.

Enough with that.... Either way it's a cool service. I'd think the 6.0 guys would really like the roadside assistance. :)

Ford428CJ

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Enough with that.... Either way it's a cool service. I'd think the 6.0 guys would really like the roadside assistance. :)

Technology is cool. Thats for sure! When you got good friends, thats all I need for roadside assistance....:face-icon-small-coo

As for the Duramax and Fords 6.7... Thats a personal choice in what you want for a rig! I know quite a few guys that use both for work and work only! I havent heard anything bad as of yet (Ford wise). I know guys who have 100,000 miles on them.

Either way... Its your personal choice on that!

B
Sep 19, 2010
Utah/South Dakota
I liked this part:

AKA, alert "friends" that where your vehicle is so they can steal it! Haha it's almost as good as advertising on Facebook that you are on vacation, so everyone knows that your house is empty.

The Onstar App does all the parking stuff, alerts you that your meter will expire, location, etc.

You can also go into your address book on your phone and send that address to your vehicle. If you have navigation it will enter that into your navigation unit automatically and tell you how to get there. If you have a non-navigation unit the Onstar unit will give you audible turn by turn (real time/live) directions on how to get to your destination. So it is a cheap way to add navigation to your vehicle. You don't get a visual map, but it tells you how to get to where you're going. You can push the button, talk with a live person. Road closed down? They will automatically re-route you. Need a hotel, they can call and make you a reservation, give you directions, etc. They are a live person concierge service. You can be sitting at a restaurant waiting for your wife, she doesn't know how to get there, get on your phone, hit current location, and then send that to your vehicle through onstar and it will automatically give your wife directions on how to get to your location so you can enjoy dinner.

Which is sad because Fords sync touch system has been out since 09? On star has been around for how many years, and they just now figured out that they can do this? Should have been standard 3 years ago!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I don't know if its still available but onstar was available to purchase independently and install in any vehicle.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Sync doesn't do any if that. They have a ford connect type deal that I uses your cell phone to communicate. If you're in an area that your phone doesn't work, you're out if luck.

Also the ford sync system was voted on by industry experts as the worst and most confusing system available. It's getting better but still troublesome.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I don't know if its still available but onstar was available to purchase independently and install in any vehicle.

It is available for almost any vehicle but you don't get all the features I just told you about. You basically get the phone system and crash alert, if you are in an accident it will call out for you.

Premium Features