• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

STANDALONE ECU PLUG N PLAY DIRECT FACTORY REPLACEMENT 800CC POLARIS ENGINE

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
The only issue I have with standalone is need one to run secondary injectors. Running yamahas going bigger injectors to run standalones the bottom end is never great.

I agree poor tuneing, i feel for you also i run a turbocharged car with big injectors and for a while i wouldnt see boost until 4krpms pulled like sob to 8500 once i got a good tune in it spooled at 35-3700 pulled even harder just like everything does with a good mixture. I know of a couple of 500 dollar cars running bugatti veyron injectors they have massive flow but have better control then small injectors maybe something for you yami guys to look at.

B

boosted1

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
No doubt I had a MPI supercharger on my Apex, the boxes were BRUTAL, needed another in your back pack, however they must have changed the Attitude boxes as of the last few years, currently running on my third year on my stage 3 cutler kit for the 2009 M8, runs perfect, best setup I have ever owned, pull the cord and go at 12lbs all day long.

You nailed it! We're all skeptical about an unproven product. But would be really cool if it worked.......

I can't believe guy's still run that dobeck/attitude box! Unless they've improved a bunch from my Yami day's, you need to pack at least one spare in your back pack!

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
LOL...better yet why don't you give me one and i'll mess with it for you.
After running my buisness for 25 years, selling it,moving up here retired the last thing I want to do it is mess with motors.
don't want to be disrespectfull, but what is the point to come on here and laydown your ideas if you don't want to help the sledder community?? after 25 years, you may have saved 1995$, no???
If I was going to do this I would call Phil Royds and get a system to mess with and then sell it.
LOL......Philip would send you back to me!!!we have the worldwide distribution on this one!! on top of that, Vi-pec is a world known company and not jerking around their dealers or exclusive distributors.
But in all seroiusness, You have a good idea using a known system.
we are a distributor for vi-pec for 7 years now and we know the software is spot on and most of the time trouble free....that is why we are working with the guys in NZ.
Problem you will face is that even tho the price of 1700.00 is dirt cheap from vipec for there system,and is in fact a great bargin,
I agree with you 100%
we are dealing with a very, very limited market is the turbo sled world. First off how many actual kits would you sell ?
Not realy interested in selling turbo kits.....interested in selling ECU!!
Well figure there are around 400 or so turbo kits sold a year, if that, to 2 stroke sledders, probably 75% of those are more than happy with the system that comes in the kit, as they do in fact work quite well when installed and set up right.
this statement From a guy with 25 years in the businness is quite amazing!! what ever motor you have put together(e.f.i.) you are telling me you have dumped boost in and didn't adjust timing?didn't manage extra injectors(mixture map) ect...all the stuff you can't do with a fuel box....it is anti mechanic to dump boost without playing around with timing, ask EVERY tuner you know everyone will tell you same story.....also there is a big difference in the "running good" expression between you and me i guess.I don't know one single fuel box permitting you running the sled half throttle at 3 lbs boost without melting down your motor in less than 50 seconds. evryone is not climbing chutes WOT then go down the hill then go back doing so all day......there is no other solution than a standalone for guys that want to RIDE all day without having to play back and forth with throttle all day long watchibg their egts and afr gauge..... there is way more people boondocking,going to their camp,racing lakes and sledding on groom trails then people climbing chutes all day long.
So we are now down to maybe 100 a year.
i think you should let me handle my business plan and not care about it!! we have already sold 69 ECU and the racing world is not even aware the ECU is out there so aren't the polaris dealers. the major sales will come from power packages (ported cylinders,bigger throttle,high compression head and a tuned pipe) and 35-40 hp safely.
Second problem is that a sled is a disposible item, you ride hard and its pretty much shot after 2 seasons, and if not its been replaced by newer more advanced models. Yes you could use the system on another sled, but thats still a bit of work to redo it all.
that is why we are now FULL TIME on the powersports, we are going to take care of the mapping and development, we will not let down our customers, distributors.
Sure I would lilke efi on my n/a mod sled to replace the flawless,easy to tune Mikuni flat slides I run, but do I want to take time from sledding,racing,golf,hunting,fishing,sking,dog trials and my other hobbies to spend time to dial in a new system? Nope, been there, done that.......just not fun for me anymore, like honda says "I want to ride"
well, i guess it doesn't take everybody the same time to tune a particular setup!! if you can hunt,golf,race,sled,fish,ski, ect. in 2-3 day, then you are a superman :face-icon-small-sho
lmao:face-icon-small-ton I faced this same dilemma a few years back when setting up my Turbo street car, wanted to do it all myself as i';ve always done but made the decision to let Protomotive just do the build for me,expensive? you bet, but cheaper in the long run with much less headaches.
that was wise from you, let the professionals do the work.
That being said if you had a nice bolt on ready to run turbo system with the vipec efi, that was fully tested and ran perfect with no issues for lets say 7-8K,
when the mapping is done, it will run forever you know that....biggest challenge with 2 stroke is taking care of the charge temp so reeds aren't delaminating every 500 miles :face-icon-small-fro , for the rest of the game it is pretty straight forward.
yes I would buy one from you and be very happy with it. :tea:
i hope, since you already know the product, understand it is the best possible bargain at 1995$(billet aluminum case,not casted)and the perfect tuning tool for big bore,porting,pipes,heads,turbo,racing applications ect..Join the dance and help the sledding community to improve the aftermarket e.f.i.......:tea:

Last edited:

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
well like I said, hope it works... as far as my backround and the 'professional" remark...I employed over 60 people and retired from racing at 44. Drove blown alcohol flat and pro mod (car) for 12 years, 3 championships and a basement full of trophies. We built Busch,WOO,Trans-am,have-a-tampa,tractor pull,northwest tour,southwest tour,BAFC,BAD and 100's of lesser motors.I still machine parts for my friend who builds turbines for the world championship Unlimited hydro race boats as well as the miss Geico offshore boat and Bill Tomlinsons record setting cat.
I still go to PRI and SEMA most every year.

Pissing people off who have been on here for years helping guys by suggesting they are not "professional" is not the way to sell your product.

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
well like I said, hope it works... as far as my backround and the 'professional" remark...I employed over 60 people and retired from racing at 44. Drove blown alcohol flat and pro mod (car) for 12 years, 3 championships and a basement full of trophies. We built Busch,WOO,Trans-am,have-a-tampa,tractor pull,northwest tour,southwest tour,BAFC,BAD and 100's of lesser motors
Dindn't want to piss you off at all, i found weird some of your statement that's all. Like i said earlier, you might have been building what ever motor on the planet , hardware is completely different then e.f.i. and you know that, from your previous intervention, i understand you are not the one "tuning" your setup (probably managing someone that does tuning), that is my understanding of some of your intervention.
I still machine parts for my friend who builds turbines for the world championship Unlimited hydro race boats as well as the miss Geico offshore boat and Bill Tomlinsons record setting cat.
Still hardware related....we are talking e.f.i. here....just a reminder.
I still go to PRI and SEMA most every year.
I am jealous.....too busy for the last 4 years to showup there....but vi-pec(philip) as a good company,his there every year giving the distributors a nice window over the market.
Pissing people off who have been on here for years helping guys by suggesting they are not "professional" is not the way to sell your product
again, i am sorry if i pissed you off and the "professional" remarks were targeted at some of your comments and not toward your entire career sir, again it is obvious for me, by some of your statement, you are way more into the hardware fabrication than electronic fuel injection tuning(specific application) most of your private modded vehicules look to be carburated)....telling me 100% of the turbo kit, if well put together, are working flawless is a very bold statement........what if your stock corvette motor N/a get 25 psi of boost and i install a dobeck box on it not touching timing and every other sensors???but still manage not to blow it for a few 500 ft runs and telling you not to hold throttle same position more than 15 seconds anywhere but 100% wot.....would you tell me it is working flawless?? i don't want to enter a pssing match with you, if you have anything more to say please PM me and we can chat back.....as both prosessionals, let's clear off that thread and let the customer reactions or statement dominate

Last edited:

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
its all good....tell ya what if you ever head down this way you are welcome to stay here at my place and go sleddin with us. :face-icon-small-coo Bring a sled with your system and i'll be the first one to give you a great review here if it works well.
As far as the boxes, i'd venture a educated guess that the big reason they work well is the very low boost they run, figure most maybe 5-10 pounds. Pretty easy to get a simple "box" system to run low boost. Now as you said 25 psi? wooooo better have a damn good programable system on that baby !

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
its all good....
thanks , appreciate your cooperation on that.
tell ya what if you ever head down this way you are welcome to stay here at my place and go sleddin with us. :face-icon-small-coo
that is very generous from you sir, we never know!!
Bring a sled with your system and i'll be the first one to give you a great review here if it works well.
Snow started to fly a week ago, we are going to make hugh steps in tuning in the several weeks coming, Already some of our distributors are on the snow and we will keep everyone aware on how the testing goes.
As far as the boxes, i'd venture a educated guess that the big reason they work well is the very low boost they run, figure most maybe 5-10 pounds.
Again, they are a bandaid on the cancer .....like i have sais numerous times, "working good" is a general expression that doesn't mean the same for everybody!!! the logic behind tuning at 2-5-9-15-25-40 psi is the pretty much the same, just a little more carefull with hi boost!!! the problem when arguing over forums is always what is your tolerance to what is for you(means the peron behind the keyboard) a "good running sled" compared to me(professional e.f.i. engine calibrator).....to me a good running sled is ,even modded, a OEM feeling with more power!!Pretty easy to get a simple "box" system to run low boost.
not neccessarly!!! it is the same logic behind tuning at 5 psi than 50 psi......at 50psi we may need your professional hardware though!!!
Now as you said 25 psi? wooooo better have a damn good programable system on that baby !
:face-icon-small-hap
P.s: we are supporting multiple subaru/mitsubishi rallye teams across north america, also sponsoring a "budweiser sponsered" 98 ford lightnening(modded stock) in the low 8's at 35 psi supercharged and a lot of GT racers across canada/usa......this year we were the "scion canada" accredited tuners and we have built electrionic scheme for both scion canada's gt touring cars.......so if you ever need our help on some of your professional or personal set up you can call!!

Last edited:
V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
2011 pro rmk operated 100% by the new vi-pec standalone plugin ecu....!

we finaly got snow and christmas vacation are done.....we went back to work and finalized the base mapping/cold start of the 2011, 2012 on it's way and friday boosted testing starts.

Last edited:

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Just one question, im noob to this so im just asking. Are these really necessary? Or they just a, "if you want" option? I see alot of turboed and non turbos sleds riding around with standard fuel controller with no problems. What do these do, that are so unique that they are a must, and can defend the price?

E
Jul 9, 2002
Omak, WA
The video clearly shows some great throttle response. IMO, the problem with this kit will be the cost vs necessity of it. It seems that any of the Pro turbo kits seem to have awfully good throttle response with their more turbo friendly port heights (compared to Dragons). Seems like most turbo guys prescribe to the Ronco idea....."set it and forget it".

So on a Pro, what field characteristics are showing/lacking from a piggyback unit that necessitates a standalone unit?

E
Jul 9, 2002
Omak, WA
My thought on price-it should be $1000. If putting together a new kit and i didn't have a controller, I would definitely do $1000 vs $450 controller. If I already had a controller, I MAY (probably) switch for $1000.

$2000.....no way-period. Just my personal opinion.

Now, would I like to try one....heck yeah! I have Dragon that would love to see any benefits. (slight glitch in mid-range/throttle that I am sure a standalone would help)

S
Nov 28, 2007
Spokane, Wa
profile.myspace.com
I'm gonna chime in here as a turbo noob... learning how to tune the sled to get the absolute MAX out of it for TOTALLY VARYING conditions is where I see this box REALLY helping me! I ride ALL OVER the board as far as snow types, elevations, weather... stuff that no turbo sled however well tuned it is can adjust to without a little box tweakage... now... I SUCK at tweaking on teh box! I just haven't learned it yet. I know I will eventually but the thought of not adding another thing to my plate is REALLY nice for me.... If I could take my turbo and MAXIMIZE the power out of it. KNOW that i'm truely getting the BEST performance out of it at all times and not have to EVER tweak on it?? heeeellllsss yeah!!!!

another bonus... I let my sled get taken out for rips pretty often. AND, i'm always expecting it to do different things. from tight trees or even a day on the trail taking a friend for a ride, to loooong chute pulls. having my sled work FLAWLESSLY across the board would be REALLY nice. Not just work well. right now it works well... but i really like to have flawless performance and SAFE performance in case someone gets on it who isn't used to watching the gauges!

I dunno... turning a turbo into OPTIMIZED performance but as a pull and go machine that I never have to think about sounds pretty sweet to me!!

S
Oct 17, 2008
Can you add a throttle body to the kit so the injectors are positioned where they're supposed to be......ie polaris.....you can remap all you want....if fuel is not fully vaporised in the combustion chamber, it won't burn properly and runnung quality suffers. Arctic Cat, F1, Superbikes put fuel into the airflow as far upstreem as possible to ensure it's fully vaporised when it reaches the cylinder. So why not build a converion plate that mounts to the throttle bodies, remove the injectors from the transfer ports, put em back where they belong at the intake side of the motor then apply a rock-solid control system and go snowmobiling.....Where polaris fooled themselves is they saw etec come out, didn't have comparable technology, and thought they could move conventional injectors closer to the combustion process.....totally the opposite of what reality dictates.....too many geekaroids, too many computors.l

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
Just one question, im noob to this so im just asking. Are these really necessary?
no add-on are necessary.
Or they just a, "if you want" option? I see alot of turboed and non turbos sleds riding around with standard fuel controller with no problems.
depends what you mean by no problems....
What do these do, that are so unique that they are a must, and can defend the price?
remove your stock ecu, plug a pcv,dobeck,bd ect and crank your sled and tell me what you ear? then plug our ecu and crank and tell me what you ear? this ecu is a full replacement for the sled that can manage boost ,nos or any kinda mods possible....hope you understand what i mean.

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
when you get a chance to test one of this baby, you will soon realize the true potential of those 800cc turboed or not, you will simply say:OMG and i believed my pro was running great!! i have in my garage 4 turboed sleds hm turbo 2009 dragon, custom iqr td05h custom turbo,m1000 turbo and pro turboed with standalone and it simply doesn't compare.....it is no comparison at all.
I'm gonna chime in here as a turbo noob... learning how to tune the sled to get the absolute MAX out of it for TOTALLY VARYING conditions is where I see this box REALLY helping me! I ride ALL OVER the board as far as snow types, elevations, weather... stuff that no turbo sled however well tuned it is can adjust to without a little box tweakage... now... I SUCK at tweaking on teh box! I just haven't learned it yet. I know I will eventually but the thought of not adding another thing to my plate is REALLY nice for me.... If I could take my turbo and MAXIMIZE the power out of it. KNOW that i'm truely getting the BEST performance out of it at all times and not have to EVER tweak on it?? heeeellllsss yeah!!!!

another bonus... I let my sled get taken out for rips pretty often. AND, i'm always expecting it to do different things. from tight trees or even a day on the trail taking a friend for a ride, to loooong chute pulls. having my sled work FLAWLESSLY across the board would be REALLY nice. Not just work well. right now it works well... but i really like to have flawless performance and SAFE performance in case someone gets on it who isn't used to watching the gauges!

I dunno... turning a turbo into OPTIMIZED performance but as a pull and go machine that I never have to think about sounds pretty sweet to me!!

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
Can you add a throttle body to the kit so the injectors are positioned where they're supposed to be......ie polaris.....you can remap all you want
yes you can remap all you want
....if fuel is not fully vaporised in the combustion chamber, it won't burn properly and runnung quality suffers. Arctic Cat, F1, Superbikes put fuel into the airflow as far upstreem as possible to ensure it's fully vaporised when it reaches the cylinder. So why not build a converion plate that mounts to the throttle bodies, remove the injectors from the transfer ports, put em back where they belong at the intake side of the motor then apply a rock-solid control system and go snowmobiling
i am waiting to receive that new mounting location and will help you with tuning:face-icon-small-win
.....Where polaris fooled themselves is they saw etec come out, didn't have comparable technology, and thought they could move conventional injectors closer to the combustion process.....totally the opposite of what reality dictates.....too many geekaroids, too many computors.
well, i won't ask myself why they did this or that......to complicated!

Premium Features