• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cat rear skid

M
Mar 24, 2008
can anybody post some pics of a 162 mounted up and maybe some pics and measurements of the bolt hole locations and modified drop brackets in a nytro? dont wanna do this wrong.

OFT Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 5, 2008
Anchorage, AK
www.OFTRacing.com
Here is a picture of my 153 M skid with a 153 track all done.
PC030093.jpg

Anybody having a problem with the aproach angle of the skid stabbing the track? I installed a anti stab kit but its not the fix to the problem. The only solutions I can come up with is to adjust the skid and ride to correct it but make a great handling sled handle like crap or order custom rails. Any input?
PC030095.jpg

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
Custom rails, Front arm mounts in stock yamaha location, VE rear drop brackets using the upper mounting hole for the rear arm.
Front cat arm needs to have new mounting bushings made as the yami tunnel is wide compared to the cat, Rear mounting arm needs to be shortend
on both sides as the drop brackets are narrower than the cat brackets.
Have one cat fox float skid that has been in since the fall of 07 on a 08 nytro
and just got done with one that uses the yami front arm and cat rear torsion
with titanium springs, custom rails and also mounting in stock location.

the float skid for a 162 is 43 lbs, the torsion 162 skid is 48 Lbs, stock 153
yami is 68 lbs

M
Nov 27, 2007
Fort st. John B.C
thanks for the pictures. is the front mounted in the same location as the stock suspension? i seen some post that said it should be moved up more in the tunnel is this true i am just trying to get all info. before i start this type of project thanks

N
Jan 11, 2008
Cherhill AB
Is the reason for moving the front swing arm bolt hole higher and forward because of the longer swing arm puts the skid to far back and track does not have enough stretch? Guess i will find out, have 162" float on way this week and heading out riding on the weekend. I will let you know how it works out. Also appreciate any more info on the 162 float skids already completed as far as measurments or detailed pics

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
further forward because of the the rail length and up because the rail tips dont have the upward curve that the yamaha rails have, so if the front mounting point has to be moved up in the tunnel the rear also has to be moved up the same amount to keep the suspension working correctly.
this would also lower the the running board to ground clearance.
If you would like a clean factor install look go with custom rails, going to do
another install later this week on a nytro and will post pictures when done.

OFT Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 5, 2008
Anchorage, AK
www.OFTRacing.com
When I did mine I started the project off by setting them side by side and compairing the front bolt holes on the skids thats where I came up with my front holes then adjusted ride height and marked my rear holes. By compairing the skid it is like 1-1 1/2 forward and 1/2 up roughly.

N
Jan 11, 2008
Cherhill AB
Just got the front bolt holes mounted tonight. For the type of bushings I made, to fit correctly I moved it ahead 2" but left it at the same height.
I will need to move my drop brackets forward as the rear hole will be right on the edge. Should have it complete monday when I get some more rivets.I will give an update to handling and post some pics then. Attack angle doesn't seem any worse than stock.

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Just got the front bolt holes mounted tonight. For the type of bushings I made, to fit correctly I moved it ahead 2" but left it at the same height.
I will need to move my drop brackets forward as the rear hole will be right on the edge. Should have it complete monday when I get some more rivets.I will give an update to handling and post some pics then. Attack angle doesn't seem any worse than stock.

Whats the latest?

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Do the cat skids work better in the yamys than they do in the cats? Cause you don't have to search very long in the cat section to see they don't like much about the skids. Or are the stock yammy skids just that much worse?

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Do the cat skids work better in the yamys than they do in the cats? Cause you don't have to search very long in the cat section to see they don't like much about the skids. Or are the stock yammy skids just that much worse?

Worse......and at least 20 lbs. heavier.

M

Midstates

Nov 26, 2001
Slater, IA
If you put a 153 in a Nytro and bolt it in the stock holes there is not a stabbing issue. It becomes a setback, and has a nice shallow approach angle. I put antistabs on but they are not hardly touching. You need 9 in. wheels and a offset axle and you can put a 162 on with no extensions. I just got done doing this with a 2010 Cat air suspension. and it is working nice. My problem is ski pressure. Too much! so I am trying diff. skis now. Have Gen2's on and it is a muscle builder. The front stays down nicely with the turbo though. Stock skis may be the answer. Brad

H
Nov 28, 2008
HERMISTON OR
Mounting location

Midstates have you tried to adjust the front shock and limit straps? Also from what the others have stated maybe the reason
you are not having track stab issues is because the rear needs to be lowered some thus possibly fixing the ski pressure issue???

M

Midstates

Nov 26, 2001
Slater, IA
Good points. I do have the rear bolts in the lower hole on the drop bracket. I may try the upper hole. Straps are loose. Front shock is in the middle position, which is where is was stock on a cat. Sounds like all Nytros even stock, have ski pressure issues especially on the 08. Thanks, Brad

Premium Features