• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cat rear skid

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Who is running a cat fox float rear skid in there turbo yamaha? And is it working alot better? Also close does it mount up the the same points as the yamaha skid?

M
Jan 14, 2004
I run Cat skids in all my Yamaha's. I have a 162 M skid in my Rxt and a Cat based Timbersled skid in my Nytro. If you are running a 162 skid you have 2 options. A 153 Cat skid bolts right into the stock Yamaha holes but with an 8 inch wheel it is only good for a 159 track. If you were to put on a 9" big wheel kit it would just take up the slack in the track. We just finished doing this on a buddies Vector turbo. A 162 Cat skid, which is what I use in my Rxt will not bolt up to the stock Yamaha mounting points. The front torque arm needs to be moved forward and up becasue the Cat arm is about 2" longer than the Yamaha one. I would search for a 162 M skid basically of any vintage. There is a guy in the swap meet with a pretty good deal on a 162 skid with Iceage rails and Ti springs and rebuilt shocks for $400.. If you decide to go this route I can provide you with the necessary measurements. The Cat tunnel is narrower than the Yamaha one so you need to make some spacers for the front torque arm and new longer torque arm bushings. Its all pretty straight forward and for the $$ is pretty hard to beat.

M5

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Drop Brackets

That would be great help if you could tell me where I need to drill new mounting holes. That would make it go in quick.

One more question before I get going on this. Would I need to move my rear drop brackets or would the rear arm still mount in the stock yamaha location? I really don't wanna have to move them.

M
Jan 14, 2004
If you go with the 162 skid you will need to move them forward. t Off the top of my head the Cat skid is 31 1/4 inches or close between the front and rear arms. With the 162 skid the front arm will be further forward in your stock tunnel. A 153 skid will bolt basically straight in which makes it a setback so the front of your sled will feel heavier on the trail but you will have a great approach angle. With the 153 you need the big wheels and an anti stab kit on the rail tips all of which is more $$.

M5

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
skid

Turbo583
Sent you a pm, have been running this settup since the fall of 07, all cat parts except the rails, plus it mounts in stock holes on the tunnel.

Last edited:

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
If you are running a 162 skid you have 2 options. A 153 Cat skid bolts right into the stock Yamaha holes but with an 8 inch wheel it is only good for a 159 track. If you were to put on a 9" big wheel kit it would just take up the slack in the track.

M5

buying a longer track and just running bigger wheels is pointless. your paying more for larger track but the footprint is no different that the 159.

F
Sep 22, 2009
Larger wheels have less resistance in the bearings because they don't turn as fast and do you really think you could tell a difference in an 1 1/2" worth of track on the ground? I highly doubt it.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Ice Age can do the 174" rails for you with your mounting points predrilled for the Cat skid in the Yammie.

N
Nov 27, 2007

I have a 174 in a RXT using a 163 dragon skid .Bolting the front mounts
in the stock holes leaves the just enough track tension without rail extension.
(Rear mounts are located further ahead)

M
Jan 14, 2004
buying a longer track and just running bigger wheels is pointless. your paying more for larger track but the footprint is no different that the 159.

He already has the 162 track and was just looking for cheap skid options to replace the POS yami skid, with the 153 Cat option you end up with a setback and a great approach angle which is where the extra track goes the only reason for the 9" wheels is to take up a little extra track so he can tension the track enough using the stock Cat adjusters. If I were doing it I'd buy the Iceage rails etc etc but it'd cost 4 times as much. Like I said before he can go with the 162 Cat skid but its more work to install than the 153 and the 153 does work well.

M5

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Skid

I am going to make some changes to the stock skid. I am pretty sure I can make it perform very well in all conditions with the changes. I will share them when I have them done. Still will be heavy. Will only be about $75 into making it into a "TURBO WORTHY SKID".

S
Feb 4, 2008
Seattle wa
my set up

I mounted the 162" m1000 skid an inch forward and 3/4"up, I would maybe suggest moving a half inch more forward to have more adjustment on the track. I also raised the mounting hole in the back almost two inches up from the stock hole and just drilled the whole in the correct location with the front bolts in and the springs setup. my drop backets had to be modified a little.:D
my first ride out was sunday and the skid worked awesome! i am going to put some anti stabs on it though.
IMG_1247.jpg

IMG_1246.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
He already has the 162 track and was just looking for cheap skid options to replace the POS yami skid, with the 153 Cat option you end up with a setback and a great approach angle which is where the extra track goes the only reason for the 9" wheels is to take up a little extra track so he can tension the track enough using the stock Cat adjusters. If I were doing it I'd buy the Iceage rails etc etc but it'd cost 4 times as much. Like I said before he can go with the 162 Cat skid but its more work to install than the 153 and the 153 does work well.

M5

oh ok, i thought he had the 153 track not the 162. I personnally run 9 inch wheels and will prolly never go back again, being able to back up in deep snow is amazing.

OFT Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 5, 2008
Anchorage, AK
www.OFTRacing.com
PB230072.jpg

Rear susp bracket/ bumper mount

PB230078.jpg

The skid in there, sorry I dont have a better pic right now.

PB230073.jpg

The front bracket.

I had a local fab shop cut everything for me on the water jet. It was slick. Best of all is the brackets are really big and strong but still lighter then stock. I went with a 153 skid and 153 track may go down to a 144 at some point with new rails if I like the skid. I will post more pictures in the next couple days when its done.

Premium Features