• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

turbo question

S
Mar 19, 2014
I am really considering and want to put a boondocker turbo on my kx450f, I am just really struggling with the cost of the race fuel "vp c12 " is 130 for 5 gallons here .so basically for a full day of riding you are going to spend 120 ish on fuel. Am i correct or does running the higher octane result in less fuel ccnsumption. Was just looking to see how much fuel everyone is using the average price . I was also wondering if it was possible to run at a lower boost with pump gas or a spljt of pump and race fuel, Any imput is really appreciated thanx

Last edited:

powderzone

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2013
Calgary
You can run aviation fuel on a turbo bike. It is a lot less expensive than race fuel and still has what you need...100 octane, no moisture, some lead, anti knock. It will get the job done. I alternate between av-gas and race fuel and can't tell the difference in performance.

S
Mar 19, 2014
I was told its damn near impossible to get av gas .... i c your from calgary where do you get it from . Im located in regina sk

P
Jan 8, 2009
Alberta
Stop at the Swift Current airport on your way west. Haven't been there in a few years but you used to be able to swipe your credit card at the pump and load up as much you have room for and can afford.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Avgas isnt very good imo. Was never developed for high rpm etc. If you dont want/unable to run good fuel i wouldnt turbo charge. Many have used 100LL in different applications without issues. However the majority of failures i have seen or heard about are with Avgas.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I am really considering and want to put a boondocker turbo on my kx450f, I am just really struggling with the cost of the race fuel "vp c12 " is 130 for 5 gallons here .so basically for a full day of riding you are going to spend 120 ish on fuel. Am i correct or does running the higher octane result in less fuel ccnsumption. Was just looking to see how much fuel everyone is using the average price . I was also wondering if it was possible to run at a lower boost with pump gas or a spljt of pump and race fuel, Any imput is really appreciated thanx

I would look at KMS performance also for a turbo and run some of these questions by him....

powderzone

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2013
Calgary
I use the 100LL (blue) avgas on my NOS 520 bigbore setup. Buddies on turbo bikes run the same fuel without issue. Not sure what RPM, prop / turboprop airplanes are running (probably less than a bike) but the application does require anti-knock and suitability to higher altitudes (uniform vapor pressure). 100LL meets the criteria. That said, it isn't specially formulated for bikes so there is a compromise.
Most small airports will carry 100LL since it is produced in sufficient quantities for non-military purposes. I buy mine a small airstrip in Sparwood, BC.

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
I've run 100ll in turbo Apexes for years. Talk about high rpm? Never had a problem. Of course, that 1L is a well built motor

Mtn. Muncher

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
I agree to sticking with quality race fuel. If you are going to run a little motor that hard you want to have the best in it. I also run Klots fuel lube additive for four cycle engines in my Boondocker turbo KTM 450. I ran this bike hard all last winter and took it down to do a new top end in it this year and everything looked perfect valves were even still in speck.

Allen from Timbersled

Premium Features