• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any hot tub service techs on here?

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
I have a hotspring 110v tub that I bought back in 1992?

It does not heat very well, the heater seems weak.

When I block the outlet for 20 seconds the water will come out juuuust a bit hotter than before I did that. The thermostat seems to work, when I turn the dial I can hear the relay telling the heater to turn on off..............

THe insulation around the heater is almost comp0letely gone now, but it haws been that way for several years.

It looks like the heating element is easy to remove and replace. Can I spray some of that foam in a can to recreate the insulation that was around the heater? It does not appear that the heater gets all that hot........

Do you think theere is so much scale build up around the element that it just does not heat effectively anymore?

B
Nov 26, 2007
Sheridan WY
Probably time to replace the heater, but check the temp sensor first, it is much cheaper to replace. I have never seen a heater with insulation around it. Usually just a steel cylinder or lond steel tube. If you have to order a new heater I would ask the dealer's recommendations with the spray foam.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Probably time to replace the heater, but check the temp sensor first, it is much cheaper to replace. I have never seen a heater with insulation around it. Usually just a steel cylinder or lond steel tube. If you have to order a new heater I would ask the dealer's recommendations with the spray foam.

Question:

I turn up the dial on the heat all the way, a really closes and tells the heater to heat. It just barely heats......

Temp sensor just tells the relay to close or open right? If I hear the relay close the sensor is fine right?

B
Nov 26, 2007
Sheridan WY
Question:

I turn up the dial on the heat all the way, a really closes and tells the heater to heat. It just barely heats......

Temp sensor just tells the relay to close or open right? If I hear the relay close the sensor is fine right?

It sounds like it is probably the heater. Not being real familiar with Hot Springs tubes I am just shooting out some questions. Are the pumps moving enough water? Do you have a control screen that might be showing a flow alert? In newer tubs if you have a circulation pump go bad it shuts the heater down to keep it from overheating. Can you see the flow switch? It may be in a clear T with a flapper that makes connection with a post when there is adequate flow. I am more familiar with Sundance Spas, but they all operate in much the same way.

Premium Features