• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

xlt no low end power?

S
Dec 11, 2007
Anoka MN
i have a 95 xlt special 121 inch that seems to not have any power till it get to 40 mph and then it takes off like crazy. HELP?:confused: all three cylinders have compression of about 90-95, is that right? it has a gold spring in the clutch. any ideas?? and does any one know how big of lugs i can run on that sled?

A
Dec 4, 2007
Fairbanks
I had an XLT and I had about 120 to 130 psi in the cylinders, but I did have SLP heads. I didn't have much for bottom end at all though, it wasn't quite as bad as you are describing but the bottom end sucked. You might try getting some heads or maybe just getting a little lighter weights. Mine had all sorts of power in the mid and high, it was running trail port, slp heads, and dg can. Nice setup, but it didn't last more than a year before it burned down. Good luck man. They were fun sleds.

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
xlt questions

90-95 seems kinda low for compression. been looking at used xlt motors on e-bay and they're listing about 115-120. I would have to dig out my manual for my '97 xlt rmk to know for sure...

As for track lug size for your sled, there is an excellent article in the december 2005 snowest that talks about what things to consider when going to a larger lug track, namely clearance. In that article there is a reprint of a track fitment chart from the Western Powersports catalog for different sprocket sizes for the 4 manufacturers.

According to the chart, 95-96 xlt and xcr's came with 9-tooth sprockets and could run a 1.5" lug track stock. 8-tooth drivers would be required to run a 2", and 2.25" lugs could be run with 8- tooth if the tallest lugs were trimmed 1/4". Otherwise 7-tooth sprockets would be needed to run 2.25" lugs without trimming. The chart warns of track slippage with smaller sprockets on 2.25" lugs.

This chart is in the current WPS catalog on their website, page 505. Hope this helps on the track issue.:face-icon-small-hap

S
Dec 13, 2007
midwest
i have a 95 xlt special 121 inch that seems to not have any power till it get to 40 mph and then it takes off like crazy. HELP?:confused: all three cylinders have compression of about 90-95, is that right? it has a gold spring in the clutch. any ideas?? and does any one know how big of lugs i can run on that sled?

First of all, what elevation are you at? How does it idle and what is throttle response like before clutch engagement? Stock was 10-m5 weights with the gold spring and compression should be at 115-125. Anything less than 90 lbs will not pull fuel but if it starts fine it should be ok. The 580/600 triples did not have a lot of torque and were sensative to proper belt condition and tension as well as proper clutch function.

Be sure belt is in good shape and tight. Replace gold spring with a dark blue/white and varify weights for altitude and go from there. Sounds to me like the belt is worn and loose and the primary spring is fatigued from time. The symptoms sound like the primary is upshifting too quickly and the engine needs to bnuild rpm's to make enough power to catch-up. Do these few things and all should be fine.

-Seeder

S
Dec 11, 2007
Anoka MN
First of all, what elevation are you at? How does it idle and what is throttle response like before clutch engagement? Stock was 10-m5 weights with the gold spring and compression should be at 115-125. Anything less than 90 lbs will not pull fuel but if it starts fine it should be ok. The 580/600 triples did not have a lot of torque and were sensative to proper belt condition and tension as well as proper clutch function.

Be sure belt is in good shape and tight. Replace gold spring with a dark blue/white and varify weights for altitude and go from there. Sounds to me like the belt is worn and loose and the primary spring is fatigued from time. The symptoms sound like the primary is upshifting too quickly and the engine needs to bnuild rpm's to make enough power to catch-up. Do these few things and all should be fine.

-Seeder
thanks ill try a blue, and maybe a new belt. any chance its the driven clutch ? the weights are right for this flatlander.

Premium Features