• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Motor Mount Stop... Gap Between Stop and Engine?

B

Brett Slagle

Jan 11, 2008
Sled: 2005 M7

I was cleaning my motor compartment this past weekend and noticed that the bump stop on the MAG side of the motor was not resting against the engine cases. In fact, it was about .25'' away from the cases. I do not think this is normal or to AC specs, but I wanted to confirm with all you before adjusting it. I replaced every motor mount in the middle of last season and they all look good now, so I am confident the motor is sitting straight right now. Should I adjust the bump stop to the engine cases? I always thought it should just barely rest against it...

Thank you!

Brett

B

Brett Slagle

Jan 11, 2008
Thanks... Without buying the special tool to make sure the clutches are aligned, is there a cheap and effective way to ensure they are aligned?

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Thanks... Without buying the special tool to make sure the clutches are aligned, is there a cheap and effective way to ensure they are aligned?

I have used a framing square and measured the front to back dimension on the primary. Put the square on the back side of the secondary then just measure the gap on the primary.

Thunder

B

Brett Slagle

Jan 11, 2008
If the clutches are out of alignment, how do you put them back into alignment? I assume you can use the bump stop in front of the motor to push it one way, but what if I need to move it the other way? Is there another adjusting bump stop besides the one in front of the motor? Should I be aligning the clutches to be perfectly even or off a little to accommodate motor torque when riding? Thank you all. SnoWest is such an awesome tool for me... I basically learn all sled knowledge from you all!

Brett

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
It depends one how you are measuring.
If you have limited knowledge on this I would say buy a alignment tool, it will make it very easy. its hard to explain how it works unless you have seen the tool used, then its simple. Or run it down to the dealer and have them throw it up against the clutches and see what it shows. Any way its a bar that is kinda zig zagged that goes into the middle of the primary and then is offset and rests on the outside of the secondary, the offset should be 1.56 inches or something like that but I can't say for sure.

It sounds like you are talking about the engine being twisted one way, there should be a little bit of a twist to it when not running, this allows it to move/twist back into alignment when the clutches engage and torque is applied.

Hope this helps

B

Brett Slagle

Jan 11, 2008
Yea, that helps. Sounds like I should just buy the right tool. So, who makes a good clutch alignment tool? I have an 05 M7. Stock primary. RKT secondary kit. Thanks!

B

Brett Slagle

Jan 11, 2008
Awesome. I was about to call Michelle for some other parts already... so good timing! So the bar is designed with the 1.56'' (or whatever it is) offset built into it? So all I will need is the alignment tool and then the wrenches to adjust the motor correctly? If the clutches are out of alignment, what do I adjust to bring them back into alignment? I am assuming the bump stop in the front of the chassis to push the motor in one direction, but what if it needs to go the other direction? Sorry for so many questions... My sled is 600 miles away from my house and in the middle of the mountains so when I go to work on it I always need to make sure I know what I am doing and have the right tools to get it done.

Thanks!

Brett

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
The only way to adjust it is to loosen all the mounts then bar it into place and tighten it down, once tight check it again. Its not exactly adjustable. If you can't get it into alignment you have to get creative. You shouldn't use the bump stop to align the motor its more of a torque brace not an adjustment. When the engine torques back it will move quite a bit, how far will does yours seem to be out.

Premium Features