• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thoughts on the 700 Dragon ? Coming from an Rmk 800, any real life experiences ?

D

depsnolvr

Nov 26, 2007
Well, I really like the chasis, but am nervous about it only being a 700. I may look at one thats has a single and reeds, does it have enough poop to get the job done ?

Any first hand experiences with the drop in cc's ?

thanks
c

B

Bubba700

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Rexburg ID
I had the same worries, My last sled was 02 Poo 800 with a pipe, can, slp intake and flowrites.Jumped to the D7 and honestly stock it seems to pull as hard as my 02. It goes everywhere that I want it to. The track is great, clutching is pretty good from the factory. I can hang with my buddy's rev 800 almost every where. It just wont climb quite as fast or high mark them,but Im not really into that so it doesn't matter to me.

K

kmo

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
My '07 685 out easily out performs my and other stock '03 800 RMK 151's. It also runs with, and at times out performs piped/air kit/reeds 800's.

I think you will like it just fine!

D
Dec 7, 2007
I don't know if I'd go so far as to say it pulls as hard as the edge 800. It is a great running machine none the less. From what I've ridden on it, it is about neck and neck between it and my 02 800 151. It does float better. The dragon chassis is definitely easier to handle than the edge chassis. If you're looking for more poop under the hood wait and get a used 800 dragon next year if you can. I know I won't go anything less than an 800 regardless what people say. Gotta love the quick power and torque of the bigger cc sleds.

B
Dec 24, 2007
08 700d

I'm a tree rider (not a highmarker) in W Montana and went from an 02 800 V Edge 156 to an 08 700 D 155. The 02 800 was a great sled. The new one is really impressive, I've just got to figure out how to ride it - totally different handling from the edge chassis. Once I figure it out how to not reef on it as hard I'm pretty sure it'll get me into more sh%&ty places than the 800 did.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Many people claim the D7 will perform with or right along side the old VE 800. I spent alot of time last season riding with 700 dragons and 800 VE's, from what I've seen a well tuned D7 doesn't have near the poop a solid running VE 800 has but they still get around real well. The 2.4 track is the best part on the dragon.

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
Ollie did the jump from an 800VES to an 07 (iirc) dragon. He hasn't regretted it one bit.

I moved from a 700VES to a Carl's Cycle 660 and haven't regretted it one bit either. And before people go searching my post, yes I've said the 660 could use more power, but those were situations where the only thing powerful enough would have probably been a Turbo Apex.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
The new 700CC polaris engine puts out a couple more HP than the pre-2005 800 motors at 140. However I don't think it has the same torque. It is a small block. I don't think it is much behind the older 800 in torque.

However, the new 700 wraps a LOT faster than the older 800's. I had 6000 miles on my 800 prior to getting this sled and I can't image ever going back. The handling is awsome. I came down a trail at the end of the day last saturday and the last mile was pretty wooped out. So I decided to see just how well this sled does in those conditions. I know my 800 would have thrown me around pretty good.

This sled sat and took it with zero problem. I was doing 50 down sections with 2' whoops. This sled sat flat and soaked up everything I threw at it.

As for powder, this sled kicks the dog snot out of the older chassis. It responds with very little input. Where you had to get both feet on one side to get a really tight turn out of the older sleds, all you have to do is lean and throttle. This sled will stay in anyposition you put it in. Wheather it is a side hill or a turn. This chassis is fantastic.

Unless you need as much power as you can get (for climbing or ego) the 700 is a fantastic sled. Make the jump.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
The new 700CC polaris engine puts out a couple more HP than the pre-2005 800 motors at 140. However I don't think it has the same torque. It is a small block. I don't think it is much behind the older 800 in torque.

However, the new 700 wraps a LOT faster than the older 800's. I had 6000 miles on my 800 prior to getting this sled and I can't image ever going back. The handling is awsome. I came down a trail at the end of the day last saturday and the last mile was pretty wooped out. So I decided to see just how well this sled does in those conditions. I know my 800 would have thrown me around pretty good.

This sled sat and took it with zero problem. I was doing 50 down sections with 2' whoops. This sled sat flat and soaked up everything I threw at it.

As for powder, this sled kicks the dog snot out of the older chassis. It responds with very little input. Where you had to get both feet on one side to get a really tight turn out of the older sleds, all you have to do is lean and throttle. This sled will stay in anyposition you put it in. Wheather it is a side hill or a turn. This chassis is fantastic.

Unless you need as much power as you can get (for climbing or ego) the 700 is a fantastic sled. Make the jump.

Exactly what he said ;) ^^^^^^^

S
Nov 6, 2002
Alaska
700 Dragon

I am with Ollie on saying the Drogon DOES NOT have the torque of the old 8. I had a gen2 700 and edge 700, and my arms were always getting a "jerk" from take off. But the chassis is flat out amazing! I have an 07 and the stepson has an 08, and all I can say is WOW!!! I was floating thru the meadows up in Island Park at 1/2 throttle. When you pulled the trigger after your easy turn (with a 60 lb. 5yr old on in front of me), it just pulled up out of the fluff right on top. I think I need a little more weight in the primary and maybe it will pull a little harder. But, that may take some time too. My wife rode my 07 while I was riding the 08 and breaking it in and now she wants my machine!!! I guess I'll just have to get an 800. I also had to ride a lot different as you just lean a little and pull on the bars a little and it was up on 1 ski. Even though the engine is a little disappointing, all i can do is smile. And you are NOT tired at the end of the day!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I'm not sure how you could compare the two because of the chassis differences. Unless you drag race the two to tell, but then that wouldn't be what they were built for. I feel that my '07 Dragon 700 has more overall usable power than the Edge 800 (stock), but the chassis makes all the difference.

S
Nov 30, 2007
Wenatchee ,wa
I have a 08 700 rmk 155 with 340 miles so far.Coming off an 03 escape 800 159 was a big change ! The 700 has similar hp but not as much torque,but the end result seems to be the same. The 700 is smoother with better throttle response through the power band. It's not the hard arm strecher the 800 ves was.Just smoother acceleratrion.
The whole RAW package just takes getting use to. Don't think I want to go back to the Edge ,especially that last ten miles back to the truck. So far no problems with 700.....It's a keeper.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Puyallup, Wa.
I have a 07 600 155 I bought new three weeks ago and love it!
Previous sled was an 02 800 RMK 159 which had great low end pull with the SLP single, flow rites, etc.

Just got back from a ride with lots of stop and go boondocking over and around large downed trees in bottomless snow. Snow was "neck deep" and didn't get stuck at all. The engine, cluthing and track on this sled flat out work like no other sled I have ever owned.

08 700 RMK 155
07 600 RMK 155

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kuna
My last sled was a 98 chassis 700 RMK mod sled with a 151, pipes, light weight stuff porting etc etc etc and it was fun, had decent power and all, but still was a wedge.

I snow checked the 07 RMK 700 Dragon 155 and other than the Gravity Worx set up, I just went with the can to shave a few pounds and to preserve the 4 year bumper to bumper.

I've got 2 head to head experiences with 800s so far.
The first one, was just drag racing a 99 chassis with an 05 800 motor in it, holtz skid, a ton of chassis mods, etc.
He pulled me by 1/2 sled length off the line, even at about 100 feet, and I could walk away from there up.
We swapped machines and the same results for the sleds.
We got bored with that after 3 times of the same thing and went on to play and climb the rest of the day.

The other head to head was last season on one of the few good powder days we got last season and I was up with my friend, Balin. He's on an 02 (I think) chassis, but it's got an 860cc big bore, pipes, not stock by any means.
We banged hills all day, put on something like 35 miles on a full tank.
At the end of the day, the score was 1 to 1.
1 hill I made the top of, and he didn't. 1 hill he got the higher mark on me by a good 50 feet.
The rest of the day was just too back and forth.
We were both making the tops, some times he took more than 1 try, some times I had to, but at the end, it was 1 to 1.

I do think the larger CCs give a little more torque, but the Dragon gives more on top so power wise, it's a trade off.
Handeling wise, Riding the Dragon is almost cheating. They just float and handle that well.
The better handeling and track is why Balin and I went 1 to 1, because I think he is a little better rider than I am.

Premium Features