• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

odd bogging will run fine with choke on.

S
Dec 8, 2008
Eagle Point, Oregon
Bought the wife a used sled (well almost new 111 miles on it.)
we took it out for the first time tuesday and it would only run on half choke until about 20mph and then you could take the choke off and would run great.
get below about 20 and it would sputter a bit and stop it might run or not. if it was running you would hit throttle and it would bog and die. hit throttle with half choke and it would run fine.

so today is the first real day I have to look at it and plan of attack it to check fuel filter and see if there is any water in tank.

Any other ideas?
Thanks

C
Jan 26, 2002
Alaska
I bet your carb is gummed up. The choke circut adds fuel, so if it was a water problem, it would probably just make the bogging worse.

I had a bog just off idle once that was cured with a bit of choke, so I fattened up my pilot jets. Your problem sounds like you are still in the pilot jet/on the needle range in your carbs when the bog happens. By adding fuel, you are temp fixing your underlying problem. I bet either your pilots or main jet circut is clogged or gummed up. Take off your carbs, disassemble and clean them really good. Make note of what goes where, and how many turns...etc. Those little passages can get clogged easily, so make sure you clean them good. Check with factory specs to see where your jetting is at.

Have you ever taken apart a carb before?

Also...

What sled, year, make, engine...etc.

Usually when the filter is clogged, they dont like to run ah high rpm and load, and that doesnt sound like your problem.

Water just makes them run like crap all together.

Good luck

Joe

S
Dec 8, 2008
Eagle Point, Oregon
Thanks. That is my conclusion also. I hate getting to those really tight sleds to take off the carbs. Hoping it was something simple I was over looking.

It is the freestyle back country with the air cooled 550 rotax.

T
Dec 26, 2008
Saskatchewan
I agree sound like lean on the circuit you could raise the needles one groove and see what that does for you.How do your plugs look lean will be light brown or white.Choclate color is beautifully done.To raise the needle you actually have to drop the clip one groove.

Last edited:
R
Mar 1, 2008
calgary
Had the same problem first ridew of the year. I would really recommend some type of fuel staibilzer over the summer to prevent fuel seperation. My sled would only run on one cylinder under 3500 rpm. PTO spark plug was light in color - very lean . Was unsure what the problem was . Cleaned card still that same problem. Then I replaced the pilot jet and problem solved. Run great after that.

H

High Powder

Nov 26, 2007
Northern Utah
Also check the carb boots between the carb and the motor. The 300 version of the Freestyle is notorious for this problem, but not sure if it applies to the 550 as well.

S
Nov 5, 2008
I hate to say it but Graveler is probably right.
Easy fix, pull off the carbs, one can of gumout, one air compressor,one six pack of beer. Just make sure you don't have any screws left over when you put the bowls back on. :beer;

S
Jan 1, 2008
Lewiston Idaho
gummed up pilots....
I have taken 2 of em' into the dealer after sitting all sumer, then run just as you describe. I always put them away for summer with stabil in the fuel, but I think a combination of the extream heat and the ethanol gas here in lewiston cause this problem alot. Not a cheap fix...unless you do it yourself!

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Another vote for gummed up pilots. But I will add this, they can be a real pia to try to get them to clean as samll as they are. You might be best off to just buy a new pair and replace them rather than having to reclean them a few times.

R
Nov 26, 2007
Sylvan Lake
Just had this problem today on a 800. thought pilots too but it had a tear in both boots and was leaning out. would run fine with choke but wouldn't idle without it and would rev up momentarily when closing choke. definantly check for air leaks.

B

BackCountryBob

Aug 7, 2001
Arvada, Colorado
Stabil is OK but Seafoam is much better as it stabilizes for 12 months, has a dry gass type additive and will clean the carbs like Gumout--expensive at $8.00 to condition 8 gallons but my crappy running lawn mower ran great after 15 mins running.

Also, I had a similar running problem and thought it was the pilot but it turned out to be a leaking mag side crank seal.

BCB

S
Dec 8, 2008
Eagle Point, Oregon
cleaned carb and runs fine. I heard that stabil has 2 versions. 4 cycle and 2 cycle. even if you don't add 2-cycle oil to the tank you still need to use the green (2cycle) version as the ethanol and oil mix causes a gel like substance to plug the pilot jets on 2 cycle engines. happened to a lot of people here since it is mandatory now to have 10-15% ethanol additive in all fuel.

good luck and hey when are they going to make a supper high torque, super fast, nimble sled that runs on water? worth some money there, huh????

A
Nov 21, 2008
i would check the carbs and also check intake boots or anywhere that extra air could be getting in because somewhere you are either getting too much air or not enough fuel.

Premium Features