• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Kmod or Timbersled???

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
Which set up would you buy for the 2011 M8LTD?
K Mod with Raptor shocks or 2012 Mtn. Tamer Back Suspension.
I am sold on Raptor shocks. Best ride I have ever had. Bar none.
Timbersled now has a hand adjustable coupling system. 20%-80% with the turn of a nob. I know nothing about the Zbroz Exit X1 shock.
If you have ridden them let me know what you think. GOOD or BAD.

F

FrostBite2010

Jan 9, 2010
Haines, Alaska
Kmod

I can't speak for timber sled, but I can tell you that the kmod was the single best modification that I've ever done to any of my sleds in terms of how the sled handles. Its more predictable, handles better, rides better, controls ski lift, great customer service. I can't see where you can go wrong with their setup.

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
Kmod is proven and I have never heard a single bad thing about them. Timbersled is brand new this year and may prove to be better...or worse. Won't know for a month or two. I have heard complaints about the strength of Timbersled products in the past. Comes down to...are you a gambling man?

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
There is about a $700 difference. I got excited about the nob to change the coupling on the Timber Sled. I got to ride the Raptor shocks last spring and they and Jake was wonderfull. Jake had just taken the new K Mod off his sled so I didn't get that. I am not a gambler with those funds. Has anyone ran the Timber Sled Mountain Tamer suspension?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
To get a real report no one will know until they have ridden the t-skid for a while, to get used to it, test its ability and in all snow conditions and different power levels. The shocks are comparable, both high quality. The suspensions themselves are couple, thats about the only thing they have in common. The KMOD runs equal length arms and the t-skid doesn't. That makes me worry about binding issues (shouldn't though as the t-sled guys arent idiots), the kmod was built that way to not have binding. the adjuster is nice but how often are you going to adjust it (I bet less than once a ride). its pretty simple on the kmod also and you can make it couple where ever you would like if you want to use there coupling blocks, take them out or even make your own and its capable of 0-100% coupling where as the t-skid is not. On big boost or real steep climbing that last 20% makes a difference but may not make much for some of the other stuff. The Kmod and t-skid also have different mounting locations and the geometry is quite different.

I don't have any experience on the t-skid but have researched it quite a bit and am very interested to see how it performs. The other hard thing to distinguish, anyone that rides either skid will love it no matter which one, but the only way to know which one you like better is have a far amount of time on both and play around with them.

I am also pretty sure you can get almost all your money back out it if you had too.

One thing I tell you about the kmod is once you get some time on one you will think it was one of the cheapest performance purchases you ever made and will never want a stocker again. IMO I would take it over boost.

Shouldn't be long before some lucky guys get time on both.

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
Kmod all day

I was in same situation as you this summer. I inquired about both on both manufactures websites. Kevin got back to me right away and to tell you the truth I learned more about the timbersled through Kevin than from timbersled because they never got back to me once. I have probabally 15 returned emails from Kevin in a span of 5 days that sold me. That type of customer service is needed when buying custom parts. The skid also is super easy to adjust, not to mention he can mix and match any colors you want. I went with powder coated black 162" rails and sublime arms.

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
Just read both web pages again. I was not looking at them the same. For a few more bucks then the Timber Sled, K Mod sends the whole suspension, rails and all. This is getting easier.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
i have the timbersled rear and barkbuster frt with evols..light and smooth...no complaints..
excellent support and always answers to emails and returned phone calls
a great company imo

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
While we're on the topic, is anyone else having a hard time figuring out what specifically is in the kits that KMOD sells? I mean the complete rear suspension kit is obvious but the less expensive options are tough to visualize what's actually in them.

Is there a basic kit that would be just the arms? Is that an option with the stock rails and shocks? If not, what IS the most basic kit?

B

Budd

Nov 26, 2007
Eastern, ID.
The complete skid is just that. The kit is every thing except rails, you use your stock rails, and the conversion kit converts your stock skid into a coupled skid, it includes the rear arm, all required hardware and your stock shocks need to be modified. Hope this helps, Budd

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
While we're on the topic, is anyone else having a hard time figuring out what specifically is in the kits that KMOD sells? I mean the complete rear suspension kit is obvious but the less expensive options are tough to visualize what's actually in them.

Is there a basic kit that would be just the arms? Is that an option with the stock rails and shocks? If not, what IS the most basic kit?

rear arm, you send your shocks in and they change the valving and lengths, coupling blocks, rail plugs for mounting rear arm, I recommend the anti stab kit as will kmod. I did this version and after having it and the huge difference I have to try the full skid. worth every penny IMO

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
rear arm, you send your shocks in and they change the valving and lengths, coupling blocks, rail plugs for mounting rear arm, I recommend the anti stab kit as will kmod. I did this version and after having it and the huge difference I have to try the full skid. worth every penny IMO

I guess my next question would be what's the difference between the conversion and the full kit? Obviously the shocks are different but is the geometry? Sounds like the whole basis of their theory is a coupled skid AND identical length swingarms. If the conversion kit is only one swingarm, is it safe to assume that's matched up with whichever stock one you keep and you have an equivalent set of arms? After that, why would you need/want both KMOD arms?

Not trying to nitpick, just genuinely curious. Coming from a good amount of experience in suspended wheels, this whole suspended skid thing kind of interests me.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
The rails have a smoother arc and stronger, (IMO better and puts a tiny bit more track on the ground) and the shocks are the huge difference. with the conversion you can only valve them for weight. So if you valve them perfect then add a gas jug to the back of the tunnel it will be to much and might bottom once in a while if you hit just right or you have to increase the pressure and then it doesn't handle quite as nice. This is probably something 90% of people wont notice. But if there is any issue with the valving kmod will revalve and take care of it. The shocks have triple rate springs and 20 click adjusters, need I say more.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Which shock setup are you running?

i have the fox float evols on the front...and the fox floats on the rear which i purchased the extra volume cylinders that i added on which is not the best solution for the rears...i will end up getting the evol upgrade on the rear eventually..

Premium Features