• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FLAT-LAND switchback & rmk thread!!!

D

danduvall

Jan 28, 2010
n.e. ohio
I don't know about everyone else but. More than a few times i've utilized a mod or trick discussed in the 900 forum,to later find out that the mod is better suited for mountain use. DON'T GET ME WRONG there are tons of great info, and very knowledgeable people on this site! And all have helped me out alot!

Ok anyways... I think there are alot of 900 switchbacks (me) and 900 rmk's being used for low elevation trail and off-trail riders.so I thought i'd start a thread for FLATLAND SPECIFIC mods,setups,tips& tricks etc... soo if any of my fellow flatlander have questions or advice to share let's do it here. Maybe if the thread picks up steam we'll get a sub. Section in the forum :)

D

danduvall

Jan 28, 2010
n.e. ohio
My first question is... what kinda clutching are you guys with the long track 9's on the trails?? My SB has a damn EPI kit in it... and the perc grooves in the helix aren't deep enough... so I wanna get a new helix that wont slip out of reverse. But epi wont tell ya what helix or springs I have so kneed to start over with my clutching!

Im running oem 144 track 210 studs soon to have cpi pipe.

M

monster715

Nov 4, 2009
Wisconsin
Here in the flat country I actually run 11-76 weights and a pink spring (I cant remember what the numbers are on that thing.....I will find out). Then for the driven clutch I am running one of the new Polaris P2 units with a 58-42 helix.

M

monster715

Nov 4, 2009
Wisconsin
I did the radiator delete thing a few years ago so I was having some issues on the trails with it overheating......added scratchers this past year. Now she runs at 124 degrees F all day long.

Also running the 1.352 cobra track (144) - no picks. Very impressed with that track (like it so much I bought the same track for my RUSH).

D

danduvall

Jan 28, 2010
n.e. ohio
I did the rad delete and then re-installed the rad and re-plumbed it so the rad runs in series withe the rest of the cooling system!
those cobra tracks look impressive. If I get some extra cash i'd like to try one out, with the stock track 210 studs ( 1/4" penetration) I still spin quite a bit!

S

sno_mo_racer

Oct 28, 2009
Kugluktuk Nunavut
My first question is... what kinda clutching are you guys with the long track 9's on the trails?? My SB has a damn EPI kit in it... and the perc grooves in the helix aren't deep enough... so I wanna get a new helix that wont slip out of reverse. But epi wont tell ya what helix or springs I have so kneed to start over with my clutching!

Im running oem 144 track 210 studs soon to have cpi pipe.

Definitely a flatlander here but a shorty Fusion with cobra track/719 helix/11-76 weights/Dynoport pipe/y-pipe/can. hitting 7500-7600 rpms. Stock 25/37 gears and 120-310 primary spring and stock 140-240 secondary.
Get rid of the EPI kit. Most 900 flatlanders(over @ HCS forum) and other types of sleds said EPI did nothing and some kits actually made them worst. Also have a 66-44-.46/70-44-.46 and 11-74 weights to try but haven't yet since didn't have reverse. Spring is just starting so might get a chance to try it soon. Another 1-2 months yet of riding. :clap2: :)

Here in the flat country I actually run 11-76 weights and a pink spring (I cant remember what the numbers are on that thing.....I will find out). Then for the driven clutch I am running one of the new Polaris P2 units with a 58-42 helix.

Interested to hear how the P2 is on the 9 compared the team. Did you get the angles dialed in @58-42 or were you still trying to get it dialed in?

I did the rad delete and then re-installed the rad and re-plumbed it so the rad runs in series withe the rest of the cooling system!
those cobra tracks look impressive. If I get some extra cash i'd like to try one out, with the stock track 210 studs ( 1/4" penetration) I still spin quite a bit!

Definitely get the cobra track when you can. I will never use a ripsaw again.

Last edited:
M

monster715

Nov 4, 2009
Wisconsin
I have been really impressed with the P2 so far....especially when I was out west with it. I do have several different helixes and a few springs as well that I have not had a chance to try out yet.

S

sno_mo_racer

Oct 28, 2009
Kugluktuk Nunavut
I have been really impressed with the P2 so far....especially when I was out west with it. I do have several different helixes and a few springs as well that I have not had a chance to try out yet.

Great. Let us know when you find the right helix for the P2 as I am interested in trying a P2 also, just don't have the funds right now to get a bunch of helixes and springs.

D

danduvall

Jan 28, 2010
n.e. ohio
Definitely a flatlander here but a shorty Fusion with cobra track/719 helix/11-76 weights/Dynoport pipe/y-pipe/can. hitting 7500-7600 rpms. Stock 25/37 gears and 120-310 primary spring and stock 140-240 secondary.
Get rid of the EPI kit. Most 900 flatlanders(over @ HCS forum) and other types of sleds said EPI did nothing and some kits actually made them worst. Also have a 66-44-.46/70-44-.46 and 11-74 weights to try but haven't yet since didn't have reverse. Spring is just starting so might get a chance to try it soon. Another 1-2 months yet of riding. :clap2: :)

Interested to hear how the P2 is on the 9 compared the team. Did you get the angles dialed in @58-42 or were you still trying to get it dialed in?

Definitely get the cobra track when you can. I will never use a ripsaw again.

what are the ramp angles on the 719 helix? does anyone know??

T

TrailRebel

Feb 4, 2010
Butler, WI
66-44-42-E (.46/.25/.25) & 70-46-42-E (.46/.25/.25)
On our 900's it would be ran in the lower one. :thumb:

I personally run the TEAM 420770 ran on the 66-44-.46 angle. I'm also bone stock for springs and weights. For trails, this made a HUMONGOUS difference in mileage, and helped getting topped out quicker as well.

Last edited:
D

danduvall

Jan 28, 2010
n.e. ohio
I need someclutching advice! 2006 900 Switchback 144" 210 studs runnin cpi 10hp pipe. Agressive trail rider and some offtrail when I can. My sled had an EPI clutch kit on it when I got it, and my perc doesn't work properly with the helix from EPI because its not an ER helix. EPI wont divulge the angles of the helix or the spring rates for that matter. I need a new ER helix and springs for, fast trail, drags, and offtrail fun 1000-2500' Elev. 280# rider.

Sled runs fine with the epi kit, could use a lil more top end pull. really Id just like to know which ER helix to replace the epi helix with. And to know what spring rates are in the kit so I can replace them when they break or sack out. Thanks

S

sno_mo_racer

Oct 28, 2009
Kugluktuk Nunavut
I need someclutching advice! 2006 900 Switchback 144" 210 studs runnin cpi 10hp pipe. Agressive trail rider and some offtrail when I can. My sled had an EPI clutch kit on it when I got it, and my perc doesn't work properly with the helix from EPI because its not an ER helix. EPI wont divulge the angles of the helix or the spring rates for that matter. I need a new ER helix and springs for, fast trail, drags, and offtrail fun 1000-2500' Elev. 280# rider.

Sled runs fine with the epi kit, could use a lil more top end pull. really Id just like to know which ER helix to replace the epi helix with. And to know what spring rates are in the kit so I can replace them when they break or sack out. Thanks

Not sure what the helix or springs/weights are with the epi kits as they won't disclose them. For the weights you can weigh them unless they still have them stamped on since it is there brand weights I would assume. And for the springs click here for there spring charts. You can just look what color you have in clutches and them find out what pound #'s they are.

My set-up is on a Fusion 121" 900 '06 has 120-310 primary spring, 11-76 weights with another set of 11-74 if needed. But for adjustability I would go with the Dalton's QAP-5 73.5-81g since they are adjustable while in the clutch and no rivets to drill out but I got a good deal on the 11 series weights so went with those. But I am a short track and @ sea level stock was 10-74, not sure what they are in the switch. Secondary is 140-240 spring and 66-44-.46/70-44-.46 helix I just put in which replaced the 719 helix. Found the 66-44-.46/70-44-.46 helix works better with the cobra track as when I put the track on the 719 wouldn't allow the primary to fully shift out but would work good with the stock ripsaw track.

EPI recommendations for the switch are for the primary white(125-280) or red(145-300) But think the 280 finish would be too low for the 900 as I myself wouldn't go under 300. Secondary you must have the Orange (140-240). If you want a higher engagement there is the yellow 165-310 Which I have tried and found was great for holeshots but too high engagement and driving in low rpms on slow trail was a pita on the 900 so went back to 120-310.

If I were you I would start with the 66-44 or 719 helix, 74 or 76 gr weights or the daltons for adjustability, 140-240 and 140-260 secondary spring, if you want higher engagement maybe 165-310 primary or 120-310 also if you do not like the high engagement. Might need to get an assortment of springs as my track is shorter then yours and gearing is different maybe 25-37 gears and 220# rider.

Good luck with which way you go, hope I was of some help.

M

millwall

Dec 16, 2007
N/West Chicago suburb
Got the sled with the EPI kit also, and yeah, no help from EPI as well, now I'm livid. Tried measuring their helix, but need a constant contact CMM, so I'm having the helix measured in about a month. I'll let you know what I find.
Like the idea of flatlander based info, as you have to pick thru the mountain stuff, and see whether it would apply, but still alot of great info though.
Clutch and helix setup info is a must for us flatlanders.
Good Luck with the sub forum.

D

danduvall

Jan 28, 2010
n.e. ohio
what kind of mods do my fellow flat landers have planned for this season?? winter IS coming!!! personally cash is kind of tight so im fixing my stator that crapped out last year, and just gunna clean the 900 and polish her up! maybe a wrp seat, still have rider select delete to install aswell!! aug 28th sled wrenchin begins here in ohio!! well atleast dragin the sleds into the garage and sittin on them drinkin beer, begins. lol

S

sw

Sep 10, 2009
Minnesota
Ha! That ranks right up there why my sleds are always stored inside, very good seats while having a cold one! Kinda makes it feel like the season never ended, although you definately know when it begins..does that make any sense? Now I stated in diff. post, there was no mods for me this year but because of the whole sled, beer, garage, thing-that has changed. But I can't report on them untill I've tried to destroy them in a season..so, stay tuned. Enjoy the summer!

R

roni87

Feb 11, 2011
I Falls, MN
summer upgrades

Just picked up a well used 144x2 finger track that I plan to run around here. Probably about a quarter of the fingers are in the 1'' range but it should hook up real good on trails. Also will be adding scratchers...thinking of trying the cable type? anyone had experience with these good or bad?

Premium Features