• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

600 HP Powerstroke 6.4L

8alltheway

Dec 5, 2007
Eastern SD
With this "magical tune" out there supposedly, how reliable are these things? 600 is daaaam impressive regardless with those mods only, but is it just a track tune and not so much a daily driver deal?

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
Is this the Sparton system??

I have rode in the 275hp tune and the 6.4 flat hauls the mail. Uses it as a daily driver as well also tows with it allot on the big loads he drops it down to the 210hp tune. The best part is 18-22mpg empty if you drive it right.

S
Mar 29, 2008
Sunlight Basin, WY
Um, Horsepower doesn't pull trailers guy's, Torque does. Remeber the Cummins has 35% less internal moving engine parts, Moving parts are what fail, The cummins has more torque plus about 6 - 7 miles per gallon better. You don't buy a full size truck to win drag races, that's all horsepower is good for. If you put a heavy load on each outfit then had a drag race the cummins would win every time, plus get better mileage. Hopefully this stirs the pot, I love to argue in a freindly way, Let's go

W
Sep 15, 2008
Spokane, Wa
Um, Horsepower doesn't pull trailers guy's, Torque does. Remeber the Cummins has 35% less internal moving engine parts, Moving parts are what fail, The cummins has more torque plus about 6 - 7 miles per gallon better. You don't buy a full size truck to win drag races, that's all horsepower is good for. If you put a heavy load on each outfit then had a drag race the cummins would win every time, plus get better mileage. Hopefully this stirs the pot, I love to argue in a freindly way, Let's go

The link says he had 1200 lbs of torque. Im thinkin that will pull the sleds over the hill adequately.

H

HYFLYR

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Alaska

Like the other guy said, almost 1200 lbs of torque, its hard to say anything or argue with that. And yes, there are people out there daily driving this tune, to work, towing, and picking up the kids, lol. It is the spartan tuner, they are making killer tunes and custom tuning for people that want and need it, weather it be cold weather tunes or higher full out race tunes. This is there newest tune, they call it the 310, it adds that much to the rear wheels :D

These trucks have been rock solid so far, with people having over 50k and more with tunes pushing more than 200+ hp with stock tranny's. I dont care what you drive though, you have to tip your hat to something that can make over 500hp on a stock trans, intake, and exhaust without blowing up anything. I think ford finally learned from the 6.0 and beefed up there headstuds, strengthened the clutch and drivetrain and now how a descent product, i know i love mine!

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
Thats some pretty crazy numbers. I'm going the low key safe way after alot of research and have a Banks six gun coming should be here next thurs it leaves the DPF intact and doesn't leave any codes on the computer and doesn't bypass any of Fords built in safetys but only adds 100hp on the highest setting.

The new cummins gets the same mileage atleast my friend with an 08 megacab 3/4 ton is getting 12 in the winter and 15 in the summer actual driving. Pulling sleds to MT this winter with my 7X27 inline enclosed he was getting 8-10 depending how fast we were going. My 08 CrewCab 6.4L is doing basically identical mileages. The EPA messed it up for all of us. I've road in a couple duramaxs on the same trip same type of trailers that got the same mileage a bit better on the older ones. 8500 miles on my 6.4L so far and loving it. Last weekend I pulled our 3000# trailer empty 200miles one way at 75mph empty, 100miles with a 5000# pickup on at 75mph and the last 100miles empty again but at 85mph and averaged 12mpg on the trip. Its so much nicer then the gas 1/2tons i've had in the past.

Last edited:
H

HYFLYR

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Alaska
Man, where are all the haters at? I thought this thread would get interesting after awhile with all the cummins lovers out there but i guess the proof is in the puddin' and for once they are speechless guess the little inline six wont put up numbers like this with just simple mods????

J
Mar 19, 2008
I'm not a hater, I think any diesel powered rig making great power is awesome. Maybe your not getting a lot of response because the rest of us duramax and cummins guys like me are sitting here thinking congratulations, it's about time you ford guys have an engine that will make decent power, the rest of us have been doing it for a long time, so welcome to the club. Four years ago i made just under 500 hp with an intake, exhaust, and programmer on my cummins. That 6.4 is dead after this year anyway, it's like musical engines over at ford.
All of the new diesels will make good power. The 6.7s are making great power with the new xrt 175 tune, and theres soon to be a 225 hp tune. That will be even better. I'll take the torque curve of a "little" inline six anyday over a V8 configuration. Theres a HUGE difference between making power on a dyno and making power you can use. Theres a reason ALL the big rigs, construction, and ag equipment use an inline 6 design, and don't tell me it's because of space. I farm, and every single piece of equipment we own has an inline 6 in it. International tried putting a V8 in a tractor years ago, and it was a failure. It was fine as long as you didn't lug it, but as soon as you did the thing fell on it's face, and wouldn't recover.
Sorry for the long post, like i said, i think it's awesome the Fords are making good power, competition is good for all of us. Now let us know when those things are makin 1000 hp. The dodge and chevy guys are there now, so let us know how it feels in ten years.

F

frog

Feb 16, 2009
MN
It's nice to see the fords finally being able to put some power down. For years with both the 7.3 and 6.0 the fuel system was so weak compared to the others that making big power required HUGE changes in the fueling system. IH finally pulled their head from their arses and installed common rail injection on the 6.4 and with the piezo injectors the 6.4 is a definate player.

BTW, would never own one but still nice to see for the blue oval guys.

jthussey

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Minot, ND Big Sky, MT
Hey Johnny!

I have seen it with my own eyes. I was in an 04 Ford 6.0 going up Bozeman pass and a friend of mine was in a 05 dodge 5.9. I was pulling a 4 place as he was too. Both were stock. The ford was the last to downshift @75. Which one lugs better? We were on the phone and he downshifted about a 1000 feet before the ford did. Stock for stock i would take the ford power any day. I won't even talk chevy. I was in a chevy and i was told not to sneeze when going up hill because the truck would go backwards! :D

J
Mar 19, 2008
Hey Johnny!

I have seen it with my own eyes. I was in an 04 Ford 6.0 going up Bozeman pass and a friend of mine was in a 05 dodge 5.9. I was pulling a 4 place as he was too. Both were stock. The ford was the last to downshift @75. Which one lugs better? We were on the phone and he downshifted about a 1000 feet before the ford did. Stock for stock i would take the ford power any day. I won't even talk chevy. I was in a chevy and i was told not to sneeze when going up hill because the truck would go backwards! :D

Man, that really sounds like some quality firsthand experience.

B
Jan 20, 2009
I'm a ford guy I own an F-150 but unless its got a 7.3 I wont touch a ford diesel.... Lookin foward to see the 2010 6.7 diesel tho

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
does anyone know if there are any major changes between the 08 and 09?

Really overall there isn't. The 08s are basically sold for almost 2 yrs with three Jobs or builds. The Job 3s seem to have all the bugs worked out and from what I've read the 09s will be the same setup other then a few option changes. Sounds like the 09s will be sold over about a 1.5yrs and then the 2010s will come out with 6.7L. I'm hoping my wife will let me find a late 09 holdover as right now I'm not to excited about the 6.7L with it using Liquid Nitrogen to meet emissions and have no complaints about my 08. I'd hate to be in the middle of nowhere out of liquid N can't find any and the pickup won't start without it.

Last edited:
A
Nov 30, 2007
alaska
With a tune, dpf delete, and exhaust and stock tranny these things are putting down huge numbers. Just something to stir the pot!!!!:D Heres a link to a graph for all you non believers and haters.

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78528

LOL you crack me up Drew....Just trying to pick up where the old thread left off, eh? hahaha

When are you goin to run this tune? You know you want too

I will be the first to admit, I was very specitcal. I am impressed that they can flow enough fuel to feed that much power, along with the tranny holding. Now that I own a diesel and been doin alot of research on the aftermarket. I am not that impressed over that tune tho....There are a few programs that can make that power for the 5.9 too. But damn, Have to give it to ford for their tranny. That is one thing I wish my dodge had. But oh well, I aint givin my "little" inline 6 up for anything lol

Johnny said:
I'm not a hater, I think any diesel powered rig making great power is awesome. Maybe your not getting a lot of response because the rest of us duramax and cummins guys like me are sitting here thinking congratulations, it's about time you ford guys have an engine that will make decent power, the rest of us have been doing it for a long time, so welcome to the club. Four years ago i made just under 500 hp with an intake, exhaust, and programmer on my cummins. That 6.4 is dead after this year anyway, it's like musical engines over at ford.
All of the new diesels will make good power. The 6.7s are making great power with the new xrt 175 tune, and theres soon to be a 225 hp tune. That will be even better. I'll take the torque curve of a "little" inline six anyday over a V8 configuration. Theres a HUGE difference between making power on a dyno and making power you can use. Theres a reason ALL the big rigs, construction, and ag equipment use an inline 6 design, and don't tell me it's because of space. I farm, and every single piece of equipment we own has an inline 6 in it. International tried putting a V8 in a tractor years ago, and it was a failure. It was fine as long as you didn't lug it, but as soon as you did the thing fell on it's face, and wouldn't recover.
Sorry for the long post, like i said, i think it's awesome the Fords are making good power, competition is good for all of us. Now let us know when those things are makin 1000 hp. The dodge and chevy guys are there now, so let us know how it feels in ten years.

Well put sir

H

HYFLYR

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Alaska
LOL you crack me up Drew....Just trying to pick up where the old thread left off, eh? hahaha

When are you goin to run this tune? You know you want too

I will be the first to admit, I was very specitcal. I am impressed that they can flow enough fuel to feed that much power, along with the tranny holding. Now that I own a diesel and been doin alot of research on the aftermarket. I am not that impressed over that tune tho....There are a few programs that can make that power for the 5.9 too. But damn, Have to give it to ford for their tranny. That is one thing I wish my dodge had. But oh well, I aint givin my "little" inline 6 up for anything lol

Well put sir

I will have this tune soon enough, just waiting to buy a house the the tune is next. But really, what other manufacturer is running 600 hp with stock injectors, pumps, and tranny's and turbos for that matter? These things are powerhouses with stock components, just give the aftermarket time an 1000hp will be on deck soon enough, theres already guys pushing 750 with nitrous and tune only but thats the limits of the stock tranny, which aint bad.

But to say not impressed with that tune, thats silly. the 310 tune is the biggest tune out and can be daily driven, let alone the 275 tune, or the 250 that have been out for over a year now! Dont worry when i get my tunes we will go for a drive and i will let you play follow the leader all day ;)

A
Nov 30, 2007
alaska
I guess I shouldnt say "not impressed". I am not shocked like I was before cause I didnt know what eles is out there. The smarty tnt-r is making huge numbers along with some of the beta tunes as well. Not mention the 3 "Larry" tunes from bully dog make over 230hp. Heck just my basic smarty is able to make 170hp. But what is impressive like I said before, is that they are able to flow enough fuel and the tranny to handle that much power.

I will probably always be playing catch up. Having a 3500 mega cab, she isnt the lightest thing on the road lol.

Premium Features