• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Furnace/heater for enclosed trailer?

S
Feb 10, 2009
Gooding Id
I also put in a radiant heater. got a side mount tank from D&B supply and mounted it between the frame under the nose of the trailer. put a 12v fan in the front next to roof to circlate heat back down and workes good. Also have 4 windows its own 12v bat so it don't have to be hooked to the truck. 2 toy hauler couch-beds that fold up 6 inches off wall. and can still fit 5 sleds in a 27ft charmac.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
RV heaters Forcer air

I put a 40,000 btu in my trailer I found a place to buy some 20,000 btu ones for around 350 I can see if I can still get them if you want one. Very nice and work great.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Will that run driving down the Road?

Looks real nice I was just wondering were you put the intake in the front if the wind driving down the road would affect it? I put mine on the side for that reason but did not know.

I closed mine in and built some cabinets around it.

DCFN0018-1.jpg

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Looks real nice I was just wondering were you put the intake in the front if the wind driving down the road would affect it? I put mine on the side for that reason but did not know.

I closed mine in and built some cabinets around it.

DCFN0018-1.jpg

You know what's funny.... I built a guard to shield it a bit and it would always blow out. Then after trying a couple different designs and some experimenting figured out that it was best left unshielded. I did, however, cover it with some steel screen to eliminate the possibility of debris getting in there. So far so good..... I would have rather had the vent on the side but the size of this trailer didn't leave me any options.

I
Sep 29, 2008
Idaho Falls Idaho
I am looking to put one of the suburban SF series furnaces in my trailer and I want to mount it the "skinny" way so i only sticks out into the trailer seven inches and not twenty, but the intake and exhaust come out the backside so you would have to turn them. I have seen plenty on here mounted the way I want but I am just not sure how to do it? I did see above where one of the guys just used a nintey degree elbow to make it go outside, is that my only option?

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
On instructions that I read, they state to not add any length or bends in the combustion intake or exhaust. You can probably fib that a little, but I would keep it as simple as possible.

I
Sep 29, 2008
Idaho Falls Idaho
On instructions that I read, they state to not add any length or bends in the combustion intake or exhaust. You can probably fib that a little, but I would keep it as simple as possible.

So I would have to mount and install it length wise? I have seen quite a few, on this thread even that are the "skinny" way. How much do you think it could be fibbed?

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I don't know. Looks like some have different diameter pipes. Mine were less than 2" I'd think that a foot would be ok w/o and bends. Remember that the exhaust will be extremely hot, so I'd also make sure that there isn't any wood contacting the pipe.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho

I had some pipe that fit the same size as the exhaust pipe. I welded the 90* in and sent it out the side. It draws combustion air from inside the trailer and blows the exhaust outside.

I dont think it is going to hurt to add 12 or so inches to your exhaust as long as it flows freely with no restrictions. If its too long or restrictricted I could see it overheating the furnace and casuing problems.

M

Thanks RMK looked around on some forums allot of good results with those heaters they also are very compact a little pricy but the diesel would be nice and they use very little fuel.

Also checked these out. From what I found you would need the D4 or D5 model for an enclosed trailer. The D2 model runs $1500 and the D5 is right at $2000 according to the truck company I talked with. They also said that they weren't sure if the price on the D5 included all the necessary pieces for installation. Really nice compact unit, but like SNOW JW said, a little pricy.

sledstormed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho
I had some pipe that fit the same size as the exhaust pipe. I welded the 90* in and sent it out the side. It draws combustion air from inside the trailer and blows the exhaust outside.

I dont think it is going to hurt to add 12 or so inches to your exhaust as long as it flows freely with no restrictions. If its too long or restrictricted I could see it overheating the furnace and casuing problems.[/QUO

I have the same heater you installed (Atwood 8940 AC) that I'm in the process of installing. I really like the install you did and am going to do mine the same way. Do you have any pics of the outside of your exhaust port and is there anything you'd do different if installing another? Thanks.

Keith517

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
i installed a heater not using any power source,very low profile,it's in my 27ft. install was easy,quiet,intake and exhaust from outside,use it hunting at fall and sledding in winter,i find it warms the trailer evenly front to back,i like it.
What type of heater is that and where did you get it? Also, what elevation do you use it at? Have you tried it at over 5000 feet?
Anyone else have any experience with these vented wall mount heaters? If so how did they work?

Thanks,

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I hope those propane tanks aren't laying on their sides. The manager at the local LP shop told me that if you lay a regular propane tank on it's side what happens is the the liquid propane flows out of the tank and not the gas. which can make for a really serious problem. EXPLOSION. I went in to get my tank filled for my camper and he said he couldn't fill it for safety reason. I had to buy a tank that was designed to be laid on it side. Told me the way the tank vents the propane. I hope this helps

Yes! do yourself a favor and buy horizontal LP tanks.

So are you guys with the RV furnaces using battery powered ignition or wiring to a trailer battery?

Last edited:

jokerman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Wy.
Have a 28', insulated walls and ceiling,using a sf35f surburban forced air,progressive converter,1 trojan t-27 deep cycle battery,also have 110v land line for generator,at my house ele.7220' where I park to ride 8500'-9250',heats trailer up fast and maintains temp great,no issuses at all ,dry's clothes out overnight...besides" THE WIFE LOVES IT" if she's happy I'M in lala land keep writing the check's LOL:face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-ton

Premium Features