• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

lost spark not power??

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
was riding with a bud yesterday his sled shutoff 2 or 3 times and then a no go!! just wont start. lights and dash light up when you try?? don't hear the fuel pump{not a cat guy but assume we should hear it} their is no spark either! I will probably start with the kill switch and then the key switch but was hoping one of you cat pros could talk me thru some simple tests/checks do to the fact that we don't have a extra sled to swap parts off of

0oO yea the sled is a 2007 M1000 it has a Dyno jet power commander V and a full slp Y pipe, pipe and can. other than that I think its all stock but ill ask him when he gets hear later today. he said it thru a code but he cant remember what it was and I don't know how to power up the display to get it! thanks for the help in advance any ideas are appreciated :D

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I'd shoot some starting fluid down the intake and see if it fires or tries to. Quick way to see if you're dealing with a fuel or ignition problem.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Should have mentioned I'd put a new set of plugs in it first then hit it with starting fluid. If you get nothing I'd check for power at the coils, if there is power make sure it "strobes" when pulling the rope. If no power I'd disconnect the Dyno Jet and see what happens.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
yea we tried it with new plugs {just 1 of those no brainers} I will check with the probe later to day {but its hard to think that all 4 coils or wirers went bad all at the same time} as for the Dyno jet I can just unplug it and that will fully delete it from the system? {I have lots of time fixing mechanical problems on sleds.....but when it comes to the electrical end of things im as lost as a blind puppy! I did unplug all the connections and checked for corrosion and all were clean! thanks again for the help and ill let you know what the results are.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
so I tried testing behind coils on wires and no power. unplugged the power commander and plugged factory harness back in and still no spark!

so I have a few question's
#1- how or can I? power up the screen display to get the code that it threw
#2 how can I by pass the key switch to insure its not the problem
#3 how do I bypass the kill switch to insure its not the problem

Symptoms are still NO SPARK--and I still don't hear the fuel pump...................the headlights glow when its pulled over and the dash screen lights up
we pulled recoil to look for broken/rusted connections/pickups all looked ok but didn't pop off the magneto

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I'll habe to think a bit on all the possibles I found but the first time it happened to me was a injector wire grounded on heat shield. It cut spark. Most of the time adding controllers I see rubbed wires Aarons injectors

Text me ill run through the bases with you 307 272 1695

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I think tss could cause it as well.

This is what I usually do, unplug hood, check spark, unplug bars, (fyi, you Will have to plug in to shut off if it starts) check, unplug brake light, check ( check fuses just because). Unplug main harness coming off engine for auxiliary.
If no spark still, start testing stator, but if you have a ground on the circuit it could fail.
Most likely, it's a grounded out wire, isolate first, then chase.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
wire looking

age of the sled would lead me to start with rubbing wires, moving parts are usually the culprit. As wy pointed out, taillight/brake light wiring under tank and pinched somewhere and finally wearing through have been and M series isssue.

Then, wiring under tank that moves with the steering column and slides around on top of the tunnel as steering column turns.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
thanks for the replies!! my buds got a friend that has the same sled and he talked him in to letting him plug his ECU in to it to see if the problem follows the ECU{his friend was reluctant to let him strip and test parts off his sled and took him some doing to talk his way in to letting him test his ECU on his sled :( .... my bud is working lots of hours for the next couple of weeks but comes over every night even fi its only for 35-45 minuets if that's all he has!! he is going to test the ECU tonight and then come over and we will start running through the list as time lets us. it will take time do to "lack of time" but ill try to keep you all posted on what we find..

and thanks again for all the help!!!!! we have ben riding the mountain's in Alaska for going on 5 weeks and its looking like hes going to miss this one if we cant pull it together lol

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
so the ECU is good
unplugged tail light no go
unplugged hood no go
unplugged bars no go
only found 1 fuse and its good
have checked and rechecked all wirers we can get to with pipe-can-gas tank-heat shields and basic covers off and found no breaks/bear wires!
but I'm not sure witch/where to un plug auxiliary?? we have not taken off the oil judge so I don't have good eyes on the stator/mag housing, or can I just unplug one side of the ECU?
we have a book on order and its suppose to be hear tomorrow but we live in northpole Alaska so we will see!

Last edited:

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
Can’t help you with how to check the stator. You might be able to search it on here and find some info. But my sons 07 m1000 with some of the same type aftermarket parts, stator went out twice. Fell flat like you mentioned. I’d definitely find out how to check it and do that next. I don’t think the aftermarket parts had anything to do with it though. Good luck. I’m jealous you guys have been riding so much already. We have had a really bad start to winter here in Northeastern CA. Rain, but to warm during the storms we have had.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
well the stator is not ohming out right so I think the stator is shot. going to order an aftermarket one in a few days any suggestion's/comments on a good one? or is their any to stay away from? thanks.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
thanks kiliki...is their 1 that's better than the other?

how many miles were you getting between stators deanross?
sorry to hear that the season is so slow for you deanross the snow will come in big fluffs.....I COMMAND IT :D ...

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
He got a few thousand miles out of the original one. The second one only a few hundred. I don’t remember if he bought a used one or where he got it. I can ask him what happened. Hope that is the problem, sounds like it.

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
So I talked to my son and all he remembers is he bought an aftermarket one off of eBay. It didn’t last very long and he doesn’t remember what the warranty was. He was to busy getting his sled going again. He was able to solder a loose wire back on his old stator and rode it all last year with no issues. Sorry, that’s not much help.

Premium Features