• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pick up a pro, need suggestions

L
Dec 12, 2012
Spokane, WA
I just picked up a 2012 pro 163. I would like to replace the stock rear bumper with something more sturdy because it feels like I'm going to rip it off picking up the rear end. I need suggestions on a new rear bumper and also I would like to add a tether. What brand of tether is good? I need a spare belt as well. Just buy a stock oem one or are there better brands for less money? Thank you.

Last edited:
L
Mar 1, 2016
Northen Sweden
Can't recommend any rear bumpers but when it comes to tethers I would recommend you to stay far away from the kind that Polaris makes because the cap thing needs to be replaced every other weekend so put the extra money on a pro Armour tether and like the others said, get the gates carbon belt

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Can't recommend any rear bumpers but when it comes to tethers I would recommend you to stay far away from the kind that Polaris makes because the cap thing needs to be replaced every other weekend so put the extra money on a pro Armour tether and like the others said, get the gates carbon belt

There's a easy and inexpensive fix for the cap not making contact problem.

L
Dec 12, 2012
Spokane, WA
Thanks everyone. Ordering pro armor tether and gates 44c belt along with a new throttle cable since the case is cracked in places and looks a little rusty. The previous owner said he ran polaris gold oil in it. Should I sticky with that or is there an equivilant oil for less money or just a better one for the same?

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
I don't run VES oil due to fact I think it is overpriced and warranty cannot be denied for not using it.

I've ran Mystic JT-4 (JASO FC spec oil) initialy in my '14 Pro and then switched to Quicksilver SNOWMOBILE oil I found on clearance that was rated as exceeding JASO FD and ISO EGD specs. Both run clean and very little problem with power valve buildup even though I'm running about 38:1 gas:eek:il ratio.

Wife's sled gets the cheap stuff, Walmart supertech blended with 10% AA grade degummed castor oil with goal of it being run at 45-50:1 oil ratio (still adjusting the oil pump to get it just right). It takes a little more effort to pull the cord on a cold morning but runs great and the slight castor smell in exhaust reminds me of flying model airplanes. Power valves were very clean at 100 hours and I felt I wasted my time even checking them. I can't justify using a better oil for her sled because its old iron and she rides barely above clutch engagement rpm.

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Oil is like blond, brunette, red head... I run Gold or Legend, neither is free. I get Gold for $36/gal local. Legend can always be bought online, but you also have ship.

The "Standard" RMK rear aluminum bumper tube drops in, you drill out the rivets on the carbon tube. Rivet or bolt new tube in. Did it on my 11 in 2011 for $30US after my parts discount, shattered the carbon (could have gutted an elk with the shards). Part # 5336406-458. Holz used to sell a knurled version, don't know if they still offer it. You can spend $150 or more if you want to on 10 other options.

Polaris factory tether has been cheap and flawless for me, but has to be installed correctly, and cover lubed. You can have issues if you don't do both. JMPE.

Last edited:
Premium Features