• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PS 700 crank shaft snapped and primary broke off

B
Mar 31, 2011
Calgary
Was trail riding with friends yesterday and the primary clutch snapped off. It is a pretty clean brake. Engine starts and runs perfectly. The clutch spun and rolled in to the secondary as you would expect.

It's a 99 PS 700 with 1,800 miles. I paid $1,200 for it.

Is this a simple repair? From what I see I'd need the shaft, plus either repair work or replacement of the primary and secondary clutches. The insides of both sheaves on both clutches is scratched.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Depending on the responses, I may want to buy any used parts or be selling a PS 700 parts sled!

Thanks guys!

-1.jpg -2.jpg -3.jpg -4.jpg

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
It is not exactly 'easy' but it could be worse. You will need to completely disassemble the engine and have a new PTO end pressed on the crankshaft. Somebody here on Snowest might have used crank you could get for less.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
The ol' cat

you don't have to feel singled out, the old 650/700 were and always will be crank eaters. Makes good used cranks harder to find. Caution on buying used ones, as you might guess lots of about to be dead ones around. In the day most serious 700 mod riders owned at least one spare crank.

Why do they go.......they vibrate, the vibrations quickly turn the clutch's to aluminum dust making the worm out clutch's rattle harder and vibrate the vibrating engine and its often a crank that goes. Make sure you consult with a good cat mechanic thats worked on these before you drop in a crank, the water pump /oil pump drive gear setup all has to be properly shimmed so your pumps will work, just throwing in a crank out of another motor is hit or miss, might work, might crap drive setup in 20 miles. Probably can find some on line threads on checking correct spacing, not rocket science, just be aware and careful about fit of the helical crank drive gear and how it meshes with cross shaft gear. You take it apart, you'll see.

S
Sep 16, 2010
You will definitely need a complete new crank. If you're mechanically inclined, and you can get your hands on a new or rebuilt crank, it can be replaced. It might be easier to find a parts sled with a running motor though, especially since you need clutches too.

Premium Features